Changing My Dvd Drive On Softmodded Xbox, Possible?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 doonbugie

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:10 AM

Hello I was wondering if I can replace the defualt Samsung DVD drive with a newer, more powerfull DVD drive. The main reason is so I dont have to keep buying DVD+RW and can just use my DVD+R's
I dont want to sound lazy but I cant find any other source showing and/or telling me how. The best I could find is how to replace the hardrive.
I dont care about it running original games.
Or if possible if I can replace the DVD drive with a Hardrive so I can just FTP.

Edited by doonbugie, 06 April 2009 - 07:11 AM.

#2 obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:37 AM

Replacing the Dvd by a harddrive is not possible. The xbox bios will not recognise it.
The xbox bios does a check of the Dvd drive when it boots.
It also needs some signals from the drive like the tray open, tray close and drive ready. Those signals aren't present on a pc drive.
I assume that a modified pc drive should work in a softmodded xbox. It works in a chipped and tsop flashed one. With modified, I mean that the signals are made available from the drive.
You can test the situation. Leave the original drive power cable connected and only connect the ide cable to the pc drive. Power the pc drive with a Molex splitter cable from the harddisk supply cable. The original xbox drive will provide the signals that are missing on the pc drive.

If you are not using xbox Live, you can replace the original 8 or 10gig harddisk with a bigger one. You don't need to add a second disk.

#3 lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,764 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:27 PM

why not just get DVD-R discs? samsungs read those great

failing that im sure someone would be willing to trade a philips for your sammy (the philips read +R ok)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users