Photo

Tutorial On One Way To Fix Red Flashing Light Of Death!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Light-It-Up

Light-It-Up

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:To mod game consoles
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:38 AM

Hey,
only one of the two PS3 consoles I had to redo the reflow process again due to not melting the reballs under the CPU and GPU chips, When I first did the reflow to both PS3 consoles I should have heated them for 4 minutes and I would not have one out the two consoles to have the YLOD again ! When you do the reflow on the PS3 CPU and GPU heat them for 4 minutes in a circle pattern, it is ok to heat them for that long due to there are no big caps around the chips to be damage by heat. Soon I'm going to post a tutorial on useing a oven treatment to melt the reballs on the CPU and GPU.

pop.gif

#17 JAmerican

JAmerican

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE(Light-It-Up @ Oct 1 2009, 08:38 PM) View Post

Hey,
only one of the two PS3 consoles I had to redo the reflow process again due to not melting the reballs under the CPU and GPU chips, When I first did the reflow to both PS3 consoles I should have heated them for 4 minutes and I would not have one out the two consoles to have the YLOD again ! When you do the reflow on the PS3 CPU and GPU heat them for 4 minutes in a circle pattern, it is ok to heat them for that long due to there are no big caps around the chips to be damage by heat. Soon I'm going to post a tutorial on useing a oven treatment to melt the reballs on the CPU and GPU.
pop.gif

Can you explain the reflow process in depth. It seems like you are referring to two different procedures in this thread.

Is this whole tutorial for the reflow process or for another process? Any clarification would be great.

I keep seeing posts referring to high heat vs low heat.

Also, doesn't the aluminum foil just bake the motherboard since the heat can travel under the foil.

Edited by JAmerican, 02 October 2009 - 07:33 PM.

#18 Halo_2

Halo_2

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:50 AM

How do you test whether it's hdd, power supply or reflow

Can u remove hard drive and power up to see if it hard drive??
What voltage should I get on certain plugs??
If that doesn't work reflow???

#19 Light-It-Up

Light-It-Up

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:To mod game consoles
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:56 PM

My pictures are backing on the tutorial for your viewing needs!

#20 klokwyze

klokwyze

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:44 PM

I realize this hasn't been bumped in awhile, but I just picked up a YLOD fat PS3 and am literally in the middle of doing the heat gun fix right now.

Are there any more thorough guides on this anywhere? I didn't see anything sticky-ed that resembled anything like this.

#21 rocxylemmon

rocxylemmon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:33 AM

Okay, I want to say this was a BIG! B**** and I never want to do this again OMG!!! SONY YOU B***ERDS! I figured this out with your help litemup for this cool write up and for youtube for the help as well on how to properley take this crap apart the right way hehe.....

I have some advice to help with this fix cause your alls way may have worked for you but for me it did not work but me being persistent as I am I kept at it and figured it out, what I did to get it to work is after you get new thermal paste on it and you get the metal casing back on the circutboard then put the 2 supports back on with the 4 black screws and tighten them up and then lay the board down on a flat serfice and break out the heat gun and cover everything up with aluminumfoil and cut out the holes in it to match the 2 supports with the black screws. I just cut one hole out and laid somthing on the foil to keep it from blowing off then I held the heatgun to that mount and in a circler motion at about 5 to 6 inches on low setting for about 4 to 5 min and then stop heating it and move the aluminamfoil down to the other mount and do that one next for about the same time.

Now this is where I messed up do NOT! flip the sucker over and try to do the area with the fan shrowed even covering it up with foil you will melt the crap out of that shrowed and cause that crapy non heat resistent plastic to be odd blob shape for your fan and you will have a fan with a stigmatisam hehe....

I did this and then the fan was not turning because of the stigmatisam hehe.... but the system did boot and it was working but then shut down because of the fan not working from the melted stigmatisam plastic so I had to cut out some plastic where it was catching the fan blades and keeping it from turning freeley.

So I recammend just heating up the non fan side and see what that does first and if that don't work then do the other side but do it for less time like 2 min. and take a cooling break of about 2 min. and start back at it for another 2 min. and let it cool and you should be safe but if you smell burning plastic then STOP! or your going to give your fan a stigmatisam and it's not going to see the heat very well wink.gif.

But watching a blueray and all is well and I can't believe I fixed it by a heatgun and some new thermal paste, holly crap I just love the help from you guys that have figured out what sony could not get right for us after a few years of high powered use.

Also thoughs that are putting a tawl or rag over the PS3 to keep dust off it DON'T and DON'T place it on carpet and expect it to stay cool I mean put it on a book or 2 and set it on that because you are going to cause what we are fixing for the ones that do this wink.gif.....

Also on youtube they show this guy prying the top of the GPU and CPU off this is not the actual chip there are 5 chips under that and it is adhesived on to thos chips with thermal paste on top of that, I do NOT recammend tearing this off because there is a reason sony made that with thermal adhesive and it was not meant to come off unless you pull it off with the metal caseing that wraps that whole board then you must put fresh thermal paste on all 5 of them chips and make sure you put that heatsinnk back on the way it came off and then put thermal paste on top of that and put the metal guard back on that covers the board with the CPU and GPU mounts then do the heatgun as stated above.

I had to sign up for this just to make a comment for the help and the fix suggestions.

Edited by rocxylemmon, 21 December 2012 - 07:43 AM.

#22 nugmebot

nugmebot

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:36 PM

This is what fixed that stupid blinking red light problem for me http://howtofixstuff...d-light-on.html

#23 revengeismyfury

revengeismyfury

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Halo 3 Live, Anime, XBMC.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:37 PM

haha if that link really did fix it your only gonna be playing for another few hours lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users