PS3Scene

X-S Freak

• Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:26 PM

PS3 Firmware (v2.70) Update
Posted by XanTium | 2-4-2009 16:26 EST

From blog.us.playstation.com:

Hi everyone, we're adding some great new features with the next PS3 firmware update (v2.70) that will continue to enhance your connected experience on the PS3. The 2.70 update brings a new Text Chat feature that enables you to communicate online with your PlayStation Network friends. Now, you'll be able to chat with up to 15 online friends using the Wireless Keypad, on-screen keyboard, or other compatible keyboard peripherals. Not only can you chat with your friends instantly, but you can also access Text Chat while playing PS3 games and even participate in up to three chat rooms at once.

In addition to Text Chat, we've added a few more enhancements:

Friends list on the XMB (XrossMediaBar)
* Sort your friends via their online status
* Attach larger files to the messages you send to your friends (file size will increase from 1MB to 3MB)

Video delivery service on PlayStation Store
* Video files you've purchased from the PlayStation Store can be backed up to an external storage device and then restored to PS3's internal hard drive for playback - so you can clear up space on your hard drive and then restore the video anytime in the future
* Videos you've purchased for PSP (PlayStation Portable) system can now be transferred to PS3 for playback

#2 Mr. Me

Mr. Me

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:19 AM

sleeping.gif Here's what I would like to see. Music playback via hdd or network during any game, voice chat with friends during any game, divx7 support, and linux gpu access. That would be one sweet update.

Edited by Mr. Me, 03 April 2009 - 02:21 AM.

#3 Magiske

Magiske

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:03 AM

What happened to the ingame voice chat ??

Text chat with 15 ppl, is that something anybody need ??

/M

Edited by Magiske, 03 April 2009 - 08:03 AM.

#4 mercury187

mercury187

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE(Mr. Me @ Apr 2 2009, 06:55 PM) View Post

sleeping.gif Here's what I would like to see. Music playback via hdd or network during any game, voice chat with friends during any game, divx7 support, and linux gpu access. That would be one sweet update.

Well the reason we cant have custom in game music regardless of what game we're playing is because MS has a patent on it. I guess we can only assume they have a patent on in game private chat because sony has avoided it like the plague, who wants ghetto text chat

#5 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE(mercury187 @ Apr 3 2009, 05:53 PM) View Post

Well the reason we cant have custom in game music regardless of what game we're playing is because MS has a patent on it. I guess we can only assume they have a patent on in game private chat because sony has avoided it like the plague, who wants ghetto text chat

Nothing to do with that at all. The game has to support in game music. it is not a feature that is fully controlled via the XMB. It would mean loads of games without and new games would all have to be made compatible

QUOTE(Magiske @ Apr 3 2009, 08:39 AM) View Post

What happened to the ingame voice chat ??

Text chat with 15 ppl, is that something anybody need ??

/M

Sony have never promised it so why does everyone expect it.
People always ignore the good features brought in and mention in game chat. If that is the main bugbear then the 360 should be your live play of choice.

Easy search for news of the game you have in the drive , time remaining on downloads are all good additions. The best being the ability for people to save the PSN video downloads to external devices. The web browser is quicker and loading of friends trophies is as well.

Edited by Chancer, 03 April 2009 - 05:45 PM.

#6 melongstrike

melongstrike

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:29 AM

I for 1 am tired of features I never wanted.

If you give me something that I don't want it's not a gift.

Edited by melongstrike, 04 April 2009 - 01:30 AM.

#7 Magiske

Magiske

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:28 AM

QUOTE(Chancer @ Apr 3 2009, 07:07 PM) View Post

Sony have never promised it so why does everyone expect it.
People always ignore the good features brought in and mention in game chat. If that is the main bugbear then the 360 should be your live play of choice.

Easy search for news of the game you have in the drive , time remaining on downloads are all good additions. The best being the ability for people to save the PSN video downloads to external devices. The web browser is quicker and loading of friends trophies is as well.

You are right, I might be expecting something that was never promised. But having both a PS3 and a 360 I can truly tell you that in-game voice chat in co-op makes a HUGE difference. Internet co-op is worthless without. (IMHO).
I love both my consoles, but have to admit my PS3 are mostly used as a h.264 player.
I don't really care what console is the best, but can only say that for online gaming 360 wins hands down.
In my opinion Sony misses out on some easy wins.

/M

#8 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE(melongstrike @ Apr 4 2009, 02:05 AM) View Post

I for 1 am tired of features I never wanted.

If you give me something that I don't want it's not a gift.

Don't use those features then. Different people use and like different things.

Edited by Chancer, 04 April 2009 - 09:41 AM.

#9 alsybub

alsybub

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • Location:South Coast, UK PlayStation3 Version: v1.0 Nintendo Wii Version: v1.0
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:21 PM

There are some good features for this update. One thing I find confusing is text chat during games. Surely that would be incredibly awkward and therefore instantly redundant.

#10 HotKnife420

HotKnife420

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE(Mr. Me @ Apr 3 2009, 02:55 AM) View Post

Well, music playback DOES exist, but the game has to support it. This has been around since either 2.4, or right before 2.4 (played Warhawk for quite a while with custom tunes). Voice chat during games would be a huge plus, tho.

QUOTE(Magiske @ Apr 4 2009, 10:04 AM) View Post

You are right, I might be expecting something that was never promised. But having both a PS3 and a 360 I can truly tell you that in-game voice chat in co-op makes a HUGE difference. Internet co-op is worthless without. (IMHO).
I love both my consoles, but have to admit my PS3 are mostly used as a h.264 player.
I don't really care what console is the best, but can only say that for online gaming 360 wins hands down.
In my opinion Sony misses out on some easy wins.

/M

All the games I've played had "teamspeak", so co-op should be able to use that, too (why bother moving it to a private chat if you're the only ones there?).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users