• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:44 PM

WSJ 'Confirms' Xbox 360 Full Body Motion Sensing Controls
Posted by XanTium | May 12 17:44 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From wsj.com:

Microsoft Corp. is developing a new videocamera for its Xbox 360 videogame console that will allow players to control games with the movement of their bodies, according to people familiar with the matter.

Unlike the Wii, the Microsoft camera won't require users to hold any hardware in their hands to control in-game action, people familiar with the matter say.

The device could be shown as early as the E3 game industry conference in Los Angeles in early June, though it likely will not be released until next year, these people say.

Full Story: wsj.com

#2 0794

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Interests:medicine, engineering, Jeeps, technology, automobiles, and just about everything...
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:39 AM

this will be interesting to see how well this hardware is accepted by consumers.

i also wonder what game types this will work well for...

#3 Sic Of Life

Sic Of Life

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Interests:SlipKnot
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:56 AM

Next year? Hope it will be compatible with the Xbox 720, or else we will see some pretty pissed off customers. Seems pretty cool though, DDR for 360 anyone?

#4 sabbath_dude

sabbath_dude

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,288 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Rock music, Beer
  • Xbox Version:v1.6c

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:24 AM

Hopefully it'll be a lot better than the current Live vision cam and motion sensing games like Totemball. I have my doubts this new hardware will be any good or very popular. For me the less physical effort needed to play a video game the better tongue.gif .
QUOTE(Sic Of Life @ May 12 2009, 11:48 PM) View Post

Next year? Hope it will be compatible with the Xbox 720, or else we will see some pretty pissed off customers.
Even if the next Xbox was released next year (which is very unlikely), what would stop anyone continuing to play it on the console they originally bought it for? huh.gif .

#5 K1LLERHORNET

K1LLERHORNET

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:04 AM

QUOTE(sabbath_dude @ May 13 2009, 12:16 AM) View Post

Hopefully it'll be a lot better than the current Live vision cam and motion sensing games like Totemball. I have my doubts this new hardware will be any good or very popular. For me the less physical effort needed to play a video game the better tongue.gif .
Even if the next Xbox was released next year (which is very unlikely), what would stop anyone continuing to play it on the console they originally bought it for? huh.gif .

oh no, not Totemball - that game still gives me nightmares - if a time machine is ever built, someone should go back & stop that game from ever being made.

i doubt the XBOX 720 will be released next year (2010) - i would say it will be announced at E3 2010 & probably released mid 2011/early 2012.

i would probably stop playing on the XBOX 360 as soon as the next console is released - mainly coz at that point i'd just find the X360 far too dated - but thats just me.

smile.gif

#6 vb_encryption_vb

vb_encryption_vb

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:36 AM

QUOTE(K1LLERHORNET @ May 12 2009, 08:56 PM) View Post

oh no, not Totemball - that game still gives me nightmares - if a time machine is ever built, someone should go back & stop that game from ever being made.

i doubt the XBOX 720 will be released next year (2010) - i would say it will be announced at E3 2010 & probably released mid 2011/early 2012.

i would probably stop playing on the XBOX 360 as soon as the next console is released - mainly coz at that point i'd just find the X360 far too dated - but thats just me.

smile.gif

far to dated, lmao i still play nintendo...

#7 darkshadow2k8

darkshadow2k8

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:22 AM

nope i bet 720 wont be out till at least 2013 but who knows anyway hopefully we can see some good in this new hardware

#8 tbb033

tbb033

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:33 AM

Unlike the Wii, the Microsoft camera won't require users to hold any hardware in their hands to control in-game action, people familiar with the matter say.

I can't wait you no longer need a TV, or even electricity to play. You just close your eyes and your brain does the rest. Games still cost $60 a pop, though, but all you get is an empty case and some cover art, maybe a paragraph of plot to get your brain started.

#9 trentdadi

trentdadi

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:50 AM

At the worst, this new hardware comes out, becomes a flop, MS learns from their mistakes and perfects it for the next xbox.

I doubt I will ever use it, but at the same time I am excited to see what types of games they will bring out with it.

#10 bubbafett4hire

bubbafett4hire

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:04 AM

wow congrats M$ first you copy what the home brewers did with the Xbox 1 and adapted it to the 360 now you invented a motion response camera to combat the Wii. To bad Sony didn't think of that first , oh wait they did about 5 years ago called an eye-toy....anyone else smell a lawsuit forming

Edited by bubbafett4hire, 13 May 2009 - 07:05 AM.

#11 Rickets06

Rickets06

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:56 AM

Full body motion cool cool... i guess. Off topic statement: I would have thought there would have been a topic on crimson echoes getting a C&D from SE. Check it out at crimsonechoes.com, master. (HK reference)

#12 Fantmx

Fantmx

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE(bubbafett4hire @ May 13 2009, 05:56 AM) View Post

wow congrats M$ first you copy what the home brewers did with the Xbox 1 and adapted it to the 360 now you invented a motion response camera to combat the Wii. To bad Sony didn't think of that first , oh wait they did about 5 years ago called an eye-toy....anyone else smell a lawsuit forming
People wanted media center capability, so Microsoft added it. What's wrong with that? They are trying new things with this camera. That's not a bad thing.

#13 Exist2Resist

Exist2Resist

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:26 PM

When i read about this MS tech im reminded of the movie The Island, particularly the scene sponsored by xbox when they are playing the fighting game, the motion sensing fighting game.
Cant wait to virtually kick some ones ass.

#14 chronno

chronno

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Xbox, Xbox, XBox

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:29 PM

Hopefully this isn't like the Sega Activator.

The possibilities seem somewhat limited on what games this would work for, at least until we get holograms (imagine Moral Kombat like that). It'd be like the bubble game for the iToy or Totemball. Fun games to play in the store (for about 5 minutes) but I wouldn't take them home with me.

#15 brandogg

brandogg

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:06 PM

Isn't this what the Live Vision camera is supposed to do? And the Eye Toy before it? Are we going to have to put a white sheet over all of our furniture and stand directly in front of the camera? It seems like they're trying to go after the Wii, but going about it all wrong. It would make for a fun party with some simple games, but as far as actual gaming is concerned, this sounds completely retarded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users