#1 buzz44

buzz44

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:44 PM

Hello,

I done this 12v mod awhile ago > http://i12.photobuck...7/12vbottom.jpg > http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=637955

Tonight I decided I wanted to put a switch in so I can have he normal 5v and switch it 12v whenever.

I soldered all the wires, and soldered them to the switch aswell, and tested it with the motherboard outside of the metal housing, it worked. I think put the motherboard back in, dvd drive in, tryed it one more time, and instead of switching between 5v and 12v it was on 12v (or sounded like), all the time, no matter if I switched it or not...

Long story short. I de-soldered ALL the wires so it's completely stock, and now the CPU fan is on 12v all the time (sounds like it) and the GPU fan doesn't work at all!!!

I don't get it. I checked my solder job and it is ACE, I don't understand what is happening ><.

Any help? Or hopefully someone can give me some points to check with a multi-meter so I can see what's happening.

I tested the 12v (yellow) leg and the CPU (black) with a multimeter by putting the black leg on the metal casing to the power, or usb etc (all are grounded from what I've red), and putting the red leg on each of them. The 12v/yellow leg came back as expected, 12v, but so did the black/CPU leg O_o. I really don't understand where it's coming from ><. It's not bridged at all, and why doesn't the GPU fan work?

#2 Robotboy1

Robotboy1

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:52 PM

same thing happened to me.

#3 Sic Of Life

Sic Of Life

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Interests:SlipKnot
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:42 PM

Cut off the fan header connector thingy (I don't know what it's called but it's the plug that plugs into the motherboard.) Twist the two + wires together (red and brown I believe) and the two grounds together. Solder a wire to the + wires you twisted together and do the same for the ground wires. Then wire it up to a 12v spot and ground. If it works, you shorted something out when you put it in the metal cage and blew your fan header.
If it doesn't work, then idunno.

#4 buzz44

buzz44

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:26 AM

QUOTE(Robotboy1 @ Feb 27 2009, 06:28 AM) View Post

same thing happened to me.

And?

QUOTE(Sic Of Life @ Feb 27 2009, 08:18 AM) View Post

Cut off the fan header connector thingy (I don't know what it's called but it's the plug that plugs into the motherboard.) Twist the two + wires together (red and brown I believe) and the two grounds together. Solder a wire to the + wires you twisted together and do the same for the ground wires. Then wire it up to a 12v spot and ground. If it works, you shorted something out when you put it in the metal cage and blew your fan header.
If it doesn't work, then idunno.

The reason I done this version is because I didn't want a permanent method that involved cutting the wires. Any other ideas?

When I put it back in the metal case, I believe both fans were working. I didn't actually bother to look at the fans, but by putting my hand behind both fans it was obvious they were on and running at 12v. It very may well of shorted but continued to work because it was connected to the CPU fan.

Any points I can check with a multi meter ><?

#5 buzz44

buzz44

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:30 AM

Going by this thread > http://forums.xbox-s...mode=linearplus

... I've blown the Q3A2 transistor on the top of the board and it needs to be replaced. Anyway I can double check this?

#6 The_Doctor

The_Doctor

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:09 PM

you could probably solder a wire from a 12v point under the power connector to the underside of the fan connector.

EDIT: sorry, didnt realise you wanted a switch.

Edited by The_Doctor, 27 February 2009 - 08:15 PM.

#7 Robotboy1

Robotboy1

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:40 AM

QUOTE(buzz44 @ Feb 26 2009, 06:02 PM) View Post

And?

I just bought a new 360 tongue.gif

#8 Sic Of Life

Sic Of Life

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Interests:SlipKnot
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:08 AM

I'll take your old 360! But really that wasn't necessary. All you had to do was cut 4 wires.

#9 Robotboy1

Robotboy1

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:08 AM

QUOTE(Sic Of Life @ Feb 27 2009, 05:44 PM) View Post

I'll take your old 360! But really that wasn't necessary. All you had to do was cut 4 wires.

well it would be just the mother board and DVD drive. and some of the resistors on the bottom have been moved. I'll send you a PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users