12 replies to this topic

#1 marcolisi

marcolisi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:40 PM

Hello guys, I have 2 questions pls :

1) are all the xbox360 model flashable ?

If I buy a brand new xbox360 today at bestbuy in USA, 27 february 2009, do u think I could end up with a model that has a DVD player that is not flashable to play backup games ? Do u have any model from which I should stay away and not buy ?
Is there any way to understand which model of xbox I have without opening it and looking at the dvd brand ?

2) If I flash the dvd player so that it can read backup games, can I still buy a xbox live card to play the games online ?

Thank you

Edited by marcolisi, 27 February 2009 - 08:43 PM.

#2 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,810 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:45 PM

Yes all drives are flashable. Your new console will come with a Liteon drive. This is a very good drive to play backups but it will require you buying some hardware and maybe having some soldering skills to flash it.

#3 marcolisi

marcolisi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ Feb 27 2009, 09:21 PM) View Post

Yes all drives are flashable. Your new console will come with a Liteon drive. This is a very good drive to play backups but it will require you buying some hardware and maybe having some soldering skills to flash it.

Hi and tx for the reply.
When u say that I may need some hardware, u mean that I may need a :

VIA VT6421 PCI SATA card

to connect my pc to the xbox360.

Am I correct ?

and when u say soldering is that because for some dvd I need to connect 2 circuits together. Am I correct ?

How can u be sure that I will have a Liteon drive ? and also will the flashing method (soldering possibility) change with the model number of the Liteon Drive that the xbox mounts ?
Thanks again

Edited by marcolisi, 27 February 2009 - 09:35 PM.

#4 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • 7,810 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE(marcolisi @ Feb 27 2009, 10:10 PM) View Post

Hi and tx for the reply.
When u say that I may need some hardware, u mean that I may need a :

VIA VT6421 PCI SATA card

to connect my pc to the xbox360.

Am I correct ?

and when u say soldering is that because for some dvd I need to connect 2 circuits together. Am I correct ?

How can u be sure that I will have a Liteon drive ? and also will the flashing method (soldering possibility) change with the model number of the Liteon Drive that the xbox mounts ?
Thanks again

If the console is newer than April 2007 it will have a Liteon.

No the VIA card is not realy needed. You will need to buy completly different hardware. You can start by looking at this.

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=673927

#5 marcolisi

marcolisi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:08 PM

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ Feb 27 2009, 10:38 PM) View Post

If the console is newer than April 2007 it will have a Liteon.

No the VIA card is not realy needed. You will need to buy completly different hardware. You can start by looking at this.

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=673927

So I need to buy The Maximus Xtractor and Spear

http://www.maximusga...360xtractor.php

but it seems a complicated thing to do....

isn't it easier to buy a old version of the xbox on ebay and flash the old dvd with a simpler method ?

Why do u think that xbox with a liteon dvd is the way to go for playing backup games ?
than kyou

#6 marcolisi

marcolisi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:35 PM

isn't it easier to buy a old version of the xbox on ebay and flash the old dvd with a simpler method ?

Why do u think that xbox with a liteon dvd is the way to go for playing backup games ?

What happen if I buy a new xbox and then I buy a benq dvd player and then I mount it on my xbox and I flash the benq dvd using the old method ?

than kyou

#7 DanB91

DanB91

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:50 PM

QUOTE(marcolisi @ Feb 27 2009, 06:11 PM) View Post

What happen if I buy a new xbox and then I buy a benq dvd player and then I mount it on my xbox and I flash the benq dvd using the old method ?

than kyou

The lite on is most complicated out of the drives to flash. IMO until a soft unlock solution comes out it's just not worth it.

Your best bet is to buy a used 360. You cannot swap drives since each drive is locked to the 360 by a key. And the only way to get the liteon key is with the xtractor/ck3.

#8 marcolisi

marcolisi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE(DanB91 @ Feb 28 2009, 12:26 AM) View Post

The lite on is most complicated out of the drives to flash. IMO until a soft unlock solution comes out it's just not worth it.

Your best bet is to buy a used 360. You cannot swap drives since each drive is locked to the 360 by a key. And the only way to get the liteon key is with the xtractor/ck3.

Thanks, but if I buy an used xbox360, how do I know which dvd driver does it have ? and also, may it happen that I buy the used xbox360 and it has already been banned by microsoft ?
thank you

#9 DanB91

DanB91

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:26 AM

QUOTE(marcolisi @ Feb 27 2009, 06:41 PM) View Post

Thanks, but if I buy an used xbox360, how do I know which dvd driver does it have ? and also, may it happen that I buy the used xbox360 and it has already been banned by microsoft ?
thank you

http://www.poolecomp...e3360Drives.jpg

to tell the difference between the benq and the liteon, you have to take off the face plate and look into the oval hole underneath the drive. if there is a white wire, it is a benq, if it is a yellow wire it is a lite on

About the banned thing: if the 360 is banned, just return it. (This is assuming ur buying from gamestop)

#10 chorizo1

chorizo1

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,883 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:54 AM

QUOTE(chorizo1 @ Feb 26 2009, 11:38 PM) View Post

I bought THIS and THIS , and used a PC that can boot from USB (in case i needed DOS).

I have done BenQs and Sammys with just JF

LiteOn reads and preps the hacked firmware with JF, and erased/flashed with DOS
READ the pdf guide that comes with JF
NOTE:

If you really think you can't do it, just pay someone and save yourself the hassle.

LiteON's are NOT difficult to flash, if you buy the right stuff, and follow directions.

#11 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • 7,810 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:01 AM

QUOTE(marcolisi @ Feb 27 2009, 11:44 PM) View Post

It may be easier but due to the 3rrod it wont likely last long. Your best bet is to get a new 360 with the cooler Jasper motherboard. Yes it will have a Liteon drive but they are not that hard to do and they happen to be the best drive out for reading backups.

Also your suggestion on swapping the drive would work. BUT you will have to still get the same hardware so you can read the drive key from the Liteon drive so you can use that info to flash the replacement drive. It would be far easier and cheaper to just flash the liteon instead.

#12 marcolisi

marcolisi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:12 AM

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ Feb 28 2009, 03:37 AM) View Post

Your best bet is to get a new 360 with the cooler Jasper motherboard. Yes it will have a Liteon drive but they are not that hard to do and they happen to be the best drive out for reading backups.

Sorry to be repetitive, but I am new at the xbox world. I have a ps2 that I personally modded 2 times. Thw first time to read cd backups and then later to read dvd backups when the dvd price went dows. I open it and solder the modchips myself. I was almost getting blind and I change my underwear few times before finishing the job from the difficoult that it was....

Regarding xbox, I do not understand anything right now.

When u say :

Your best bet is to get a new 360 with the cooler Jasper motherboard. Yes it will have a Liteon drive but they are not that hard to do and they happen to be the best drive out for reading backups.

How do I understand if the xbox that I bought has a cooler Jasper motherboard ? Where I could buy an xbox with these characteristics.

Also, you say that it is aesy to flash a Liteon drive, but can u suggest me a link where I could buy the best items (hardware) for having flashing the xbox the easiest that it can be ?

When I asked u : isn't it easier to buy a old version of the xbox on ebay and flash the old dvd with a simpler method ?

You said : It may be easier but due to the 3rrod it wont likely last long.

What is the 3rrod ? Why it would not last long ?

Last question is : if u guys says that if I buy a new xbox right now at best buy, I get a Liteon dvd, because all the 2008 xbox have the Liteon dvd , is the method to flash the Liteon DVD the same for all the xbox ? What I mean is that, are all the Liteon DVD identical, or could they come in different models that needs different items or different method to flash ?
Thank you

Edited by marcolisi, 28 February 2009 - 03:19 AM.

#13 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • 7,810 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:12 AM

QUOTE(marcolisi @ Feb 28 2009, 03:48 AM) View Post

Sorry to be repetitive, but I am new at the xbox world. I have a ps2 that I personally modded 2 times. Thw first time to read cd backups and then later to read dvd backups when the dvd price went dows. I open it and solder the modchips myself. I was almost getting blind and I change my underwear few times before finishing the job from the difficoult that it was....

Regarding xbox, I do not understand anything right now.

When u say :

How do I understand if the xbox that I bought has a cooler Jasper motherboard ? Where I could buy an xbox with these characteristics.

Also, you say that it is aesy to flash a Liteon drive, but can u suggest me a link where I could buy the best items (hardware) for having flashing the xbox the easiest that it can be ?

When I asked u : isn't it easier to buy a old version of the xbox on ebay and flash the old dvd with a simpler method ?

You said : It may be easier but due to the 3rrod it wont likely last long.

What is the 3rrod ? Why it would not last long ?

Last question is : if u guys says that if I buy a new xbox right now at best buy, I get a Liteon dvd, because all the 2008 xbox have the Liteon dvd , is the method to flash the Liteon DVD the same for all the xbox ? What I mean is that, are all the Liteon DVD identical, or could they come in different models that needs different items or different method to flash ?
Thank you

We can hold your hand forever but the fact is that all those questions can has been asked and answered in these forums. Start by reading the stickies at the top of the page and go from there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users