X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:GAMING<br />RETRO CRAP
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:30 AM

Follow this link and at the bottom of the page is the source code and tools for the game.

Can one of you guys please do a port of it!!!!????

http://www.the-chosen.com/mods/

QUOTE(Foetopsy @ Apr 14 2009, 10:53 AM) View Post

Follow this link and at the bottom of the page is the source code and tools for the game.

Can one of you guys please do a port of it!!!!????
http://www.the-chosen.com/mods/

that above link is dead, im looking for an alternative place.....

ok here is a place you can get it

http://browse.files....rowsefiles.html

its called b2_src.zip

PLEASAE PORT IT!!

#2 neil222

neil222

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:53 AM

Sure, lets quickly bash it out now... biggrin.gif

Seriously though, If this is real it would be nice to have on XB.

#3 Foetopsy

Foetopsy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE(neil222 @ Apr 14 2009, 12:29 PM) View Post

Sure, lets quickly bash it out now... biggrin.gif

Seriously though, If this is real it would be nice to have on XB.

if only smart ass tongue.gif

if i knew how to port i would do it
but i pray some one wants to do it for all us dumber folks
well the code is there for any one with the know-how

#4 neil222

neil222

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE(Foetopsy @ Apr 14 2009, 02:10 PM) View Post

if only smart ass tongue.gif

if i knew how to port i would do it
but i pray some one wants to do it for all us dumber folks
well the code is there for any one with the know-how

Smart ass...thats not very nice now is it? sad.gif

#5 Foetopsy

Foetopsy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE(neil222 @ Apr 14 2009, 10:10 PM) View Post

Smart ass...thats not very nice now is it? sad.gif

only kidding, but down to business think it'll get done? or tell me what programmes i need and mabe i can port it some time

#6 neil222

neil222

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:30 PM

With the guys that are porting stuff at the moment, I think there is a very real possibility it could happen...
Long live the Xbox!!!

biggrin.gif

#7 sirlemonhead

sirlemonhead

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:02 PM

It's only the game source, for modders use only

we need the game source and the engine source or we can't port it.

thread closed laugh.gif

#8 Foetopsy

Foetopsy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:21 AM

i thought you would just need the source code..so i was led to believe...im looking for this engine source now lol

#9 Clockface

Clockface

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE(Foetopsy @ Apr 16 2009, 09:57 AM) View Post

i thought you would just need the source code..so i was led to believe...im looking for this engine source now lol

You were right, you need the source code, but the term "source code" is vague and can be misleading. See, all computer programs are simply patterns of "bits", that, when fed through a certain silicon chip perform the desired operation. A computer cannot understand anything, it has no intelligence and understands nothing, and can understand nothing. You might think that a computer can understand Chess, or work out what 165233 divided by 65 is, or that your user name is "Mike", but in actual fact the computer doesn't know what Chess is, the computer cannot count, or even knows what numbers are, and the computer has no concept of names at all. And a console is just a computer.

And yes, a computer can beat almost anyone at Chess, it can perform mathematical operations far faster than any human can and with absolute accuracy, and it can store your user name, the names of everyone in the phone book, and find them instantly. But, and this is the important thing, the computer does not know that it is doing these things, because it knows nothing. If you throw a ball into the air, the muscles in your arm don't know that they are throwing a ball into the air, the muscles in your arm know nothing at all, and are incapable of knowing anything. Computers, like the muscles in your arm, are utterly incapable of thought.

When you play a computer at Chess, the computer is actually perorming hundreds of thousands, or even millions of tiny instructions, and together these instructions make the computer act as though it can understand and play Chess. The same instructions, in different sequences, can make the computer count, or draw an alien, or anything else. When a television displays a horse, the TV does not know that it's horse, the TV simply sets every single pixel (a pixel is a single dot on a TV or monitor screen) each to it's own colour, and the colour is dictated by the signal that the TV or monitor receives. A computer does almost exactly the same thing, in that a computer reads in each instruction, performs each instruction, then reads and performs the next instruction.

A computer program that is made up of these codes is usually called a "binary" or an executable (the code is in binary (binary is the base two number system) and it is executable, i.e. it can be executed, which means you can run it). But binary code is very hard to write, so programmers tend to write "source" code first. Source code, at it's most basic, is just a long hand way of writing binary code, but it's far easier for humans to use, as it uses decimal or hexadecimal instead of binary, it can contain comments (notes written by the programmer explaining what blocks of code actually do) and can be used to define repeated values. Computers cannot run source code, so source code must be run through a program (called a compiler, usually) that converts the source code to binary that the computer can run.

Also, programmers often tend to use high level languages, which are easy to write, though slower and more resource hungry than binary code. Again, humans write in source, and compile it into binary (though the binary produced is often inferior to the binary code a gifted human could write).

And so, to port ("port" meaning to transfer a program/game from one machine to a different one) game, the porter (programmer) needs the source code, as the source code is easier to understand that the binary, both beause of the language it's in, and hopefully the source contains lots of helpful comments.

A really talented programmer, with lots of spare time, could port a game without the source code, by painstakingly disassembling (also called reverse engineering, it means looking through thr binary code to see exactly what does what) the binary of the original game, but that would take a lot of work. You could pay a programmer a six month wage deal to do it, but I doubt many people would do it for fun.

Anyway, the thing is, you're right, the source code is needed to port a game, but you need the whole game's source code. But the link you gave only contained part of the source code, enough to write mods for the PC version, but not enough to rebuild the game from scratch. It's not your fault, the terminology is vague.

#10 sirlemonhead

sirlemonhead

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:40 AM

QUOTE(Foetopsy @ Apr 16 2009, 08:57 AM) View Post

Good luck..you'll never find it. It's not online and it hasn't ever been released, and if you did get it, it would be illegal to have it

#11 Foetopsy

Foetopsy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:57 AM

bummer....
how did you come acros the avp files?
btw have you got around to getting the in game music playing?

QUOTE(Clockface @ Apr 16 2009, 05:59 PM) View Post

You were right, you need the source code, but the term "source code" is vague and can be misleading. See, all computer programs are simply patterns of "bits", that, when fed through a certain silicon chip perform the desired operation. A computer cannot understand anything, it has no intelligence and understands nothing, and can understand nothing. You might think that a computer can understand Chess, or work out what 165233 divided by 65 is, or that your user name is "Mike", but in actual fact the computer doesn't know what Chess is, the computer cannot count, or even knows what numbers are, and the computer has no concept of names at all. And a console is just a computer.

And yes, a computer can beat almost anyone at Chess, it can perform mathematical operations far faster than any human can and with absolute accuracy, and it can store your user name, the names of everyone in the phone book, and find them instantly. But, and this is the important thing, the computer does not know that it is doing these things, because it knows nothing. If you throw a ball into the air, the muscles in your arm don't know that they are throwing a ball into the air, the muscles in your arm know nothing at all, and are incapable of knowing anything. Computers, like the muscles in your arm, are utterly incapable of thought.

When you play a computer at Chess, the computer is actually perorming hundreds of thousands, or even millions of tiny instructions, and together these instructions make the computer act as though it can understand and play Chess. The same instructions, in different sequences, can make the computer count, or draw an alien, or anything else. When a television displays a horse, the TV does not know that it's horse, the TV simply sets every single pixel (a pixel is a single dot on a TV or monitor screen) each to it's own colour, and the colour is dictated by the signal that the TV or monitor receives. A computer does almost exactly the same thing, in that a computer reads in each instruction, performs each instruction, then reads and performs the next instruction.

A computer program that is made up of these codes is usually called a "binary" or an executable (the code is in binary (binary is the base two number system) and it is executable, i.e. it can be executed, which means you can run it). But binary code is very hard to write, so programmers tend to write "source" code first. Source code, at it's most basic, is just a long hand way of writing binary code, but it's far easier for humans to use, as it uses decimal or hexadecimal instead of binary, it can contain comments (notes written by the programmer explaining what blocks of code actually do) and can be used to define repeated values. Computers cannot run source code, so source code must be run through a program (called a compiler, usually) that converts the source code to binary that the computer can run.

Also, programmers often tend to use high level languages, which are easy to write, though slower and more resource hungry than binary code. Again, humans write in source, and compile it into binary (though the binary produced is often inferior to the binary code a gifted human could write).

And so, to port ("port" meaning to transfer a program/game from one machine to a different one) game, the porter (programmer) needs the source code, as the source code is easier to understand that the binary, both beause of the language it's in, and hopefully the source contains lots of helpful comments.

A really talented programmer, with lots of spare time, could port a game without the source code, by painstakingly disassembling (also called reverse engineering, it means looking through thr binary code to see exactly what does what) the binary of the original game, but that would take a lot of work. You could pay a programmer a six month wage deal to do it, but I doubt many people would do it for fun.

Anyway, the thing is, you're right, the source code is needed to port a game, but you need the whole game's source code. But the link you gave only contained part of the source code, enough to write mods for the PC version, but not enough to rebuild the game from scratch. It's not your fault, the terminology is vague.

wow that was a good read smile.gif id love to learn to code..just my math is totally crap and ive lead to beleive you must have a ok or better grounding in maths so ive never persuied it...but i totally love what you guys do for the rest of us who cant.

#12 Clockface

Clockface

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE(Foetopsy @ Apr 17 2009, 10:33 AM) View Post

bummer....
how did you come acros the avp files?

Some companies allow the source code for a game(s) to become available to the public for free. This is called open source, and whilst it's rare for a commercial game to later become open source, there are a lot of games/emulators/programs released straight as open source (every emulator on the XBox, for example, is a port of an open source PC based emulator, unless any particular emulator on the XBox was written from scratch for the XBox, but I don't know of any).

Games that have had their source code released by their owners include Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, Descent, Descent 2, Doom 1, Doom 2, Quake 1, Quake 2, Quake 3, Rise of the Triad, and Alien vs. Predator. And fortunately someone with talent and knowledge of the XBox has ported each of these games to the XBox, for us.

The best list of open source, ex-commercial games I know of is at:

http://liberatedgame...gamelisting.php

and the best list of non-commercial open source games is:

http://en.wikipedia....en_source_games

any of these games can be ported to the XBox, although whether the XBox is powerful enough to run them properly is down to the game's resource demands.

Personally, I'd like to see Nexuiz, OpenArena, Blood Frontier, and Vega Strike ported to the XBox. But even if the XBox could handle these games, it's still a fair bit of (unpaid) work, so we have to rely on the goodness of people like SirLemonHead, Xport, A500, Carius, and others.

#13 Foetopsy

Foetopsy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:13 PM

id love to just see

blood
carmageddeon
diablo 1 or 2
avp 2
the first two the most

#14 Code-Red

Code-Red

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:54 PM

Unless you feel like paying out the licensing fee's to Monolith for their rather old Lithtech 1.0 engine, and explaining to them you are going to be using it to port over a game of theirs illegally to illegally modded Xbox's, you're SOL.

Blood 2 sucked anyhow. The first one, however, is a holy grail of entertainment. Too bad they "lost" the source code.

#15 neil222

neil222

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:25 AM

Redneck Rampage would be nice too.... biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users