w2kj

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:29 AM

Alright…as a lot of y'all know (and for those who don't) I had a major stroke in 2003. I lost the ability to speak and my right side was paralyzed. My sons and their friend (EverestX) modded an xbox for me to use to help me rehabilitate myself. I hooked into X-S in 2005 and got into the graphics forum…and it also was instrumental in furthering more rehabilitation. Anyway…my aphasia is a real problem…so if I don't make any sense; it's just my "word salad" that scrambles my speech and text. So bear with me.

I bought my Chevelle in 1988 when I lived in the high desert in Apple Valley, CA after my car was stolen. In 1990 we drove it to get back to Texas. I, my wife, and my 2 sons, and two chow-chows packed into the car. Drove it for a couple o' years…and it O.D.'ed. Fast forward to 1998 (? The exact year escapes me.) The a/c unit in the house takes a crap in July…didn't have the funds to get it fixed. So I'm talkin' to EvX's dad (Pat) and he wants to buy the car for right about what I needed to pay to fix it. So I sold it to 'em. Then a few years later I bought a 76 Malibu …beautiful car! Fast forward again…between Pat and EvX and myself think that I would like to have my 67 back, and Pat and I make a deal because he wanted to have a big car for Ev to drive…well anyway, I traded for my 76 Malibu to them for getting my 67 Chevelle + $1000 bucks in return. It was a good trade…all of the body bushings, and the suspension were done (they were doing a resto.) They used some top notch parts to do it. On top of that; the interior was gutted. ( As a sidelight…after the trade; about a year after EvX is driving it he has a pretty gnarly wreck…he's in the ICU and wakes up after a day or so…first thing out of his mouth was "John's (me) is gonna kill me." He didn't care that he was in the hospital, and that his car was wrecked; he was worried I'd be pissed! : )

Well; two years ago I built a Chevy 350; with the help of my best friend, and recently I finally felt like I could tackle getting this car on the road again. This is the year! I've been working on it quite a bit lately, and hope to be driving it April (of course…the interior and paint and body will have to take a while longer, ya know how the economy is.) i know it looks pretty ratty...but it is a solid car!

I'm gonna start this wip with a couple o' recent pix…

this is what I would like it to look like...

IPB Image

this is what it looked like a few weeks ago...

IPB Image

I love these wheels... smile.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

got my motor and powerglide installed....

IPB Image

IPB Image

work might be slow...but i'll update as frequently as i can.

#2 StrictPuppet

StrictPuppet

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:57 AM

Awsome, dude. 65-67 Chevelle's are straight up one of the sexiest cars ever built.

Good luck with your project, and your recovery smile.gif

#3 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,465 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:41 PM

Awesome car man! there's a lot of potential right there smile.gif

I must say I'm envious how clean those southern chassis stay... here in the north east we salt the roads in the winter to keep the roads from icing up and it causes cars to rot out something nasty in just a few short years. I mean my car is a 95 and clean and that's astounding to most people around here. if you see a car from the 60s or 70s that's as clean as yours... it means it was imported laugh.gif

#4 w2kj

w2kj

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:05 PM

Got a li'l bit done the other day...put the headers in, got my water pump and pump pulley, and fuel pump...still waiting for my manual steering box to arrive...the weather has been hit and miss...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by w2kj, 29 March 2009 - 10:09 PM.

#5 StrictPuppet

StrictPuppet

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:57 AM

QUOTE(w2kj @ Mar 29 2009, 02:41 PM) View Post

...still waiting for my manual steering box to arrive...

Manual steering??.... C'mon, how you gonna pull a Rockford with manual steering....

#6 w2kj

w2kj

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:06 AM

QUOTE(StrictPuppet @ Apr 1 2009, 08:33 PM) View Post
Manual steering??.... C'mon, how you gonna pull a Rockford with manual steering....
blink.gif strong arms and quick reflexes?

nah...i'm just building a simple machine....with manual steering it's one less accessory for the crankshaft to power; no fluid to mess with and less hoses...also it lets me mount my alternator down low on the block.

#7 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,995 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:23 PM

that car so reminds me of Oliver!!

top gear fans in the UK should know what I'm reffering too!

Good work!

IPB Image

Edited by bucko, 02 April 2009 - 02:25 PM.

#8 w2kj

w2kj

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:19 PM

i've seen top gear a couple o' times...pretty cool show.

i did a web search for oliver...i didn't find much info about it; short of it's condition when hammond bought it...but i don't get it? blink.gif

#9 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,995 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:50 PM

they went over the Botswana desert/salt lake and the used banged up cars (no doors etc) but Hammond loved his so much he took it back to England laugh.gif it should be on youtube some where I think it's a special episode.

#10 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:43 PM

it was an opel (vauxhall) kadett. smashing little motor.

botswana episode of top gear highly recommended to anyone who hasnt seen it, as is the winter special, infact just watch them all, that's an order.

Just read all your blurb in the first post, how is EverestX? we used to chat on aim but I don't have it anymore

Edited by grim_d, 03 April 2009 - 12:54 PM.

#11 Albino

Albino

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:48 PM

Nice build up. The car actually looks pretty tidy, you poked any of the door jams or sills with a screwdriver yet. I'd love a big chevy monster, I just can't afford anything like that, plus they're not exactly practical on some of the narrower UK roads.

I'm starting my own build up on a 1966 Triumph Vitesse convertible this summer though, fortunately the body is good and I've got a brand new rolling chassis.

That car that Hamond drove on Top Gear was a Opel Kadett model A, 1966 ish. Although it was a GM owned company, Vauxhall and Holden didn't produce a Kadett. The three companies stayed pretty much separate from each other, in terms of making the same cars, until the 1970's but all controlled by GM. They did share plans with each other though and the closest to the Kadett in the Uk was a Vauxhall Viva HA.

#12 w2kj

w2kj

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:22 AM

QUOTE(grim_d @ Apr 3 2009, 06:19 AM) View Post
it was an opel (vauxhall) kadett. smashing little motor.

botswana episode of top gear highly recommended to anyone who hasnt seen it, as is the winter special, infact just watch them all, that's an order.

Just read all your blurb in the first post, how is EverestX? we used to chat on aim but I don't have it anymore
i just got on aim to see what he's doing. edit: he's working...about to get off at midnight. get aim again.

those li'l kadetts were awesome! i had a bud 30 some years ago had one. good times...good times.

Edited by w2kj, 05 April 2009 - 06:36 AM.

#13 w2kj

w2kj

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:46 AM

^ damn edit time was a little short or i real damn slow. laugh.gif

i'll be adding some content in the next couple o' days...had to change headers...damn things needed "some modification required"...my ass...i'll explain it in my next post.

#14 w2kj

w2kj

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:58 PM

I haven't made to much progress…but you know how that goes.

Ok here we go….i had to change the headers; lemme tell you something …NEVER buy any parts with the words "may require modification" in the ad. You WILL be in for trouble. Trust me. Anyway; the shorty headers were going to require some major mods…so I had to get a set that said "custom fit" in the ad. Needless to say…I got that prob cured.

I managed to route my fuel lines…redneck tech, ya gotta love it…nice looking fittings, eh? I had to "create" my own adapter to go from 5/16" to 3/8" from the cars fuel line (5/16") to fuel pump (3/8" fittings); because it's easier and cheaper than changing the hard line, the tank mounted sending unit/float. (I've already spent plenty o' money ya know.) It took some more redneck tech to manage to get the proper base for the air cleaner; it raised the filter housing high enough so the carb fitting fit under it. I also managed to mount the alternator…it took several mock ups to get it right.

So that's where I'm at….next put the radiator/elec fan and hoses and install the starter….

….it's getting real close to firing it up.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
check out the pitman arm / ...i painted it gold...because when changing from power steering to manual...you have to change other parts to do it. ie; the drag link was gonna need to be changed too...so i found a guy who has a machine shop in his garage who was able to modify (he used a taper boring tool to do it) the manual steering pitman arm so it would work with the power steering drag link. anyway i kept tellin' the dude "man, that is gold!" saved me even mo' money...so i painted it gold. smile.gif
man it's a brain teaser for me to accomplish alot of this stuff....i'll say it again redneck tech works. jester.gif
that's it for now. cool.gif

Edited by w2kj, 07 May 2009 - 06:11 PM.

#15 w2kj

w2kj

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:17 PM

just a li'l more today.....