X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:42 PM

Hello all,

One reason I've always loved winamp on the pc is that you can add your entire collection in seconds to the playlist and play randomly. This has never really been my experience with xbmc and I can't work out the reason.

For example hit TITLE and 'queue item' on my albums folder (approx 700 albums), it takes xbmc about 7 minutes to add all the tracks to the now playing list. Once they're there, you hit 'now playing' thats another 4minutes (!) tongue.gif just to get to that list. If you then hit 'shuffle' so as to get a random playlist, that's another minute or two for xbmc to re-organise them.

Hit play (finally) and it starts playing. But then I hit fullscreen, and the graphics are all corrupt. (similar to the effect you get when a graphics card is on it's way out).

So that's nearing 10minutes to get what I want. blink.gif

What's going on here? There must be a more efficient way of doing this? What is xbmc doing all that time? (is it reading all the media info as it moves tracks to the playlist?) -is this even necessary?

About my setup
All tracks are coming from a 500gb NAS drive (100mbit).

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:02 PM

Are you playing the albums from the folder view, or from the library? If you aren't using the library then scan the albums to your library rather than playing them from the folder, then play them from the library. That way you aren't reading the files every time, just reading the database.

You can then improve XBMC library performance significantly by making sure that all your tags are normalised (identical spelling and capitalisation for the same Artist - e.g. make all REM albums by REM, not some by REM and some by R.E.M.). The same applies to all tag fields that XBMC reads - including genre. Watch out for leading and trailing spaces, and double spaces, and ' and `!!. M3Tag is really useful for helping you with tag normalising, as is foobar 2000. Manually adding an "Album Artist" tag value of "Various Artists" for all multiple artist compilations also seems to help. All of these will make the database smaller, and hence make indexing and scanning quicker. I have ~1800 albums, and normalising before scanning sorted the album problem for me.

If you're already using the library it would be worth cleaning the library then rescanning after you've done the normalising. Actually, it might be quicker deleting your library database and starting again. smile.gif

Also, running a lighter weight skin helps, because it leaves you more memory for database operations.

Note that even with this normalisation XBMC still crashes with large queries, like viewing the library by song rather than album. I haven't worked out how to fix this yet!!

Edited by Heimdall, 28 February 2009 - 01:21 PM.

#3 drunkmunk

drunkmunk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:46 PM

and to add to what heimdall has already said after you scan your items to the library and you want instantaneous shuffled music just select "party mode" while using the library. that's what I do. music start in about 1 second instead of waiting to scan.

to take it a step further you can also remote code "party mode" for your remote so you can get instant shuffled playlist music without having to turn on the tv. biggrin.gif

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:04 PM

Just spotted a couple of typos in my previous post - Mp3Tag is the tagging program, and the tag name for "Various Artists" compilations is "Albumartist" - all one word.

#5 PantsOnFire

PantsOnFire

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:28 AM

Thanks for the tips all, I'll definitely be tidying up my library tags.

Now, Party Mode.. great suggestion (thank you), but I'm having a problem with it.

I tried to create a new 'smart playlist', ran thru some basic things, must include x, y and z etc. then finally it asks you to save the playlist (giving it a name). So I did, but after that, the playlist doesn't actually save tongue.gif (or appear in the playlist list).

Hmpf I thought.

So I then set about editing the existing playlist (Party Mode Playlist). I created a new rule, 'find items where Genre is "Funk"'. Great, so that works. Only plays funk songs, but little did I know that you can't remove that rule to get the 'party mode playlist' back to normal (ie - to include ALL tracks in your library).

If I try and DELETE it, by hitting INFO, then DELETE, xbmc asks me: "Delete these files? PartyMode.xsp"

---I don't want to delete it as I might not get it back. So I ran a search for "partymode.xsp" in my xbmc folder and no files were found. wink.gif

Does this file return if it is deleted? If not, where can I find it? And is it editable? (like an xml file for example).

Thanks again.

#6 drunkmunk

drunkmunk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:51 PM

here's a topic I started a while back when I first started using party mode. It may answer a couple of your questions.

http://xbmc.org/foru...ead.php?t=31598

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users