5 replies to this topic

#1 rashid420

rashid420

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 03:54 AM

I searched through the forums for the answer. But I simply could not figure it out.

I believe I am good and ready to upgrade my XBox HD to a 160GB drive. I followed all instructions for XBoxHDM and now have linux.iso and am just itching to begin. Thought I would go over all steps one more time and realized that after I will upgrade the drive, I will have to go and format it. Now I looked on my UnleashX menus for "Format Menu" command but simply cannot find it.

Will this menu automagically show up once I have upgraded the drive? Or do I have the wrong version of UnleashX? If that's the case I'll first upgrade version of UnleashX (how?) and then remake my linux.iso.

Or is it because I have not "enabled G drive" under UnleashX "Settings"?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:02 AM

Sounds like you're copying your current softmod, and it has a messed up config.xml. Either get hold of the standard UnleashX config.xml and put that on your Xbox after you've built the new disk, or build your xboxhdm disk with Kingroach instead of the copy of your current softmod, and get a new, clean softmod - this post explains how to do it.

It has nothing to do with "Enable G drive" settings.

You might also want to update your UnleashX to the latest version after you've done the softmod (even if you use Kingroach, because it doesn't have the latest UnleashX) - just overwrite your dashboard default.xbe with the latest UnleashX default.xbe. For Kingroach it's in E:\dash\default.xbe.

#3 rashid420

rashid420

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ May 4 2009, 01:54 AM) View Post

Sounds like you're copying your current softmod, and it has a messed up config.xml. Either get hold of the standard UnleashX config.xml and put that on your Xbox after you've built the new disk, or build your xboxhdm disk with Kingroach instead of the copy of your current softmod, and get a new, clean softmod - this post explains how to do it.

It has nothing to do with "Enable G drive" settings.

You might also want to update your UnleashX to the latest version after you've done the softmod (even if you use Kingroach, because it doesn't have the latest UnleashX) - just overwrite your dashboard default.xbe with the latest UnleashX default.xbe. For Kingroach it's in E:\dash\default.xbe.

I did go over the post once, but quite frankly most of it went over my head. When I originally soft modded my XBox, I looked at SID and AID and all that, but was so confused, I went the "manual" route. That was very easy for me and I have successfully softmodded 3 different XBox'es.

I think my best bet is to upgrade my UnleashX first, manually. Just wanted to make sure I didn't misunderstand you. Did you say I could simply replace all the files in E:\dashboard with the contents of the latest UnleashX archive? Just wanted to make sure I didn't make my XBox unbootable after that. I mean I'll already be in UnleashX when I'd be FTPing these over. So I'll kinda be updating a "file", i.e. default.xbe while it is actually executing on my XBox. Is this even possible? Does the XBox load the whole xbe into memory while executing?

If you could please clarify the manual UnleashX upgrade process for me I would appreciate it. The Live Update just will not work even if I directly connect the XBox to my router. And also, where do I go get the latest UnleashX files?

Finally, is it best I simply upgrade HD first and THEN upgrade UnleashX and THEN format it? This way at least leave my stock HD pristine in case I mess up just the new HD so I can start over. If I mess up my stock HD right now, then I'm pretty much hosed until I fix it first. Just a thought.

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:28 PM

You get the latest UnleashX from the usual places, and you can copy it across while UnleashX is running, because it runs from memory.

Leaving the current disk alone and upgrading the new disk is a good idea, but I'd really recommend that you use the post I linked to and build your new disk with a new Kingroach softmod. I don't know which part went over your head - it just talks about copying and renaming files, and selecting options from the xboxhdm menu - all of which you have to do to build the disk anyway!

#5 rashid420

rashid420

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ May 4 2009, 01:20 PM) View Post

You get the latest UnleashX from the usual places, and you can copy it across while UnleashX is running, because it runs from memory.

Leaving the current disk alone and upgrading the new disk is a good idea, but I'd really recommend that you use the post I linked to and build your new disk with a new Kingroach softmod. I don't know which part went over your head - it just talks about copying and renaming files, and selecting options from the xboxhdm menu - all of which you have to do to build the disk anyway!

I will first upgrade the HD and then upgrade the UnleashX as you ratified.

Regarding King Roach method, it went over my head probably because I'm not seeing the forest from the trees. I'm not a techy guy and am antsy about frying my XBox. But I will learn and do as you suggest with King Roach once I have successfully done upgrade. Now that I know I can leave the existing HD alone even if I mess up I can recover.

Just bought a couple of used drives and hopefully they'll all "lock" properly.

Thanks for all your help.

Best Regards.

#6 rashid420

rashid420

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:13 AM

QUOTE(rashid420 @ May 4 2009, 05:18 PM) View Post

I will first upgrade the HD and then upgrade the UnleashX as you ratified.

Regarding King Roach method, it went over my head probably because I'm not seeing the forest from the trees. I'm not a techy guy and am antsy about frying my XBox. But I will learn and do as you suggest with King Roach once I have successfully done upgrade. Now that I know I can leave the existing HD alone even if I mess up I can recover.

Just bought a couple of used drives and hopefully they'll all "lock" properly.

Thanks for all your help.

Best Regards.

Okay sorry for posting here, but I dunno where to go. I burnt the linux.iso according to instructions here.

http://www.techfreak.../modxbox2.shtml

Now I know my BIOS settings are correct and that my CD drive is bootable. I tried on two different machines. The CD I'm creating using ImgBurn simply does not boot. Can anyone help please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users