7 replies to this topic

#1 nkilian83

nkilian83

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:49 PM

So I recently got a modded xbox and was delighted to find such a cool community that is very much alive for an old system. Took a long time of searching and what not to get everything going fairly well on my xbox(Roms/emulators/Updates) Considering it's more of a 'we don't talk about it' rule everywhere, but awesome documentation on this forum helped me a lot.

This lil proggy is simple for people like me who are noobs and have a task of sorting out thousands of rom files for editing when there are so many different sources to get these roms. It's so simple I feel stupid for posting it but if anyone needs help it does two things :

First Tab just sorts out files into another directory that have some kind of delimiter of choice. I used it to sort out non English roms ( files named with (j) ) or finding all 32x files in a genesis directory to rename correctly.

example 32x - NFL Quarterback Club was originally named NFL Quarterback Club32x so its hard to sort by 32x from a directory of 1000 roms.

IPB Image
As you can see you just type a delimiter and it throws them into a sub directory.

Secondnd Tab
was my way of sorting out the files of a directory that needed to be named correctly to align with screenshots folders/files. two options for this. Some emulators use screen shots named by directories(Like what my Genesis emulator does) and some use screenshots named by actual file names like what my SNES emulator does (NBA JAM.png)

IPB Image

just plops them into a renamefolder for you to know what you need to rename. I know there is like a RenameRoms program for some reason it got fubared on me trying to get the dat files working and I had to make this program instead.

Located here : http://office.pcrecr...ianRomUtils.exe

It's a vb2008 program. But if you think its a virus I'll give you the code :
http://office.pcrecr...ianRomUtils.zip

Edited by nkilian83, 20 April 2009 - 10:50 PM.

#2 nkilian83

nkilian83

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:14 PM

Oh and please backup roms/screenshots for any unforeseen events that could occur. I don't want to be responsible for lost data! laugh.gif

#3 irishwhip

irishwhip

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Interests:unhealthy
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:10 PM

never heard of cowerings goodtools then?

#4 nkilian83

nkilian83

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:10 PM

Nope I just got my xbox a month ago and its pretty tough to get up to speed from years and years of advancement. This prog is more for people like me who stumble on the site and are new to this kind of stuff. It made my life a little easier getting all my roms sorted and organized since the roms i downloaded were named vastly different than res' artwork files(Thanks btw to all the programers,artists,and people who work in this community this stuff is really awesome to use).

Edited by nkilian83, 21 April 2009 - 03:15 PM.

#5 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:39 PM

I probably could have used tools like this man. Nice write up on it too.

I did most of my work by hand. I'm nearing completion of what I'm going to do on my Box, so I probably won't get much use from it now. Check out my banner below to get a bunch of great stuff for your box. Tons of work from the community is already done so you don't have to go re-inventing the wheel when it comes to setting up your box. Feel free to ask questions in there. Somebody will be around at some point with answers for you.

Later,
~Rx

#6 nkilian83

nkilian83

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:45 PM

Ya your thread helped a lot. I finally got all the NES,Genesis games completed and synced up with your artwork files. Sitting and going through about 500 renames took a bit of time but for some reason it was worth it! Now the problem is I don't know which games to start playing because I have so many love.gif

#7 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:01 PM

Cool man. Glad to know you're using it. cool.gif

Now all you have to do is learn how to use Romcenter. The pre-made datfiles that me and Mega_Man_(?) provided would have renamed all of those roms for you in a few minutes if you used them in romcenter.

I'm sure there are plenty of systems you're still planning on setting up, so it's worth looking into for the future.

#8 nkilian83

nkilian83

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:49 PM

I used RomCenter to do coinops emulator roms considering I had like 6000 roms. I used your dat files on Romcenter and somehow I did something like delete a profile and it messed the whole program up and it won't work anymore. Suffice to say I was too lazy to figure out and just made a quick program to sort the files out. Plus it gave me something fun to do at work muhaha.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users