4 replies to this topic

#1 kariya_jr

kariya_jr

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:51 AM

Hello folks,

Today I tried to flash my stock Hitachi 59 drive to iExtreme 1.51 firmware. I have a PC, Windows Vista, and a VIA VT-6241 chipset.

To preface, I set the drive in ModeB by plugging it into the VIA chipset and running Slax 2.1. When accessing the drive in Windows (in ModeB), I plug the drive directly into the onboard mobo SATA ports. I do this because it seems to hang my system when booted plugged into the VIA chipset.

I initially tried the method using JungleFlasher but I was not able to get the drive recognized in JF. I tried all kinds of stuff, PortIO, driver removals, replacements, etc...So I reverted to using Firmware Toolbox 4.8. At this point I used Slax 2.1 to boot the drive into ModeB and it was read fine in Windows (still no luck with JF).

I used the Firmware Toolbox to read the drive firmware and copied the .bin file to my desktop. I also saved my drive key. From this point, I loaded the iExtreme 1.51 firmware file for the Hitachi 59 (found in the JF Firmware Pack), and copied the key to it. After this, I did the Direct Drive Flash , With Differential Flash (in PATCH).

When I did this differential flash process, I did the read and compare, at which point the program asked me if I wanted to overwrite the drive key. I said yes (figuring there would be no errors, since the keys would be the same).

When the flashing process began, it went well for about 65% of the process. Then, each sector "failed to verify" offering to retry or to skip. Retry would not work for all the sectors, so I was forced to skip.

Finally, the drive does not work after this. It is no longer recognized as a drive in Windows. The power LEDs blink constantly like in ModeB, but the drive won't eject and cannot be configured in any manner to do so. Windows will simply not recognize the drive.

I fear I've bricked it. This makes me really mad because I got through so far to the point where I was uploading firmware, and managed to screw it up. Is there a way that drives can be read from (to access and download the original firmware), but not written to? I don't understand the verification errors.

Is there anything I can do from here? Please help me.

#2 hardie

hardie

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:11 AM

its possible it is bricked - but if you can get it recognized in windows, what you can do is use the correct orig firmware from the jf pack and inject your key into it and try to restore the drive back to stock again
if all goes well you should be able to read, create your hacked firmware and flash
if you have your key buy another drive the same and reflash or different drive but that requires spoofing

#3 pricemeista33

pricemeista33

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE(kariya_jr @ May 3 2009, 05:43 AM) View Post

Hello folks,

Today I tried to flash my stock Hitachi 59 drive to iExtreme 1.51 firmware. I have a PC, Windows Vista, and a VIA VT-6241 chipset.

To preface, I set the drive in ModeB by plugging it into the VIA chipset and running Slax 2.1. When accessing the drive in Windows (in ModeB), I plug the drive directly into the onboard mobo SATA ports. I do this because it seems to hang my system when booted plugged into the VIA chipset.

I initially tried the method using JungleFlasher but I was not able to get the drive recognized in JF. I tried all kinds of stuff, PortIO, driver removals, replacements, etc...So I reverted to using Firmware Toolbox 4.8. At this point I used Slax 2.1 to boot the drive into ModeB and it was read fine in Windows (still no luck with JF).

I used the Firmware Toolbox to read the drive firmware and copied the .bin file to my desktop. I also saved my drive key. From this point, I loaded the iExtreme 1.51 firmware file for the Hitachi 59 (found in the JF Firmware Pack), and copied the key to it. After this, I did the Direct Drive Flash , With Differential Flash (in PATCH).

When I did this differential flash process, I did the read and compare, at which point the program asked me if I wanted to overwrite the drive key. I said yes (figuring there would be no errors, since the keys would be the same).

When the flashing process began, it went well for about 65% of the process. Then, each sector "failed to verify" offering to retry or to skip. Retry would not work for all the sectors, so I was forced to skip.

Finally, the drive does not work after this. It is no longer recognized as a drive in Windows. The power LEDs blink constantly like in ModeB, but the drive won't eject and cannot be configured in any manner to do so. Windows will simply not recognize the drive.

I fear I've bricked it. This makes me really mad because I got through so far to the point where I was uploading firmware, and managed to screw it up. Is there a way that drives can be read from (to access and download the original firmware), but not written to? I don't understand the verification errors.

Is there anything I can do from here? Please help me.

I've done this one too and what you need to do is ensure that you have JF set up correctly i.e. (VIA530c drivers with the "viaraid.sys" file removed out of the Systems 32/ drivers folder" and reboot. Now use JF to simply restore your Hitachi back to the original FW as you saved it right? Just click the radio button that says Restore Firmware and click on the Restore to Stock button. Make sure that the drive is in Mode B firstly and that the drive is open though. As long as you have your stock FW you are good to go.

#4 kariya_jr

kariya_jr

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:16 PM

The problem is, I can't get it to eject. I believe it's lost the key. Thus, I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it to recognize in Windows, not to mention the absolute mess of problems I had with JungleFlasher that led me to use Firmware Toolbox in the first place.

I've also heard it may be necessary to reprogram the TSOP, which sounds daunting.

#5 wlintek

wlintek

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:16 AM

QUOTE(kariya_jr @ May 3 2009, 09:08 PM) View Post

The problem is, I can't get it to eject. I believe it's lost the key. Thus, I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it to recognize in Windows, not to mention the absolute mess of problems I had with JungleFlasher that led me to use Firmware Toolbox in the first place.

I've also heard it may be necessary to reprogram the TSOP, which sounds daunting.

the drive is definitely bricked. but as you have the key and orig.bin saved, you are not screwed. you can either buy another drive and flash it with your key or desolder the TSOP from the bricked and flash it using an external programmer.

it'll be much easier if you just buy another drive, hopefully still the hitachi59 or you'll need to spoof the firmware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users