VivaLaMikey

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:09 AM

Hey all just decided i would do a 3rrod prevention mod on my elite so i removed the clamps and proceeded to replace the clamps with bolts and washers once i did that i put it all back together and plugged it in and then i got a bit of a shock... i got the 3red lights straight away and after about 5 seconds i got a 2 red lights, the fans spooled up real fast then stopped. I had a look around on the net and found on you tube that this is also caused by the heat sinks not contacting the GPU or CPU so i removed a washer from each bolt and tightened them up after that i got the 3rod and did the secondary code check and came up with 0031 (apparently related to the heatsinks being too tight) so i cleaned the sinks up again and put the washers back in and loosened them but now no matter how loose i have them i keep getting 0031 and i cant even get it too overheat it just stays cold so im pretty much stuck at a dead end and not sure what to do.

Just a note apparently there can be something to do with the ram bricks but im not sure what these are and also it can be because the heat sinks are touching the resistors but from what i can see this is not the case.

Anyone got any ideas?

Also this is the thread i used to try sort mine out http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=660069
But to no avail

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Spec wise in case anyone needs it.

360 elite with 120gb HDD with HDMI port
MFR Date 2008-09-07
Lite-On Drive (flashed)
Foxconn

Not sure what other specs might be needed.

One last thing i have fixed at least 30 360's with various errors and flashed all types of drives including the new lite-on so i definitely know my around a 360 (other than the ram blocks... go figure lol) but this one has me absolutely stumped. I have only owed it for about 2months and just flashed it about 2 days ago was working fine up until today when i decided to do the prevention mod.

#2 ilovemyfbm

ilovemyfbm

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:Girlfriend, riding Bmx, never being home.
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:35 AM

I had this eeror recently, well I kinda still do.
Its like this, i'll turn on the 360 and it'll boot up normally but as soon as I would play a game, boom instant rrod, but then I realized if i have no fans on at all, and let the heatsinks warm up a little, then it would play games like normal, i still have this problem but whatever. I just let it warm up and i can play for hours with no rrod.
Also, check your thermal paste, make sure none of it is touchiing anything else, like resistors or something. Just on the both of the chips.

#3 AJShinal

AJShinal

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:50 AM

try putting the clamps back on biggrin.gif

um idk, i would say scrape off the old thermal pste and re apply some new stuff and tighten the sinks down as tight as theyll go.

#4 ilovemyfbm

ilovemyfbm

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:Girlfriend, riding Bmx, never being home.
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:35 AM

Also, maybe the washers you're using are a bit too skinny and are shorting out the resistors, can be the problem, who knows.

#5 VivaLaMikey

VivaLaMikey

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:41 AM

Yea well to start with i thought maybe it was the washers cause the washers i normally use i couldn't find so i ended up using zinc instead of stainless which are thicker and that's when i got the 2 red lights which is where the sinks weren't touching the chips so i removed 1 from each bolt and now it says they're too tight and even with the sinks completely off it still says its too tight.

And without the fans doesn't really make a difference cause the fans don't even work, when i turn the 360 on straight away within 1 sec of power on i get the error and the sinks don't heat up even after a half hour of it running.

Will try getting hold of some m5 stainless washers and re thermal pasting it, i just hope like hell its not a cold solder joint under one of my ram bricks or CPU/GPU.

Will keep you guys posted, if anyone else has any ideas I'm down to try it as its pretty much fucked anyway.

Cheers so far.

And i did try put the clamps back on but didn't really work

#6 VivaLaMikey

VivaLaMikey

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:53 PM

Tried cleaning off the thermal paste and redoing it but still got the same problem i cant imagine changing washers will work so im not going to bother as i still get the same error code with the heatsinks completely off this is the link for the video i took off my main board along with error code and the symptoms im getting maybe that might help someone narrow it down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users