• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 barrel123

barrel123

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:50 PM

I haven't touched my xbox for over an year. I use the matrix chip with EvoX (as far as I can remember)
Today I turned it on and everything is ok, but when i start a game, the screen suddenly went black so I decided to restart the xbox.
Afterwards, I get error code 13. I tried to boot it a few times but to no avail and I unplugged the xbox (which I found out afterwards that I should NOT have done).
And now I get error code 16.
I tried the hotswap method (unplug DVD IDE cable, hotswap HDD to PC), but Xplorer360 keeps saying 'FatX drive not found' whenever I try the read the harddisks. Windows Device Manager can see the harddisk ok, but disk management can't.
I have lost the matrix programmer and also my original XBOX HDD.

Is there anything I can do to 'rescue' my xbox now??

Any help will be much appreciated!

#2 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,567 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:40 AM

Odd, I'm pretty sure Drive Management should be able to see the thing whether you hotswapped correctly or otherwise. Though I do get the impression you didn't quite pull it off.

I don't really recommend repeated attempts. The more times you do it with a given drive, the more likely it is you'll toast that drive completely.

When you say you're using EvoX with the chip, do you mean the dashboard or the BIOS? If not the BIOS, then do you know which BIOS you are using? Or is the matrix one of those ones that doesn't really have a BIOS in it?

#3 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,735 posts
  • Interests:#lordvader129
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:58 AM

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ Apr 4 2009, 06:16 PM) View Post

Or is the matrix one of those ones that doesn't really have a BIOS in it?

matrix is flashable, generally an evox bios would be used because of the way you had to disable the chip for Live, you hit eject and it would reset into stock mode, so an x2 bios with the no-reset-on-eject hack wouldnt work

although if you didnt use Live or added a hardware switch it didnt matter what bios you used, lol

#4 barrel123

barrel123

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:38 AM

I used both EvoX BIOS and dashboard.

#5 barrel123

barrel123

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ Apr 5 2009, 02:16 AM) View Post

Odd, I'm pretty sure Drive Management should be able to see the thing whether you hotswapped correctly or otherwise. Though I do get the impression you didn't quite pull it off.

One slight difference is that when hotswapping the xbox HDD with the CD/DVD drive when Windows is running, Windows cannot detect the drive. I have to restart the PC in order for the drive to be detected. The drive does not show up in Disk Management at all either way.

BTW, for hotswap, do I have to disable the modchip bios for it to unlock the drive?

#6 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,567 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:59 PM

If the console didn't unlock the drive then it wouldn't be able to read the thing. It HAS to do it, whether the chip is running or not.

Again, don't bother with the hotswapping aspect of things until you've made sure you're out of other options.

First off, does the console boot game discs? What about burnt discs? Slayers? Auto Installer Deluxe?

What backups do you have? EEPROM data?

Do you have a spare HDD, at least 8gb in size?

#7 barrel123

barrel123

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:00 PM

I backed up all the drive data before. I tried burning AIM, Slayers etc with CD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW and none of them loaded. I have misplaced the original HDD and my games (seeing that I havent touched the xbox for over an year).

#8 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • 17,735 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:47 PM

its possible the hard drive just died on you, it happens sometimes when you dont use it in a long time

#9 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:52 AM

Sounds like the chip is dead/broken, or the D0 connection has come loose ...... and then the disk doesn't sound too healthy either. Try reseating the chip to ground D0, then booting the Xbox, because if you can get the chip working then you should be able to boot with Slayers and rebuild the disk, or build a new one. Also try the switches on the chip, to see it works in any of the modes.

If none of that works, and hotswapping isn't working, you'll have to fit a new chip or build an eeprom reader.

#10 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • 17,735 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:21 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Apr 5 2009, 04:28 PM) View Post

Sounds like the chip is dead/broken, or the D0 connection has come loose

i doubt that, since its a matrix chip its probably using an evox bios, and those dont have the clock fix and thus are susceptible to error 16

i would suggest getting another HD, building it with xhdm so it has the MS dash on it, and try booting that

#11 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:38 AM

Ah. Got it. The disk failed, the error 13 was from the Evox BIOS because it couldn't find a dash on the broken disk, and unplugging the box resulted in an unset clock and error 16 that the Evox BIOS doesn't fix.

#12 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • 6,567 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:50 AM

So EvoX doesn't throw error 07s? huh.gif

#13 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • 17,735 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:14 AM

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ Apr 5 2009, 06:26 PM) View Post

So EvoX doesn't throw error 07s? huh.gif

ive had some strange things happen with dead/dying hard drives, sometimes it seems like the bios cant decide what error to throw when there are multiple

for example an x2 bios will give error 13 instead of 06, lol

#14 barrel123

barrel123

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:14 AM

yeah, i guess its best for me to get a new HDD and start anew again, or find my old original xbox HDD.

#15 barrel123

barrel123

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:46 AM

i just checked my backups and found that i am using X2 4973 as the bios, which does not have the skip clock check feature.
one thing i realised is that when i did the hotswap, i didn't plug in the AV cable, is it possible that it will not 'unlock' the HDD that way?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users