• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:01 PM

NOTES ON EMU/SKIN TESTING FOR MADMAB EDITION EMUS WITH GILLES DYNAMIC SKINS

NEW BUGS:

(Individual Emu bugs will be listed below with their emulator. Bugs listed here are for the NES emulator, the most up-to-date one we have, so it is generally expected they'd be on every emu, or that the features that are buggy haven't even been implemented on most emus at this time (10-01-09).)

1) If you were already highlighting a game in the romlist and you leave for any reason, when you come back it will show the next one in the order. (Example: If you left the romselect screen and it was on the Boxart, when you go back to the game it will now be on the Title Shot first. If you're on the title shot when you leave, it will be on the action shot now). Can we get it so it always displays a game's boxart first in this situation?

2) In Game Options line when in 10 Yard Fight looks as follows:
"In Game Options (17). SFX(79), mp3CDDA(88), CDDA" (the last A is cut off).

A) What is the (17) for after "In Game Options" and how do you change it if it's important?
cool.gif Is left stick Up&Down and Left&Right supposed to both alter "mp3CDDA"?
C) What is the "CDDA" feature that is cut off, and how do we move that?
D) If all three of these are needed, will it be fixed so we can see all 3 options?

3) Previously it was believed for the A2600 and PCE that Screenshots could not be controlled by the left joystick like usual, instead only by time, and it would only display boxart and cartart.

Notes from a post on this:

Now, when you press right or left on the left joystick it only advances the title/action shot. It does not move the Box/Cart art, which still moves at its own pace. (So if timer is set to "0", you will never see the Cart art the way it's set up now)

I would love to have that ability to set the title/action shot to "0" and then it would always only show just the Title shot... Then I could set the Box/Cart to about 3 seconds and I would be able to control the Box/Cart with the left joystick, while the video played and the Title shot displayed the whole time.

I always thought the action shots were redundant, but there was no way I was going to get rid of them. Now people can have them turned off if they don't like them if we can do something like this.

IMAGE ISSUES/ IMAGES NEEDED:

1) All Skins: Need ~FULL TILT DX & ~Full Screen Video Skin Config Preview.
2) Need to update DOSBOX, BLUEMSXBOX & X68000X splash screen to have the new "Credits" image. (These are the more static "Lite" skins).

SUGGESTED FEATURES:

1) Enhanced Favorites option, which displays full screen video of your favorites as you scroll through them.
2) In-Game "Media Viewer" option which will allow you to load Videos/Artwork/Manuals/GameFaqs with ease.
3) Full Screen Skin Configuration previews.
4) Multiple, Savable Favorites Lists which can be used for Top Lists on the internet as well as personal favs.
5) Background Music Randomizer.
6) Only display the CRC for a rom if there is no synopsis entry for it.
7) Brainstorm some more clean-up in standard menu.
8) Clean up the in-game menu.
9) Sort/Filter feature.
10) Put skin configurations in a folder inside the skin (and set up emu to read them there)

ADDITIONAL "BASE" SKINS I CREATED FOR GILLES TO PLUG IN THE ARTWORK FOR:

- Amstrad CPC
- Apple ][e
- Bandai Wonderswan
- CHIP8
- Commodore 64
- Commodore Pet
- Commodore Vic20
- GBA (Gameboy Color Version)
- Intellivision
- NES (Famicom Version)
- Pokemon Mini
- MEKAX (Game Gear Version)
- MEKAX (SG-1000 Version)
- Spectrum
- TI99
- Watara Supervision

For skins still needed, we need to make the following images:

MAIN FOLDER:
emuloadbkg.jpg
main.jpg
bg_music.mp3 that is unique to the emu.

BACKGROUNDS FOLDER:
Synopsis.jpg

PREVIEWS FOLDER:
4-in-1 Preview images
All Previews (Or none... we have the generic, this is just if you wanted to get un-generic on any of them)

SPRITES:
10_[BOXART] Missing Boxart 16-9
11_[BOXART] Missing Boxart 4-3
30_[LOGO] Console 01
31_[LOGO] Console 02
62_[TEXT] Emu name
70_[BANNER] Console 01
71_[BANNER] Console 02
And also any "XX_[BANNER] Game XX" that you'd like to add to make them unique.

I made a black synopsis.jpg, emuloadbkg.jpg, main.jpg & Preview.jpg for all of these skins. I also made sprites 10, 11, 30, 31, 62, 70 & 71 above black until they are made.
I put the generic previews in for all of the yet unmade skins.

NINTENDO

NES [MednafenX-NES] *VERIFIED 10-19-09*

Images: 4-in-1 Preview, Game Select Help, Text Help, Synopsis I & II, Updated Splash.
Testing 1: Videos Play, Games Play, Artwork is Displayed Correctly, Dragon Animation Works.
Testing 2: Synopsis Works, Game Select & Text Help Works, Skin & Config Previews Work.
Testing 3: Text File Viewer.
Unique: New XT Mapper Fixes! Best of the Best, Paperboy II, Esper Bouken Tai, Ghost Hunter.
Configuring: Skin and Sprite and Config Names Look Good, Good Console Specific Images.

Famicom themed skin needed.

Images: 4-in-1 Preview, Game Select Help, Text Help, Synopsis I, Updated Splash. (Synopsis II US Only)
Testing 1: Videos Play, Games Play, Artwork is Displayed Correctly, Dragon Animation Works.
Testing 2: Synopsis Works, Game Select & Text Help Works, Skin & Config Previews Work.
Configuring: Skin and Sprite and Config Names Look Good, Good Console Specific Images.

Images: 4-in-1 Preview, Game Select Help, Text Help, Synopsis I, Updated Splash. (Synopsis II GBA Only)
Unique: Alphabetical skip works for games with "GBA - " and "GBC - " prefixes!

Need console specific Gameboy banners and Gameboy 4in1 Preview.
Gameboy Color skin.

Images: 4-in-1 Preview, Game Select Help, Text Help, Synopsis I, Updated Splash.

Images: 4-in-1 Preview, Game Select Help, Text Help, Synopsis I, Updated Splash. (Synopsis II GBA Only)

GENESIS/SEGA CD/32X [NEOGENESIS] - *VERIFIED 10-19-09* (Both US and PAL skins)

Images: 4-in-1 Preview, Game Select Help, Text Help, Synopsis I, Updated Splash. (Synopsis II US Only)
Unique 1: Alphabetical skip works for games with "32x - " and "CD - " prefixes!
Unique 2: CD Synopsis works!

Need a way to make synopsis entries work for SEGA CD games.

Unique: Alphabetical skip works for games with "GG - " and "SG-1000" prefixes!

Game Gear and SG-1000 themed skins.

Testing 1: Videos Play (Unknown), Games Play, Artwork is Displayed Correctly, Dragon Animation Works.

Need 4-in-1 Preview.

A2600 [Z26X] *VERIFIED 10-01-09*

Images: 4-in-1 Preview, Game Select Help, Text Help, Synopsis I & II, Updated Splash.

Need 4-in-1 Preview.

Testing 1: Videos Play (Unknown), Games Play, Artwork is Displayed Correctly, Dragon Animation Works.

TURBOGRAFX [MEDNAFENX PCE] - *VERIFIED 10-19-09* (Both TG16 & PCE)

Unique 1: Alphabetical skip works for games with "CD - " prefix!
Unique 2: CD Synopsis works!

Need a way to make synopsis entries work for TGCD games.

PSX [PCSXBOX] *10-01-09*

Images: 4-in-1 Preview, Game Select Help, Text Help, Synopsis I, Updated Splash.
Testing 1: Videos Play (Untested), Games Play, Artwork is Displayed Correctly, Dragon Animation Works.

Need a way to make synopsis entries work for Playstation CD games.

DOSBOX - [CAN'T VERIFY UNTIL EMU IS UPDATED] *04-13-09*
Images Included: 4-in-1 Preview, Game Select Help, Text Help, Synopsis II.
Static Splash Screen.
Sprite and Config Names Look Good, Good Console Specific Images.

Need updated splash screen with new credits image.

COLECOVISION - *VERIFIED 10-01-09* (Both Coleco & Adam skins)

Need console specific sprites for Adam version of skin & 4-in-1 Adam pic.

MSX - *VERIFIED 10-01-09*

Testing 1: Videos Play (Untested), Games Play, Artwork is Displayed Correctly, Dragon Animation Works.

Need 4-in-1 Preview.

INTELLIVISION - [CAN'T VERIFY UNTIL EMU UPDATE] *10-01-09*

COMMODORE 64 - [CAN'T VERIFY UNTIL EMU UPDATE] *10-01-09*

Emu doesn't play mp3s by design due to memory constraints.

NEO GEO POCKET [NEOPOPX] *10-07-09*

SHARP x68000 - [CAN'T VERIFY UNTIL EMU UPDATE] *04-13-09*
Images Included: 4-in-1 Preview, Game Select Help, Text Help, Synopsis II.
Sprite and Config Names Look Good, Good Console Specific Images.

AMSTRAD CPC - [CAN'T VERIFY UNTIL EMU UPDATE] *10-01-09*

APPLE IIe - [CAN'T VERIFY UNTIL EMU UPDATE] *10-01-09*

BANDAI WONDERSWAN - [CAN'T VERIFY UNTIL EMU UPDATE] *10-01-09*

CHIP8 - [CAN'T VERIFY UNTIL EMU UPDATE] *10-01-09*

MAGNAVOX ODYSSEY II [ODYSSEYX] *10-07-09*

Need 4-in-1 Preview

SINCLARE SPECTRUM - [CAN'T VERIFY UNTIL EMU UPDATE] *10-01-09*

TI-99 - [CAN'T VERIFY UNTIL EMU UPDATE] *10-01-09*

WATARA SUPERVISION - [CAN'T VERIFY UNTIL EMU UPDATE] *10-01-09*

FIXED BUGS (10-01-09):

A2600/LYNX/NES/PCE:

1) When you push right to scroll through screenshots on a new game, it skips from 0001 to 0003 using the normal Screenshots. -Fixed

2) Using Enhanced Artwork, the emu only shows the action shot if there was a title shot first. Otherwise the box remains blank. If there was a title though, the title and action will take turns displaying while the Box and cart alternate. -Fixed

3) I still can't scroll through artwork when the timer is set on anything other than 0 when using the Enhanced Artwork. (Still have this problem)

4) When you load up a skin configuration and go back to the main list, often the list of games disappears when you go back to select a game until you press right or left to jump to the next letter (that always solves the problem).[/s]

I've done testing on all 4 emus and I believe that these findings go for all four of them. As of 10-01-09, these are all fixed on the NES emulator. In theory, when the other emus are updated these problems should be gone as well. Need to test on updates.

SNES

1. When I start the emu, the mp3 is muted and I can't bring the sound back up. When I load a new skin configuration the music starts again though.

2. Freezes up on game load quite a bit (quite a bit for me isn't much since I test hundreds of roms or more... might not happen for the casual user). Seems to freeze up every 8 to 30 games or so. The quickest was 3 games. I'm also scrolling through all 4 pieces of art and checking the synopsis while doing this too. (I don't notice this happening anymore 10-01-09)

GENESIS

Ultimate Mortal Kombat Trilogy Hack works with last XPORT emulator, but doesn't work with Madmab Edition emulator. (This is the only game out of thousands I've tested for all consoles that doesn't work with the new Madmab Edition emus but used to work with the last XPORT ones). Game still doesn't work after removing about 5 banners. Will try to remove more later.

PSX
XBOX STILL FREEZES WHEN YOU EXIT GAMES... (Not noticing this anymore 10-07-09. Will keep an eye out for it.)

Edited by ressurectionx, 22 October 2009 - 08:59 AM.

#2 gilles9999

gilles9999

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:45 PM

Ok ressX put these jpg in the neogenesis and mednafen pce dynamic skins, rename them "main.jpg"
The "US" versions of the systems will appear as default ones, keep the pal versions of the main screens in the skin root and rename them "main euro.jpg" (right click on these pics)

I finally found a good quality pic of the genesis with the legendary sonic 1 inside! Exactly what i wanted! smile.gif

IPB Image

For the turbografx 16, IMPOSSIBLE to find good quality pics! i had to retouch it with photoshop

IPB Image

IPB Image

The result is quite good though

Edited by gilles9999, 30 March 2009 - 11:52 PM.

#3 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:06 AM

They look beautiful my man.

I'm actually going to save two separate skins instead of having the backup if you don't mind. I think it would be easier for the end user to just delete the one they won't use instead of trying to instruct them how to rename and delete jpgs within the skin. (Pretty awesome how we can do that with ease now since the skins are basically identical now in terms of structure, huh?)

You got those synopsis PNG files too? I just checked mine and they're all PNG files for some reason. Any helpscreens or other images that will be in the skins would be appreciated too.

THANKS,
~Rx

EDIT: Hey again Gilles.... I was wondering if you could create console banners for the US versions of TG-16 and Sega Genesis too. All we have for either of them now is the European counterparts. I'm not sure at this point, but we may need alternates for other systems as well. I did check NES and it is good because it has both the Japan and US controller images. I'll have to start making notes on that too (I will add a console banner check for each skin now as well).

Thanks again,
~Rx

EDIT 2: The TG-16 skin still also shows "PC Engine" logo flashing at the top. Any chance you could get me a TG-16 logo instead?

Oh... also, the dragon splash screen has the PC Engine background instead of a TG16 background as well. Same with the Genesis.... it's got the Megadrive background for the dragon splash screen.

Edited by ressurectionx, 31 March 2009 - 01:42 PM.

#4 Cospefogo

Cospefogo

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE(gilles9999 @ Mar 30 2009, 08:21 PM) View Post

For the turbografx 16, IMPOSSIBLE to find good quality pics! i had to retouch it with photoshop

I have many many good quality pictures of the systems from my old collection,
but most of them are japanese consoles. You can get them here:

http://famicomfamily...ery/v/consoles/

And this is a nice one for my PC Engine DU RX:

http://famicomfamily...C02301.JPG.html

Cheers,
Cospefogo.

#5 gilles9999

gilles9999

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:45 PM

Thanks for the help Cos',
Unfortunatelly i was specifically searching for a turbografx 16 pic (Us system); the pc engine duo is the jap version of the Nec system right?
Don't worry about the splash screen RessX, i'll release separates versions for nes euro/jap; genesis euro/jap, and nec pce euro/jap. I'll have the time towork with photoshop and send them to you before the release

#6 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:50 PM

Cool... we'll need US console banners (controllers and systems) too. cool.gif

I'll also let you know when I go through everything again if we need any other alternates. So far it's just for those two systems we need the alternate banners.

And I'll let you know if anything else comes up as well.

Overall, everything looks very good so far.

~Rx

#7 Mega Man (?)

Mega Man (?)

X-S Genius

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:00 AM

QUOTE(gilles9999 @ Mar 30 2009, 04:21 PM) View Post

IPB Image

These look excellent gilles! smile.gif Will you be adding them as a (permanent) option within the next skin updates?

#8 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:25 AM

I'm updating the skins right now MM. All those things you see at the top of the thread are stuff I've verified/changed.

Right now I'm just waiting on some pics and I have to normalize all the mp3's. There are some skins I haven't been able to test at all yet because the emu hasn't been updated too.

Right now, I've copied and altered the Genesis and TG-16 skins so there is a US and E version for both of them. Just need the dragon splash screen US image and a few US Console Banner sprites for them and they're good to go.

#9 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:29 PM

Totally updated this thread now with my findings for the new betas. Also made all the "Background" folders in both the Skins and the Emus themselves. Deleted old synopsis file from emu folder and deleted "Help" folder, so the emulators that haven't gotten the newest updates are broke in that regard unitil a new beta comes out.

I've remarked on any bugs that I've noticed while documenting this stuff and just playing around with the emus. Some emus seem to have their own little unique problems at this point. Except for the Virtual Boy, none of the problems seem to keep you from playing games... although the Box freezing every time you leave a PSX game can get grating on the nerves.

I've remarked skins that are missing your Black and White, full-screen, console images for the synopsis Gilles. There were only a few missing. I think we should have these along with the other ones you made since they seem to be the favorite so far.

I've also mentioned where we need new pics. This is just for the alternate skins, I believe, so it's Genesis, TG-16 and possibly Sega Master System.

Let me know your thoughts at this point and what I could do to make this better for you guys. This is the thread that wraps up our work as a whole. We get this stuff all working and it's just plug-n-play my Xtras into it and you're gold.

Later,
~Rx

Edited by ressurectionx, 07 April 2009 - 05:31 PM.

#10 gilles9999

gilles9999

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:25 PM

Tomorrow i don't work! ouf!
i will fix all these annoying different us/palconsoles versions (european and us users like to see their original system, i totally understand) Fortunatelly, i have (now with all the time i've spent browsing the web for good quality consoles pics) good quality pics for almost all the us/euro system.
I will send you all this tomorrow.
For the synopsis backgrounds... I like to let the more possible choices for the users, so i think we will simply put (at least) 2-3 differents synopsis backgrounds in the "backgrounds" folder.

#11 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:57 PM

QUOTE(ressurectionx @ Apr 7 2009, 01:05 PM) View Post

I've remarked on any bugs that I've noticed while documenting this stuff and just playing around with the emus. Some emus seem to have their own little unique problems at this point. Except for the Virtual Boy, none of the problems seem to keep you from playing games... although the Box freezing every time you leave a PSX game can get grating on the nerves.
I suspect I know what is happening with this. I think I had the same problem with BluemsxBox. Took me a while to figure out that one.

#12 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:37 PM

It took me a while, but I finally merged all of our skins. I don't see any problems at all with the configs Gilles. Everything looks perfect to me as far as they are concerned.

Check out above for the images we're still missing for the skins you've made, and also for the remaining XPORT emus that don't have a Dynamic Skin if you desire to take them on.

I also have bugs listed with the betas up there as well as things that still need to be updated. I'll be checking those off as we get them fixed.

I'll get a skin upped to you soon Gilles.

Later,
~Rx

#13 gilles9999

gilles9999

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:51 PM

Thanks for updating exactly what has been done and what need to be done!
1) Did the "no bg music bug" is always happening with the latest ATARI7800X dynamic skin?
2) Also for SoftvmuX i have included one synopsis background in the "backgrounds" folder.
3) The "colecovision logo bug" in the main screen was solved, is it always the case when you have merged our work?
4) The master system, are you sure it's first design (seen in the mekax dynamic skin main screen) is different in the United States of America?

Edited by gilles9999, 13 April 2009 - 09:55 PM.

#14 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:00 PM

I see you're still editing that, so I may have to reply again lol...

You're welcome man. I'm trying to weed out any of the bugs for you guys to see. I figured this was the best way for all of us to see where we're at. It was a ton of work so far, but I think it was worth it now that we have a roadmap.

1) The 7800 has never played music as far as I know. I see the mp3 there, but no music plays. I don't have speakers on the computer I do my work on so I can't listen to it, but Media Player makes it look like it does play music. This may be an emulator problem.

2) I'll have to double check that. I can't believe I missed that.

3) Don't know why it's fixed lol... It wasn't working before, but it looks fine now. (I have done a ton of merging with FolderMerge, so it's possible that something I merged that you had done fixed it... I don't know)

4) The Master System is probably okay. I was just asking. I never had one before. It looks fine to me though.

Edited by ressurectionx, 13 April 2009 - 10:01 PM.

#15 gilles9999

gilles9999

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:33 PM

perheaps you have an early beta, because in the last atari7800X beta madmab sent to me, the bg music plays fine. It's the only explanation i see (or else your tv speakers are broken happy.gif )

Have you find a way to "normalize" the mp3 bg music" level in all the skins?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users