• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kulikan

kulikan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:29 PM

I'm a complete an utter newb on this, I've never done/attempted anything like this before, but I think it's time for the 360 to be... murderd. I want to put Linux onto my console, but everyones guides seem to complicated for me.. half the time they don't actually tell you what to do properly either. So I was wondering if someone could write me up a mini-but-big-guide on how-to do this? I don't know how to get/or what is my kernal number of my 360 is, and I'm using the 20gb HDD, the original factory 1, non modded/changed (i'm concidering putting in a 200gb, maybe 120gb not sure yet) but yea, I'd like to put Linux on my 360, but in doing this, can I play original 360 games? (I have literally every single game possible - and don't really wanna not be able to play them) and if I don't get on with it, can it be easily removed and my 360 restored to it's original self?
cheers
- arron

#2 dervboy

dervboy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:30 AM

ok, firstly i advise you to keep googling, and ask questions about specifics if you are not sure.
in brief, the version of xbox you need is x.4532 and you can view the version of your xbox in the system settings menu, or there abouts.
if you currently play on xbox live, then your version will be 7xxx which is not exploitable. also, if you have ever put a hard drive in your xbox from a console on live, then this will try to update your xbox, and lastly if your console is a warranty repair then this is not exploitable full stop (so i hear)

so if your xbox has never been warrantied, but is updated to 7xxx then you still have a chance. you need to buy a mod chip, and solder some very tiny wires to be able to downgrade your dashboard to the exploitable version. this is what i have done.

ideally you want a friendly linux installed, like ubuntu but im having some difficulty on that since ubuntu 9.0x is out they have removed 7.04 and 7.10 which is what we need to install to hard disk.

if you dont backup your xbox hard disk then no, you will not be able to use it in a 360 anymore since you will remove the partition information.

since you will be using a mod chip and soldering, this will invalidate any warranty you had, and since the dashboard will be downgraded you will not be able to play on live anymore. what will happen when you try is that m$ will try to get you to update your box which you dont want.

also, since you also need to remove a resistor which is to do with encryption during the update process, you will need to either re-solder this back on, and then update only if you want to put your xbox back to the way it was before.

i suggest you buy a 3RLOD box, fix it, and go from there. this is my path. just be careful what you buy and who you buy from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users