• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Neomop

Neomop

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:51 AM

Need some help here. I have another case in which I can dissect, but I wanna see what I can do to this one first, or give me tips on doing my next one.

http://img.photobuck...op/DSC01033.jpg

http://img.photobuck...op/DSC01034.jpg

http://img.photobuck...op/DSC01035.jpg

http://img.photobuck...op/DSC01036.jpg

Oh yes, I use painter's mate green tape, krylon fusion blue and duplicolor clear coat

And I want to get rid of that XBOX360 in the middle too.

Edited by Neomop, 09 March 2009 - 02:02 AM.

#2 Dropshott

Dropshott

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:27 AM

Did it bleed once you applied the clear coat, or was it already bleeding under the tape? And as for the X360 in the middle, you are probably going to have to sand it down till it's gone, which ultimately means, so will your paint job. Unless you can find a filler to fill them, but I doubt it would hide it still.

#3 Neomop

Neomop

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:02 AM

I only took off the tape after applying the clearcoat so I don't know.

#4 Neomop

Neomop

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:15 AM

bump

#5 Sic Of Life

Sic Of Life

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Interests:SlipKnot
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:01 AM

To remove the Xbox 360 in the case you need to fill it with bondo. Maybe you didn't apply your painters tape good enough? I'm not sure what tape I use to paint but it's damn good! It looks like regular masking tape.

#6 Neomop

Neomop

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:03 AM

Do I cut out the tape my shape on my xbox or what do i cut it out on?

#7 Sic Of Life

Sic Of Life

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:49 AM

Never cut on your 360 cause that will just scratch it, no matter how careful you are. Cut how much tape you will need and then place it on your 360 in the design that you want it to be.

#8 nos33

nos33

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Interests:My interests are modding my 360. Computers and other electronics, Painting and Airbrushing as well.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:02 PM

The only time i get this problem is when i spray the paint on too thick. If you spray more often and in lighter coats this should not happen. When you spray it on too thick it causes a capillary action to take place that sucks the paint into any little crack it can find.

#9 Neomop

Neomop

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:24 PM

How much is too thick? I've been doing a 2 pass mostly (there's about 3 coats of paint on there)

#10 Sic Of Life

Sic Of Life

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:31 PM

Too thick is when it takes more than 10 minutes to dry enough to touch it. Also something I forgot to mention is my last post is try to not mix paint brands.

#11 Neomop

Neomop

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:38 PM

clearcoat is fine tho right? i mean the paint turned out okay with the duplicolor clear over the krylon paint.

#12 mariods

mariods

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:54 AM

O.k. man, Here is what you have to do whenever you use tape.
It is sort of a trick that I use, even when I paint rooms in a house.

First make sure the surface of the area that is being painted is clean from oil, dust, dirt, etc. etc., because it prevents the tape from adhereing properly.
Next, apply the tape, without stretching the tape, and use your finger to press the tape securely all along the surface.
Then, from 10 inches away, spray a quick and VERY light coat across the edges of the tape, and let it dry for at least 10 mins, and then continue spraying the rest of the case in thin coats, and allow a couple hours drying time, in between coats.
What you want to do is seal the edges of the tape by using the paint itself, to do so. Thus, preventing the bleeding from happening. Bleeding, is when the paint is applied on too thick and absorbing into the tape and then loosens the seal between the tape and the surface.
But, I will caution you that sometimes (not always) when you use this method the seal is so good, that when you pull off the tape after, it wants to take some of the paint, with it.
So, another solution I use to prevent that is, when applying the paint, using several THIN coats, over and over, about 20 mins in between coats for drying, then when you have a good finish, you remove the tape, and then let it dry over night.
I know it sounds confusing but, good painting comes with experience and the know how, and by using good products, and not mixing laquer with acrylic etc. etc.
The more you do it the better you get at it, and you use what works for you.

cheers.

#13 bigred1227

bigred1227

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:29 PM

had that problem one time and here is what i did. Granted it took me awhile, but the pay off was well worth it. When you spray dont try and acheive the full color. What i mean by this is to just spray one pass. there will be white underneath. IT WILL LOOK PATCHY. then do it again and again (waiting untill the last coat dries ofcourse). Eventually it will fill with color and wa-la you have your color. Works much better than doing it all at once

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users