• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Beezerk2001

Beezerk2001

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:57 AM

Having read up on various methods (heatgun, oven, overheat, and overheat with fan moved on the Llamma tutorial), which is thought to be the best?

I've got the parts I need to do the x clamp fix but I don't want to jump in until I'm 100% sure what I'm going to do.

Well? wink.gif

#2 reddwarf

reddwarf

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:58 AM

Personally I use a rework station, so for me it would be heat gun, then oven if i was going to choose one.

#3 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE(reddwarf @ May 15 2009, 01:50 AM) View Post

Personally I use a rework station, so for me it would be heat gun, then oven if i was going to choose one.

I can't agree more than that!

btw.... can you PM the model of the rework station you have, how much cost and from where did u buy it from? I am thinking seriously to invest into one of those. It is the ultimate fix smile.gif

#4 reddwarf

reddwarf

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:20 PM

Absolutely. I have the Hakko 850D, relatively cheap at $100 (ebay or amazon) and works well. You might want to check the nozzles you require. Works well and has allowed me to fix over 95% (around 150 units) of my issues. biggrin.gif

#5 R0st3r

R0st3r

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:14 AM

Heatgun would be best if you know exactly what you're doing.. ovenfix is the cheapest but i also think it is more time consuming. I also believe the ovenfix is the most consistent as the heat is always even distributed where with a heatgun it is hard to know when the board has been reflowed and if heat has been evenly distributed. I have personally never used the heatgun method so i may be a little biased. Did the ovenfix on another thought to be dead xbox today and brought it back to life. It red lighted with the X clamp fix and after the ovenfix and xclamp it booted first try. It was easy to see the board physically warped and the ovenfix still worked flawlessly.. although many people will tell you the ovenfix is a last resort... which i agree with but it has worked everytime for me!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users