• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DJKrafty03

DJKrafty03

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:13 PM

I have been on these forums and fixed many 360's many different ways from the tutorials on this site.

I came in to possession of a used 360 from Gamestop that is very peculiar. The 360 powers on, fans come on, but it doesn't boot. I wait and it won't display red lights. I figured I'd try the X-clamp fix and fix it. I tried the X clamp and when I turned it on it immediately went to two red lights as if it had overheated. I checked the heatsinks and they were cold. I waited about 15 minutes checking every 5 and they never got hot.

From this point I'm going to try to heatgun the cores since it won't overheat on it's own. I'm going to heatgun it on low for about a minute and a half to two minutes, then let it cool and see if I can do the X-Clamp fix again.

Any other ideas on what this could be? I've never seen it and after searching the IT Knowledge base (Google) I found one thing and they said to X-clamp it.

#2 blong579

blong579

X-S Senior Member

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:20 PM

i dont know about the red lights but are you using hdmi or the cable hockups. when using hdmi on mine it will not boot up untill i set my tv to the hdmi input. the lights on the front will come on but it will not boot up till i turn the tv tuner to hdmi. if your using the hdmi out on the xbox i would try changing hdmi cords or maybe hocking up the other cables. good luck

#3 DJKrafty03

DJKrafty03

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:24 PM

The box has never booted before. It's a regular xbox with no HDMI, I know my cables good as well. When I say boot I mean, either the green rings at startup or the red rings, but it doesn't do either.

#4 subliminall

subliminall

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:20 AM

Tried a new PSU??
Almost positively a short somewhere. That's the only way I've had those symptoms. Check near where the power cord plugs in and make sure the metal fins that touch the cage are not bent. Also check the USB ports. People get jamming these and cause shorts.

#5 DJKrafty03

DJKrafty03

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE(subliminall @ Apr 30 2009, 02:12 AM) View Post

Tried a new PSU??
Almost positively a short somewhere. That's the only way I've had those symptoms. Check near where the power cord plugs in and make sure the metal fins that touch the cage are not bent. Also check the USB ports. People get jamming these and cause shorts.

I'm using my power supply and have never had an issue with it. I used the heat gun and did the E74/No video fix and it works perfectly now. It booted when I went to do the X-Clamp portion of the fix and then overheated like normal. I let it cool down, put it all back together and, viola, boots just fine. I sat there and played Halo 3 for two hours and no issues whatsoever. I checked to see how hot it was and it didn't even feel as warm as a normal 360 after playing for that long. This doesn't have the new heatsink with the extra heat spreader either.

I tested both USB ports just now and they both work fine.

No idea what could of caused the issue I was seeing. You'd think the skeezs at Gamestop would test equipment before they sold it.......

#6 BlackWar

BlackWar

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:17 AM

I had a similar issue (it would power up, but no ROL and the center of the power button did not light up, but the 360 DID turn on, the fans were running). It was traced down to a bad connection between the PSU and 360.

Also, if they were selling it as "used", then chances are they just plugged it in, didnt see any RROD, called it good and put it on the shelf. "As-is" and "used" doesn't mean "working" dry.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users