• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dispencer

dispencer

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:11 PM

I recently botched an update to XBMC dash and ended up rebuilding the HD (probably unnecessarily, but anyway that's what happens when you're tired and not thinking clearly).

Using the previous XboxHDM live disk I had (3 years old now) I walked through the whole hot swap thing and got it working again. BUT...
I forgot that the disk had been set-up to boot to the M$ dash based on the tray state (option in Ndure) and I rebuilt C:\ from scratch to free up some extra space for music and movies (again not thinking clearly).

So my question:
How do I either 1) restore the M$ dash so it can boot properly based on the tray state, or 2) update the Ndure "install" so it doesn't look at the tray state anymore?

I'd rather not have to re-hotswap the drive (although I guess I don't have to since I do have the eprom.bin) as it just makes a mess of cables and is a pain pulling the xbox and computer to bits to get it all connected up.
Surely I can just FTP some files over and everything will be OK...

Help and advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
David.

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:28 PM

It's difficult to tell what exactly is missing, so on that basis I'd suggest that a clean upgrade would be the easiest option.

The simplest way to sort out your Xbox is to do the following:

Make sure that on your PC you have the following files easily to hand:
- the stock 5960 C dash files and folders from Slayers / AID / CASH
- a new set of Kingroach NDURE 3.1 C and E folders. Make these by running Kingroach 3.1, and simply selecting your Kernel version under "Kernel Selection" - leave all other options at default.

Bypass shadow C, either by running E:\ndts\default.xbe, or by cold booting with Frosty's rescue disk. The LED will turn red.

Then, without rebooting the xbox, do the following:

1. FTP to the Xbox and delete everything on the C partition
2. FTP the stock 5960 C dash files to the C partition
3. Use FTP to delete C:\xboxdashdata.185ead00\settings_adoc.xip from the Xbox
4. FTP the Kingroach Ndure C files to the C partition, overwriting any duplicate files as necessary
5. Use FTP to delete c:\xodash\ernie.xtf, c:\xodash\s.xtf (if used), and c:\xodash\xbox.xtf
6. Use FTP to copy the following files from the Kingroach NDURE C folder in this order:
- c:\xodash\ernie.xtf
- c:\xodash\s.xtf (if used - you may not have this file)
- c:\xodash\xbox.xtf
7. FTP the Kingroach Ndure E files to the E partition, overwriting any duplicate files as necessary

Now, reboot the Xbox. The LED will turn yellow, and everything will be fine - but you'll have no background sounds and an empty shadow C. For the final step, use FTP again to copy the stock 5960 C dash files to the C partition.

Reboot, and your softmod is now complete. If you want to change any of the options (like which dash loads when you boot with the eject button), you can adjust the softmod by running "Ndure Toolset" from the System Menu, or by running E:\ndts\default.xbe from UnleashX File Manager.

#3 dispencer

dispencer

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:24 PM

Ah! Thank you for taking the time to help out. It is much appreciated.

I'll get Ndure 3.1 and Frosty's rescue disk (would have been handy before and no doubt will be again in the future).

I did try quickly just launching the default.xbe in the E:\ntds folder but it didn't look like it was bypassing the shadowing of C when I FTP'ed in - could be because I launched from within XBMC rather than changing it to the dash to boot with??

Anyway I'll try over the weekend when I've got a little more time. Thanks again.

Cheers,
David.

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:46 PM

If the LED turns red then shadow C is bypassed - doesn't matter where you launch it from. smile.gif

#5 dispencer

dispencer

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:19 PM

OK, I've had a little chance to fiddle... The results are good, BUT (there's always one isn't there)

Running E:\ntds\default.xbe does indeed make the light turn red, an lo there is the un-shadowed C:\

So I deleted, and copied over the stock M$ dash. The problem comes when I go to copy over the Ndure files. shadowc.img won't fit. Evidently when I rebuilt the HD within XboxHDM it only made C:\ minimally sized (which is what I wanted) so not big enough (only about 500MB) for the dash plus ndure files.

How to fix?
My guess is hot swap and use XboxHDM to redo things.
Maybe Frosty's rescue disk (which I got but am yet to try) has some options.

Well I'm not too unhappy because I did patch the Ndure install on E:\ and C:\, just skipped putting the M$ stock dash files. It boots fine and because I re-did the Ndure installer it doesn't try to boot the retail dash when the eject button is pushed.

Again thanks for your help.

BTW for others reading - Would you believe that most of the information I was lacking was actually in the new Ndure Installer 3.1 .pdf? Just goes to show RTFM. I guess that goes double for me. rolleyes.gif

Cheers,
David.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users