X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:24 AM

Hey BB....

I only included the next-to-last version in the CutFile Creator pack I released because for all of the systems I covered, that's the one I had been using. I didn't release any cutfiles or creators for MAME in my upload. Unfortunately, MAME (CoinOPS/FBL) cutfiles were just going to be too much work for me in the end. I'm completely burned out on the XBox work now man. cool.gif

So... here's hoping you guys can figure out an easy way to make the creators so that if things are updated in the future that they can be re-spawned whenever games are added.

Thanks a ton for all of your help these last few years BB. Your hours spent coding stuff I'm too impatient to ever learn saved me literally hundreds or even thousands of hours of tedious manual labor. If only we had been working together 4 years ago, I probably would be wrapping up my work sometime last year.

Truly, thanks again for everything you've done,
~Rx

#152 Cospefogo

Cospefogo

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ May 28 2010, 12:24 AM) View Post

Sooner or later I'll find a simple referrence document that can be used to automatically deal with MAME naming. Or have one shown to me. Wink wink. wink.gif

BombBloke,

I think this can work for you...
http://mindcaster.tr...me/gamelist.txt

Maybe it is easy to turn it to something like (filtering the unnecessary info)
#Real Game Name1@romname1;
#Real Game Name2@romname2;
#Real Game Name3@romname3;
and use it on the Shortcut Creator.

What do you think?
What else do you need?
I am like a open door to help on this.

Another suggestion regarding MAME:

In my case I have a large collection of flyers. This is easy to get around, there are many compilation of flyers available on the internet. Since MAME rom names and flyers are 100% compatible to each other due to the internal mame naming system, Shortcut creator is a guaranteed success --- but now comes the tricky part.

To have the directory with the shortcuts to be image-cached on XBMC we need TBN files, correct? At the moment those TBN need to be manually created somewhere else, or then the user should just point to the original PNG files (since they are all gathered together on a same directory [like F:/icons]) and keep the things UN-CACHED. So my idea is:

- The user runs GenerateDirectoryListing.py on the ROM list
- The user obtains the listing.txt
- The user copy the listing.txt to inside the flyers-or-screenshots directory
- The the user runs a new .py file - something like: GenerateTBNfromListing.py - and this script creates a new folder and make a copy with only the necessary image files (pointed by the listing.txt) with extension renamed to thumb.

Bingo! Now we have shortcuts with TBN for MAME flyers (or even shots) without the need of manually picking a flyer for each game and renaming to TBN. And also, this avoids the user to have the full 3000 flyers directory duplicated inside the Xbox with 3000 images renamed to thumb.

If you are out of time (or have no interest on this) I will bulk-rename all my 3000 flyers to TBN, create the shortcuts again, run the XBMC, and - after all files have been cached - I will rename the TBNs back to PNGs.
=D Easy move too.

Maybe it will be easier to to that than to bother you, ha ha...
=D

And one final point - I am no big fan of having cuts using the screenshot of a game, but yesterday I was curious to try with some Xport Emulators... however, I can't proceed due to Xports screenshots directory format.

How complex it to modify the script (or add a Xport parameter on the Config) to, at the moment of pointing to the shots dir, having a extra addendum with the game name (that cames from listing.txt) as a subdirectory in the screenshots path? I do basic PHP... and with some extra time maybe I could modify the java by myself (maybe maybe maybe maybe), but for sure this is much more simpler for you.

Thanks again, man.
And don't need to worry much about this.
Its only ideas.

Cospefogo.

Edited by Cospefogo, 28 May 2010 - 11:59 AM.

#153 Cospefogo

Cospefogo

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:23 PM

Hey guys!

I think I am mistaken about the XBMC caching thing.
It looks like XBMC caches everything, not only the TBN files.

I was having the wrong impression about the caching system because
everytime I open one of my CUTS folder (with around 850 cuts inside)
XBMC presents a dialog saying "reading media info", or something like
that.

But it is already reading FROM cache... I got a dialog just because
the directory has sooo many files.

=D

Cospefogo.

#154 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:40 AM

The CUTs themselves don't get cached, at least, I'm pretty sure they don't. For example, if you change the label tag in a CUT, XBMC should notice this even if you don't change the CUT filename. I think.

(Compare this to XBEs, where the labels are cached - if you use a title editor outside of XBMC to rename them, XBMC won't notice unless you wipe your programs database or rename the program folder).

QUOTE(Cospefogo @ May 28 2010, 06:56 PM) View Post
I think this can work for you...
http://mindcaster.tr...me/gamelist.txt

I'd have no trouble parsing that, but there are a couple of problems. First, I'm not sure it's complete - is this because MAME lacks support for all the missing sets? For example, I notice a whole bunch of child and encypted sets missing, same as in the last document I dealt with... Ideally, I'd be able to account for every game for every emulator that "has" to use certain ROM naming conventions. If no single list deals with them all, I'll compile a bunch of smaller lists together to make a complete version for use with all such emulators.

The other issue is that it's only dedicating 32 characters per game title. If a game needs more then that, it simply crops the text...

If you are out of time (or have no interest on this) I will bulk-rename all my 3000 flyers to TBN, create the shortcuts again, run the XBMC, and - after all files have been cached - I will rename the TBNs back to PNGs.
=D Easy move too.

Maybe it will be easier to to that than to bother you, ha ha...
=D

This would indeed likely be the easiest way - a variation would be to create a copy of your image set, rename the whole lot to TBNs (ren *.* *.tbn), then dump the fliers in with the CUTs. You can then simply delete the image copies once caching is complete.

And one final point - I am no big fan of having cuts using the screenshot of a game, but yesterday I was curious to try with some Xport Emulators... however, I can't proceed due to Xports screenshots directory format.

How complex it to modify the script (or add a Xport parameter on the Config) to, at the moment of pointing to the shots dir, having a extra addendum with the game name (that cames from listing.txt) as a subdirectory in the screenshots path? I do basic PHP... and with some extra time maybe I could modify the java by myself (maybe maybe maybe maybe), but for sure this is much more simpler for you.

Hmm! To memory, the Xtras screenshot packs were initially stored in the same way XPort screenshots are handled - You'd have a folder for the system, then a sub-folder for each game, with numbered images inside.

I'd implemented a way to use the CUT Creator with the Xtras, but eventually they were changed to a completely different system (which didn't need any special treatment at all). I never removed the compatibility code though, as I'm not one to throw stuff out.

Anyway, tell the CUT Creator you're embedding thumbs, and point it at the the XPort folder for the system you're dealing with (eg, E:\Screens\GBA, or something like that, can't remember off the top of my head). Tell it you're using an Xtras pack, and the Xtras image to use is whatever the the emulator calls the first screenshot (I'm pretty sure the default option will be correct for this).

That should do the trick.

Edited by Bomb Bloke, 29 May 2010 - 02:49 AM.

#155 Cospefogo

Cospefogo

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:51 AM

Mister Bomb Bloke,

I understand your point regarding the Mame thing, no problem.
It is really true, the list is faraway to be complete.

Anyway, thank you very much for your attention on my questions.
And thanks for the tips... I am working down here now to manually
adjust my cuts names.

Regards,
Cospefogo.

#156 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:50 AM

So I realised the (easy to find) official MAME source would probably be a suitable alternative to the X-Box port. Yes, yes, I know - sometimes my genious astounds even myself.

So now the app includes its own game list file, which covers about 8500 sets. I imagine it can guess the rest (eg, the decrypted sets, which, as Kenshiro mentioned, aren't recognised by MAME for who knows what reason). I'm kinda getting the impression at this point that anything FBL/FBA/whatever supports, MAME supports, so I doubt there's any need to go hunting for more titles. Though I still don't consider myself an expert on the subject.

Including regional + child set info in with the game titles is optional.

#157 Cospefogo

Cospefogo

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ May 30 2010, 05:50 AM) View Post

So I realised the (easy to find) official MAME source would probably be a suitable alternative to the X-Box port. Yes, yes, I know - sometimes my genious astounds even myself.

So now the app includes its own game list file, which covers about 8500 sets. I imagine it can guess the rest (eg, the decrypted sets, which, as Kenshiro mentioned, aren't recognised by MAME for who knows what reason). I'm kinda getting the impression at this point that anything FBL/FBA/whatever supports, MAME supports, so I doubt there's any need to go hunting for more titles. Though I still don't consider myself an expert on the subject.

Including regional + child set info in with the game titles is optional.

Yes BB, I agree with you.

Regarding the old conversation about decrypted sets, bootleg sets, clones, versions and so on - Me, Myself and I - really do not care about them. I remember Kenshiro spoke about this in the past saying that he loves to have all available versions of a game, every single rom, update, parent, clone, etc etc.

My vision is different - having ten different Street Fighter Alpha 1 in my romset it annoying. I like to have just "A GAME/ONE GAME" to just "PLAY IT". Ha ha ha... Please don't get my wrong, I am not trying to be rude (English is not my main language.)

So, when I suggested a MAME document was just to - at least - help a little for the people who are creating Mame shortcuts. In my opinion, even as a incomplete documento list, it already saves A LOT of time on the manual renaming labor.

I understand your professional vision of the situation - avoiding at maximum to offer a incomplete feature - but I think that having half/incomplete automatic renaming on MAME is better than have no automatic renaming at all...

Cheers!!
Cospefogo.

#158 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 01:24 PM

Hmm, I think you mistundestand me... I posted another version of the CUT Creator, which now has full automatic naming as far as MAME ROMs are concerned. Plus the ability to "guess" a few child sets that MAME doesn't support.

I dunno whether that covers all other emulators that identify games using archive filenames, but I would expect it does.

Since I couldn't find a complete "MAME document" online, I created my own based on the MAME source code.

#159 Cospefogo

Cospefogo

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ May 30 2010, 09:24 AM) View Post

Hmm, I think you mistundestand me...

Ha ha... Yes I did!
Sorry!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I will check it right now!
Thanks!

C.

#160 Cospefogo

Cospefogo

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 03:04 AM

Hey BB!!

There's nothing else to wish on this world!
Your program worked like a charm.

Every SINGLE MAME SHORTCUT game is now perfect named
on a blink of an eye! Good as gold! Thank you very much!!

I just need to inform a tini-tiny bug however: the program
hangs up and present a error on your parsing routines on
one single MAME game --- Street Fighter 1 (rom name: sf.zip)

I think it is due to the 2 letters only for the rom name.

Anyway, I skipped this game and everything else was great.
RessurectionX should check this...
I bet he will love.

Cospefogo.

#161 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:32 AM

QUOTE(Cospefogo @ May 31 2010, 10:04 AM) View Post
I think it is due to the 2 letters only for the rom name.

Correct. I've uploaded a fixed version. Thanks for the heads-up.

#162 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  • Interests:rebuilding broken xboxes

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:59 PM

Cool just noticed the last few posts. Nice work BB.

Can you load in the gamebase for c64 the same way?

Couple other systems might end up causing problems to I assume. Like amiga, etc or most of the systems that work from a gamebase. Might want to ask madmab if they are working from a certain gamebase on the amiga's upcoming release if so that info would be handy to.

That is if it would not be to much effort for you to do.

#163 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:17 AM

Most of the effort involves working out where to get complete "gamebase" lists from - I wasn't even aware those systems used them.

#164 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  • Interests:rebuilding broken xboxes

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:54 AM

I got a few of the c64 xbox gamebase versions but I think madmab has all of them or most anyway. I remember him having a thread a while back listing the available versions. He listed the ones he had and the ones he was looking for. Don't remember what he had but I remember his set was more complete than mine. I will try to get a hold of him and see if he can get them to me for you or if you talk to him before I do ask him about it.

The amiga I don't know about I have read something to the extent that they developed there own type of file for it so I have no idea if it will work from whatever gamebase dat they are working off of or not. I think the amiga has a few different options as far as gamebases go. They created there own type of file so the game loading and disk swapping was configured automatically. They did this so the games are more easy to play and don't require to know how to operate an amiga to get the games to run. Alot of people don't use this emulator because of this.

Here is the thread I was talking about

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=713034

Edited by run088, 01 June 2010 - 05:50 AM.

#165 waal

waal

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE(run088 @ Jun 1 2010, 04:54 AM) View Post

I got a few of the c64 xbox gamebase versions but I think madmab has all of them or most anyway. I remember him having a thread a while back listing the available versions. He listed the ones he had and the ones he was looking for. Don't remember what he had but I remember his set was more complete than mine. I will try to get a hold of him and see if he can get them to me for you or if you talk to him before I do ask him about it.

The amiga I don't know about I have read something to the extent that they developed there own type of file for it so I have no idea if it will work from whatever gamebase dat they are working off of or not. I think the amiga has a few different options as far as gamebases go. They created there own type of file so the game loading and disk swapping was configured automatically. They did this so the games are more easy to play and don't require to know how to operate an amiga to get the games to run. Alot of people don't use this emulator because of this.

Here is the thread I was talking about

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=713034

Regarding the C64. Isn't there a script included in the Xport release to convert the artwork ? I remember using it to convert my gamebase64 V5.

The amiga. I think you won't be bothered by the names because my set is originally based on gamebase amiga. Except I have merged floppy versions in one zip (i.e you find regular and trainer version for a game like battle squadron). And we now have hard drive installed versions. So in the set, games are available in two versions: game.zip (adf) et game hd.zip (whdload). For both format, every CRC was entered in a configuration database so you just have to mount your files and run. Today, Winuaex has become very easy to run and I think we have more features than gamebase offers.
Regarding the actual gamebase amiga on PC, I think it won't be updated anymore and as I used the latest...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users