PlastiKK_

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:34 AM

First off, I'll apologize for asking a question that I'm sure has probably been answered before. I've searched for quite a while now and can't get a definite answer, so maybe someone can help clear things up for me.

I have an old (release date) 360 that I flashed with one of the older firmware releases. It got the RRoD a year or 2 ago. Since then I've been using the HDD from that console in a newer 360, which I have never modded, and use to play Xbox Live. I recently was able to get my broken 360 to work, thanks to this tutorial - http://www.instructa...without-towels/

Now my old console works fine, but when I plug the HDD into it and turn it on, it wants me to update my system before letting me play games on it.

I'm guessing that it's the newer dashboard update, and maybe a few others. My question is- will allowing the update malfunction/brick my old xbox (with one of the original flashed firmwares)? From what I have read, I would assume that my older console would be fine after the update. I just want to make sure that my resurrected 360 will work with the updates that the HDD is trying to apply since it was in an unmodded console connected to Live.

Sorry again for being out of the loop for so long.

#2 insanityforall

insanityforall

X-S Senior Member

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:22 AM

I've done NUMEROUS online updates, (game updates and system updates) on modded consoles, and have never been banned as a result. I think the people that say they got banned after updating, just didn't want to admit they were playing online with an improperly ripped backup disc. However I also have never used a firmware older than 1.4 so maybe you shouldn't listen to me. But I'm pretty sure they don't download the drive's firmware when you update. If you are really paranoid just dowwnload the updates from xbox.com and install them yourself, via burned discs. No connection to live = no possible ban.

#3 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,807 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:26 PM

The update should have no affect on the dvd drive and its mod. But if you plan to go on Live at all you should update the drives firmware mod to the newest ixtreme.

#4 PlastiKK_

PlastiKK_

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:31 PM

I wasn't planning on using my modded Xbox on Live since I have an unmodded one for that, but I will, however, use the same HDD on both consoles. From what I have read, only a modded Xbox connected to Live can be banned, and then it's only the console that is banned, not the storage device or the profiles stored on it.

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users