9 replies to this topic

#1 WeaOz

WeaOz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:24 AM

Hi all,

I hope you can help me recovering the gaems I have in the HDD. I have Evox 2.7 and Executer2 modchip.

In the process of backing up a game, there was a reading error (possibly the disk was not clean) and it asked me to continue or cancel. Before I could answer, my son inadvertently switched off the power supply. when I rebooted, I found I lost quite number of games already backed up in the HDD. I now only have some of them, which did not represent any order of backing up.

I think the rest of games are still in the HDD as the avaialable disk space is unchanged. Just that I can't find them either thru Avalaunch or Explorer. I have even connected the box to my PC and still cant see them.

It appears that something went scewy and the index table, or something similar was modified (given that it was backing up a game at the time). I hope there is a backup file somewhere that I can recover and rename so that the box can find the missing games again.

Thanks in advance for your help

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:28 AM

The Xbox file system doesn't do backup files! Photorec can be used to recover files, but the names will probably be missing. It will be easier to rerip the games.

But before you do that, how big is your hard drive, how full is it, and how did you format it?

Edited by Heimdall, 01 March 2009 - 02:30 AM.

#3 WeaOz

WeaOz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:41 AM

it's 300GB with about 250GB filled.

I didn't reformat. I was usign dvd to xbox tool to back up the game and power was lost before it finished. does dvd to xbox create a backup game lis file before it modifies it? The fact that Avalaunch can pickup the games I see via explorer may help.

I have not been exposed to Photorec

on a different topic. I use FlashFxp 3 for Pc to Xbox transfer and for some reason it gives me a very slow transfer (2KBps) instead of 1000 times faster. It happened to a mate of mine awhile ago and we fixed it, but I cant remmeber what we changed. Any clue why?

Thanks

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:48 AM

I didn't say you'd reformatted it - I asked how you formatted it in the first place!

Not that it matters - you've answered the question indirectly. For partitions > 256GB you have to use XBPartitioner 1.1 to format the disk, and it sounds as though you didn't. The consequence is that you get disk corruption when the disk has more than 256GB on it, and it sounds as though you've reached that limit.

Don't try to write anything else to the disk. If there's anything on there you don't have backed up try to recover it. Photorec might be able to recover any deleted files. Once you've done that, reformat the disk with XBPartitioner 1.1 (it has to be 1.1, not the earlier version), and start again. smile.gif

Edited by Heimdall, 01 March 2009 - 02:54 AM.

#5 WeaOz

WeaOz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 03:16 AM

Apologies. didnt read properly.

I haven't come across photorec yet. Is it self explainatory?

Thanks.

#6 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:24 AM

I think it is - but it's been a while since I used it!

#7 WeaOz

WeaOz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:42 AM

Been away and only got back to this today.

So, i have got a copy of photorec and installed on PC. Then what are the next steps?
take the HDD from xbox and install on my PC?
Do i boot PC the normal way and run photorec on the Xbox HDD? (this HDD is not locked) or do I have to boot up using something like HDDloader disk on PC (this was the way I formatted the HDD in the first place, and as you can see the HDDloader did not properly cater for >256GB patitions).

Or connect the Xbox to the router? I have been having problems getting the xbox connected to the router previously. I wanted to FTP this way rather than the the dedicated PC - Xbox connection using cross-over cable. Seems something needed to be changed in my netgear router to open ports, but haven't got a clue what yet. I don't want to research the xbox-router issue as yet. So my preference is the former if that's possible.

Thanks again.

#8 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:53 AM

Take the unlocked disk, connect it to your PC, and run Photorec. Can't remember how to use it in detail, but I remember it being fairly straightforward.

#9 WeaOz

WeaOz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:18 PM

Thanks, Heimdall.

Hope to try this weekend and report back

#10 WeaOz

WeaOz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:39 AM

Hi Heimdall,

Got Photorec 6.11 to work. it returns lots of files; JPG, TIF, txt, asf, mp .... in a number of directories of varying size. So it looks like working pretty well.

Problem is, I can't figure out how to go from here to reconstruct the original game directories from the corrupted hdd, which I can then ftp back to the corrupted drive. Any ideas?

Note: some files returned as txt, word or excel and I can't open them.

If I can't reconstruct the game directories, thenit looks like a reformat is the only option. Is this correct?

Thanks for your help again, mate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users