Photo

I Need Help From One Of You Old Time Sceners ;)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rutny

rutny

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:50 AM

Ok, so I am a newb on the Xbox mod scene, and am about to upgrade my HDD. I have read and searched on how to do this. There seemed to be two methods. (and not sure how OLD these methods are) I've spent time in the PSP and WII modding communities, and know that methods of doing things tend to change from time to time. Can any of you please point me to the easiest and/or most recent tutorial on going about getting this done?

I currently have my xbox soft-modded and use both unleashX and XBMC rev 17349 (Jan 25, 2009)

I have a
Western Digital 500GB 7200 rpm EIDE Internal Hard Drive

on its way too me. Thanks in advance for any assistance with getting tme o the most recent or easiest tutorial out there.
Cheers
Rutny

Edited by rutny, 01 April 2009 - 05:59 AM.

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:50 AM

This post has an excellent summary of the available methods.

#3 rutny

rutny

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:12 AM

Are these the most current methods? (That post, while informational, was last edited almost a year ago)

If these are the current methods, the most poplar being, Xboxhdm.... well this is the issue I was running into. The post for this tutorial was last edited over 2 years ago.

Im not sure of the compatibility factors such as...for the Xboxhdm method, it also says you need Slayers Disk 2.6 final ( for dash version 5960.01).......and I have a more current dash (I assume by this statement, the poster means evolutionX? ) I hope I am not being an airhead and you all can see my confusion sad.gif

Thanks again..in advance

#4 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,567 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:30 AM

My personal method is to take the "softmod" part out of the equation, and TSOP flash the console. You can do this with any pre-1.6 system. Once done, the actual drive installation can be performed within about five minutes.

#5 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE(rutny @ Apr 1 2009, 04:48 PM) View Post

Are these the most current methods? (That post, while informational, was last edited almost a year ago)
If these are the current methods, the most poplar being, Xboxhdm.... well this is the issue I was running into. The post for this tutorial was last edited over 2 years ago.

Im not sure of the compatibility factors such as...for the Xboxhdm method, it also says you need Slayers Disk 2.6 final ( for dash version 5960.01).......and I have a more current dash (I assume by this statement, the poster means evolutionX? ) I hope I am not being an airhead and you all can see my confusion sad.gif
Thanks again..in advance

1. Yes, the linked post is current smile.gif
2. version 5960 refers to msdash , not non-ms dash like EvoX or XBMC.
3. How did you install your softmod package (Kingroach's, Krayzie's etc) and which one did you use?

#6 rutny

rutny

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:23 PM

Bomb Bloke -
How can I tell what my system version is, especially now that I have already soft modded the box?

ldotsfan-

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ Apr 1 2009, 03:40 PM) View Post

2. version 5960 refers to msdash , not non-ms dash like EvoX or XBMC.

Doe this mean I have no worries as I am on a modded dash?

3. How did you install your softmod package (Kingroach's, Krayzie's etc) and which one did you use?

Here is the link to the original tut I used
CODE
http://lifehacker.com/software/geek-to-live/transform-your-classic-xbox-into-a-killer-media-center-299809.php

It doesn't really say the type of install, but based on the file endings of the files they tell you to get, it was Soft-mod installer deluxe. (I hope that helps at all)

Thanks!!
Rutny

#7 pattythefatty

pattythefatty

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:22 PM

How can I tell what my system version is, especially now that I have already soft modded the box?

http://xbox-scene.com/versions.php

if you haven't opened your box all ready try the serial number method, if you don't care about opening, then pop it open and use the pictorial guide.

#8 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:06 AM

Doe this mean I have no worries as I am on a modded dash?
No. You're building a new disk, start with a clean 5960 Dash.

And, for someone who is concerned about making sure he uses the most recent methods, you certainly didn't do your homework on the softmod. The tutorial you used is 18 months old, and the softmod it recommends, SID 2.0, is extremely old (2005-02-20) very buggy, and really old technology. The latest SID version is 5.01, but the best current gamesave softmod is Krayzie 1.1.1, the latest and best hotswap / ftp softmod is Kingroach NDURE 3.1.

Build your xboxhdm disc using the stock C from Slayers / AID, and Kingroach NDURE 3.1, and your eeprom.bin. Put the stock C in linux/C, and the Kingroach 3.1 files in linux/ndure (the Kingroach C and E directories and the ndure script should be immediately below this i.e. linux/ndure/C/ and linux/ndure/E/), and eeprom.bin in linux/eeprom/

Run xboxhdm, select option 1 - boot VGA Console, then type xboxhd, then select option 2 - Rebuild C partition on existing Xbox drive. Once that has finished exit, then type xbrowser, run the ndure script, then select option 1. Finally, reboot, select option 4 (Boot to Dos with HD unlock tools), and lock the disk with lockhd -a

#9 rutny

rutny

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:34 AM

Thanks for all the input....although I am quite more confused than I was before. Maybe I'll just slave this bugger to my comp and forget about hooking it into the xbox.. not sure yet. I do know one thing...unless I feel comfortable, I wont do it...and at the moment, my comfort level is quite low....anyways...thanks again for all the input...much appreciated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users