• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mikesshunk

Mikesshunk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Interests:Modding, Electronics, Football.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:12 AM

Well, this past weekend I got my first computer. It's ok but I'd like to upgrade it and eventually just replace all the parts entirely.
Here's some specs:
Windows XP Pro
Intel Pentium 4 1.80ghz
512mb DDR ram PC3200
40gb IDE hdd
Integrated video and audio
CD drive (not a burner)
Floppy drive
3 unused PCI slots
1 extra CD drive bay
No SATA
200w psu
Crappy, ugly case

I'm not sure what brand the mobo is but I believe it's a Micro-ATX with a 478 socket.
So where should I go from here? I'm on a pretty tight budget (no job) so this will have to be kinda gradual.

#2 StrictPuppet

StrictPuppet

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:44 AM

I mean no offence by this, but I have thrown away much better computers than that, and I keep everything...

I would concentrate on all the peripherals first as there is not much you can do with out a more serious upgrade, and could be transferred over to a new pc later.

=- DVD-RW drive -- $25
=- Case/PSU -- $50-$250...depends on psu etc
=- Bigger HDD -- $50-???... depends on size but your max choice will be limited if you stick with IDE

Add another gig of ram if you can find some at a decent price, older stuff like that tends to be more expensive if bought new, used or ebay etc might be a good place to look.

Finding out what your actual mobo supports as far as processors go, you may be able to pick up something a bit better ~2.8ghz in a 478.... again you pretty much will have to find that used.

Vid card... pretty much not worth worrying about as anything decent now will be pci-e, and you didnt mention whether the mobo even has an AGP slot. PCI vidcard....maybe if you can find an old Nvidia Riva TNT for $5-$10 used somewhere, otherwise dont worry about graphics too much.

Toss the floppy drive in the trash and just clean the whole thing up. If you have an XP disc, a fresh install should restore some pep to that relic....

#3 lostboyz

lostboyz

Mr. Knowitall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:32 AM

I just trashed a computer last week with these specs, you are buying into at least 2 generation old architecture.

I have a p4 2.8ghz and 2x512mb ddr ram if you want to buy it. Not looking for too much either

and basically everything strictpuppet said

#4 Mikesshunk

Mikesshunk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:17 AM

QUOTE(lostboyz @ Apr 16 2009, 06:08 AM) View Post

I just trashed a computer last week with these specs, you are buying into at least 2 generation old architecture.

Actually, I got it for free so I'm not buying into anything. My dad was just gonna junk it but I figured I'd take it.

I'm not really planning on buying ram or a new processor. I was just wondering what I should get that I could use on a later pc, like hard drives and such. I was just trying to get a little input on here. I was kinda thinking about a few of the things Strictpuppet suggested. Once I have everything that I can put into this thing that would be compatible with a new computer, I'll probably get a new OS and mobo and processor and such. I'll think I'll stick with the current video right now too. I'm not really going to ever use an old 1998 pci card on a newer computer. Shit. I'm not even sure if it's better than the current one. And I don't think re-installing XP is going to do too much. I just did that when I got it smile.gif

As far as hard drives go, does anyone know if ide->sata adapters are any good?

#5 steveo1978

steveo1978

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:00 AM

i would go for the dvd-rw drive first before anything else then an external hdd instead of an internal and just keep the 40gb in there for now then go for the case and psu

#6 Mikesshunk

Mikesshunk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:49 AM

Well I'm getting a DVD burner Monday from a friend for $10. I suppose it's a start. And does anyone have some experiences with SATA PCI adapters? I'm looking to buy one since IDE is expensive and I need a new hard drive pretty badly. I got a whole 7 gigs left.

#7 lostboyz

lostboyz

Mr. Knowitall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:03 AM

I would just get an external drive they are only $10 more than internals

#8 Mikesshunk

Mikesshunk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:58 PM

Are they as fast though? I mostly have my hard drive filled with movies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users