3 replies to this topic

#1 morhaven

morhaven

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 03:32 PM

hey guys,

I have setup in windows2003 server VPN service is enabled. My buddy also has This OS.
We setupa VPN to each other. setup RIP on my cisco router and win2k3 server to advertise to vpn route back.

SO my buddy can ping my xbox and I can ping his, therefore the routing is 100%. we can see each other. I can also ftp from pc to his xbox and vice versa..but cannot use xbftp to xbox sad.gif

But my question is why is it that when we launch a game the xbox'es cannot see each toher?

HAs anyone tried system link over a vpn.. maybe tell me a how-to or link to it.

I know we ca use gamespy and xboxgateway but this is just to test and have fun. yes vpn uses more bandwith for nothing..

any tips appreciated
Thannks

#2 ifantig

ifantig

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 07:42 PM

I'm assuming that you and your friend have different LAN addresses. In other words your LAN address (e.g., 172.16.100.0) is on a different network than your friend's (e.g., 192.168.0.0). If that's true I don't think that the XBOX OS is capable of routing. In other words the System Link feature assumes that both XBOXes are on the same LAN with the same subnet. This is my guess, if anyone can clarify that would be great, I'm curious about this myself.

P.S., yes a VPN can use more bandwith depending on your encryption scheme but it's not for nothing.

Edited by ifantig, 23 June 2003 - 07:43 PM.

#3 ifantig

ifantig

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 07:48 PM

you can try changing your LAN addresses on your PCs so that they end up being on the same network. For example, 192.168.0.1 for one PC and 192.168.0.2 for the other. Are you using DHCP to give your XBOX an IP? If you are, make sure you and your friend's XBOX aren't assigned the same address.

#4 west17m

west17m

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 07:53 PM

Have you ever tried xbconnect? It even supports chat. You would both also need pc's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users