• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lyle Hutz

Lyle Hutz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:55 PM

Just want to say thanks to everyone for all the info on this site. I have looked at all the articles on disassembly, cleaning, and replacing my DVD drive.

I am getting the disk unreadable error in the middle of games...It is loading up, and it will play for a bit, but then the game itself will freeze up. So, with all the information on possible ways to fix this problem, I am just looking for some direction on where to start. What is the best order for diagnosing the problem before I break the warranty seal? I am still under the RROD warranty, so I want to make sure I cover all my bases before I break the seal.

Thanks for your help.

#2 Sic Of Life

Sic Of Life

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Interests:SlipKnot
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:04 PM

Sounds like your laser is going bad. If your console is anywhere near getting the RROD (freezes, glitchy graphics) then I suggest you keep playing your 360 as much as you can until you get the RROD and have Microsoft deal with it. If your console is not near getting the RROD then your best bet is to take it apart and replace the laser. I had the same problem you are having and I fixed it by buying a new laser.

#3 elariviere12

elariviere12

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:17 PM

i think that you are on your way to the red rings of death. i had a xbox that i never really played because i was in the military. it was 6 or 7 months old before i actually started to play the thing but it was pretty much brand new. at first my games started to freeze and then my xbox started to freeze up in the dashboard. one month after that i turned my system on and my xbox freaked out and i got the red rings. if i was you just go to the microsoft 360 web site and register your console. after you put the serial number in, the web site will tell you if your system is still under warenty. your better off sending your xbox to them because they will fix it for free and even pay for the shipping. they are pretty quick. i got my system back in 8 or 9 days.

#4 Lyle Hutz

Lyle Hutz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE(Sic Of Life @ Mar 11 2009, 11:40 AM) View Post

Sounds like your laser is going bad. If your console is anywhere near getting the RROD (freezes, glitchy graphics) then I suggest you keep playing your 360 as much as you can until you get the RROD and have Microsoft deal with it. If your console is not near getting the RROD then your best bet is to take it apart and replace the laser. I had the same problem you are having and I fixed it by buying a new laser.

Yea, I have been having some issues like that. This unreadable disk thing happened to me about a year ago and then it went away. I will register my console and make sure it is under the RROD warranty. Would you all suggest just leaving it on/playing it a ton to make it happen?

#5 Lyle Hutz

Lyle Hutz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:14 PM

Okay, I ran through some of the troubleshooting stuff through the Xbox web site. I still need to try out some other games to make sure it is not a disk related issue, but I can really hear my dvd drive skipping inside, like it is losing the connection. I can get about 1 inning played on MLB2K9 and then I will lose the commentary, and it will eventually give me the disk error message.

So, what have you all found to be the best next step? I am still under the 3 year warranty for the RROD, but I am past the standard warranty. It looks like it would cost $99 to send it in for the DVD drive repair to MS.

I don't mind cracking it open, but the one thing that gives me pause is whether or not I should be anticipating the RROD at this point. I would hate to crack it open, clean the DVD drive and have it work, only to have the RROD come my way.

And, instead of paying the $99 for the repair, I would rather find an HDMI capable system on ebay used for around $120-$140.

Any thoughts?

#6 nitz0

nitz0

3 Strike Mod Abuser

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Interests:360RepairKings.Com Repairing and Modding Xbox 360's!!<br /><br />http://360RepairKings.Com
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:20 AM

More than likely its sounds like it could either be the laser or disc drive. You can buy a new laser for 10 bucks or buy a new drive which comes with a new laser for around 30-50..If you got it go ahead and get the whole drive and just swap the boards. Who cares if you get the rrod.. MOD EDIT =/ Just my opinion. Good luck!

Edited by RDC, 13 March 2009 - 02:25 AM.

#7 Lyle Hutz

Lyle Hutz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE(nitz0 @ Mar 11 2009, 11:56 PM) View Post

More than likely its sounds like it could either be the laser or disc drive. You can buy a new laser for 10 bucks or buy a new drive which comes with a new laser for around 30-50..If you got it go ahead and get the whole drive and just swap the boards. Who cares if you get the rrod.. MOD EDIT =/ Just my opinion. Good luck!

Thanks for the great advice. I will definitely go the route of replacing the drive, but the only thing that holds me back is the need to "flash the drive". Is this as complicated as it sounds in the articles I have read, or is it just a matter of familiarity with the process?

Edited by RDC, 13 March 2009 - 02:25 AM.

#8 nitz0

nitz0

3 Strike Mod Abuser

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Interests:360RepairKings.Com Repairing and Modding Xbox 360's!!<br /><br />http://360RepairKings.Com
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:58 PM

naw man. If you can read directions and use a program its easy as 1-2-3..But then again I've been fucking with computers for over 14 years. The software part is the easiest part just follow the directions of whatever tut you're going by.

#9 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,790 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:33 AM

No more Warranty Fraud talk, it's the same thing as Piracy, period, and is grounds to have your account here suspended or closed. If ya don't like the rules then try reading and then following them for a change.

If the thing is freezing in game in different places then the 360 is, sooner or later, going to start throwing artifacts or 3RL on ya, leave it together if it's less than 3 years old and let nature take it's course, them M$ can clean up their mess.

If it has issues with just about every game disc ya try, then cleaning, replacing the Laser and then drive would be the thing to do. How ya do it is your choice though, once ya break the seal it's yours, and while the $99 is kinda tough to shell out, at least that keeps your 3 year warranty intact in case it does 3RL on ya down the road.

Edited by RDC, 13 March 2009 - 02:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users