Xmodder deluX

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:37 PM

Does anyone know how to make the xbox hard drive as fast as possible? Do you need to replace the stock ide cable? How about solid slate drives? Would those offer the fastest performance regardless of the price?

#2 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,743 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:54 PM

well theres only so much performance you can get, with the DVD drive plugged in it will only go to ATA 33 speeds (and IIRC only ATA 100 without the dvd drive)

although a solid state drive will probably have lower seek times im not sure how much this will noticably effect performance

#3 Trebz

Trebz

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:___
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:30 PM

Your best bet would be to upgrade to an after market hard drive, a 7200RPM IDE model. The standard hard drives can only be described as old and crotchety in my opinion. Good in their time im sure but not upto the job nowadays, especially if you run XBMC like me. Expect your internal temperatures to rise a little after installing a 7200RPM hard drive. Nothing to worry about really but im personally a bit funny about things running hot.

Upgrade the IDE cable also. Throw the original in the bin.

You'll not get the Xbox to run much faster, i've done this myself and im more than happy with the results.

#4 Xmodder deluX

Xmodder deluX

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:45 AM

Yeah, I upgraded one of my xboxes with a 500 GB but I don't remember if it was a 5400 RPM or a 7200. It does load a little quicker than the stock hard drive, but not by that much. I will probably get a faster hard drive for my other xbox though.

#5 Vash3k

Vash3k

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:17 AM

The IDE bus speed on the Xbox motherboard is ATA33, so while you may get a nicer signal with ATA66 or 100 cables, don't expect to get any more substantial improvements than that. Besides that, you can go with drives that have faster seek times. Yet, because the bus speed is ATA33, using SATA or newer IDE drives will still be forced to a lower speed.

Edited by Vash3k, 18 April 2009 - 01:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users