PS3Scene

X-S Freak

• Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:10 PM

Rumor: Redesigned PS3 to be Revealed at E3
Posted by XanTium | 12-5-2009 15:10 EST

From playstationlifestyle.net:

Of course this is just yet another rumor, as there is no official confirmation. But we caught word that Sony is set to not only reveal the PSP Go at E3, but another hardware redesign will be debuted as well.

We didn't get any specifics, but we speculate that it could be one of a couple different options. First off, it very well could be as simple as a white or a silver PS3, to go with the white and silver Dualshock 3's that have been made available. This makes sense, as most people would want their controllers to match their consoles.

The other option, and the one we are leaning toward is a slimmed down, model. Maybe with some updated specs. Nothing major of course as to not alienate current PS3 owners, but there is an off chance they could add something small like bluetooth 3.0 support. When we caught wind of this, the exact word "redesign" was used, which leaves me to believe that it is indeed a PS3 slim. Announcing a different color wouldn't exactly warrant the term "redesign".

Full Story: playstationlifestyle.net

#2 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,465 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:13 PM

if it is a slim, and it comes with a lower price tag, MS better hope they have a slim model ready to announce as well.

-----------

thinking of all the ways they could trim down the PS3

my ultra way far out there prediction is that it has no disc drive just a really big HDD and gamers will be able to download 100% of their games from the PSN Store.

I don't think that would happen but they could probably produce such a device with the physical dimension of the Wii and sell it for ~$150 and potentially own this generation if people buy into the idea.

Edited by twistedsymphony, 12 May 2009 - 11:16 PM.

#3 Anth

Anth

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:50 PM

This can't all be a coincidence.

Sony have said for the record the 45nm Cell PS3's are coming out in the Summer.

These new 45nm Cells would allow for a slimmer console to be produced from the size it is now which was formed due to the original hot running 90nm CPUs.

An now this rumor comes out of a redesign. It all fits together really.

Can't wait to get my hands on one.

#4 MasterGouken

MasterGouken

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Interests:Hardware mods mainly and of course, gaming!
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:54 PM

Anyone seen this yet?:

http://translate.goo...e...cial&hs=vWI

the supposedly redesigned slim ps3 (with 120gb hdd)

#5 chronno

chronno

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Xbox, Xbox, XBox
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ May 12 2009, 10:05 PM) View Post

thinking of all the ways they could trim down the PS3

my ultra way far out there prediction is that it has no disc drive just a really big HDD and gamers will be able to download 100% of their games from the PSN Store.

I don't think that would happen but they could probably produce such a device with the physical dimension of the Wii and sell it for ~$150 and potentially own this generation if people buy into the idea.

pull the power supply out of the console and make it a brick like the PS2 slim. This will reduce space in the case and lower heating requirements (though not by much.)

The new, smaller chips should help them eliminate some main board white space, but, knowing how traces act at those speeds, not by much.

They already took out the PS2 compatibility from the cheaper ones they could do that to this one and eliminate those chips entirely (and possibly realize that the PS3 is suppose to be powerful enough to run the PS2 emulation threw software). They can also remove the built in card reader.

I can't see them pulling the disk drive out of the system since two of it's major selling points depend on the (much) larger capacity of the Blu-Ray disks. Can't play that new Blu-Ray movie without the drive and the games are, what, 45G? Even on my killer FiOS connection, that would take me two, three days. They could make it an external drive with a SATA3 connection but I don't think PS3 fans would like that.

#6 paveynick

paveynick

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:07 AM

More here -

http://kotaku.com/52...of-the-ps3-slim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users