• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Location:Brisbane, QLD, AUST, Earth, SOL System, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:54 AM

hey guys,
i'm an avid TSOP installer and mod chip installer but I've never dwelled into the linux side.

I'm thinking about taking the DVD drive out of the xbox and throwing in a 2nd HDD in there.

Now what I'm wanting to do is have the FATX drive (upgraded to 80gig) as one and Linux partition on the other physical drive.

I was going to install a switch to kill the power between each drive so only one drive boots up at a time but from what I understand you'd have to split the onboard BIOS (v1.1) also and put it on the switch so that linux BIOS can load.

Am I correct so far? or wayy off?

#2 Zebedee Rocks

Zebedee Rocks

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:44 PM

Yes you are correct so far, but you will also have to flash the other side with a bios that will cut out the dvd drive as well. I'm actually going to attempt this sometime soon, but I am going to keep the dvd drive and place the linux HD underneath the dvd drive.

#3 eXo

eXo

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:59 AM

hey ZR, thanks for confirming what I've got so far. I'm thinking we can help each other out on this =)

So by flashing the 'other' BIOS do you mean the BIOs that supports FATX or Linux?

I've been able to boot up the FATX OS without a DVD drive and it works a treat so I'm asuming your referring the the linux CROMWELL BIOS ?

#4 joesnose

joesnose

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:12 PM

Exo you need to add a switch to your tsop, so you can switch between banks, only earlier xboxs with larger tsop chips can do this. otherwise you will need a chip.

If you have an xbox with a large tsop and you add the switch it will basically split the chip into two giving you two bios slots, flash one with the cromwell bios, when done flick the switch and flash the other with an xbox bios. i think you are understanding this already.

#5 donofrio

donofrio

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:23 PM

Anyone know how I can get hda55 and hdb55 mounted at the same time, each time I've tried its like the kernel will only mount hda55 and not hdb55 (/dev/something not found?) fdisk -l does show both drives last I tried just woudn't mount both at the same time....takes a transfer time of 6hours (cp hda55 to hdb55) to three days (over ftp)

#6 eXo

eXo

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 03:15 AM

hey dono, try adding it to your umount config to automount at startup?

#7 Zebedee Rocks

Zebedee Rocks

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 01:47 PM

Hey eXo sorry for dropping out on you like that. I managed to fry the version 1.0 motherboard that I was going to install the switch on sad.gif Make a long frustrating story short I've been through quite a few xbox's since but I have successfully flashed Cromwell to one bank on my new v1.0 TSOP and I kept the original bios on the other bank. Instead of getting two HD's in there I just use loopback file installs, right now I have XDSL v0.5 v0.6 v0.702 beta and Gentoox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users