#1 jorwex

jorwex

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:49 PM

Hey everyone,

This is my first foray into xbox 360s. I received two from a friend. One was fixed by putting a new drive belt & cleaning the lens. This 2nd box was a bit trickier. It's a TS MS28 drive. He told me that he let someone borrow the box, and when he got it back, two discs were in the tray sad.gif

So I'd assume it's something mechanical. I've taken some videos of it. i removed the magnet from the drive cover to show how the laser is behaving, and made a blue sharpie mark on it to see how the spindle is moving.

360 Original (that's a door shutting in the background..sorry about the extra noise)

Audio CD

No Disc

No Disc w/ Magnet

I've stopped each video once the dashboard gives up and says "Open Tray." The noises it makes were reproduced pretty accurately in the vids.

Notice how the laser moves back and forth really quickly, and is accompanied by a grinding sort of noise. It seems to be coming from the motor that spins the disc, but i'm not too sure. if you manually slide the laser assembly out towards the edge of the disc and eject/insert the disc, it'll turn the laser on, and move toward the center again, so it's doing something right. However, the fact that it spins around for a split second and then gives up (see last two vids) makes me think it's a logic related thing.

just for kicks I swapped the now working other xbox's MS25 drive out (switching the boards of course) and it works fine.

I'm a little reluctant to switch out the disc motor, but i may try that next depending on what you guys say.

just wanna know if anyone's seen this type of behavior before.

Thanks!

jorwex

#2 grantie

grantie

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:34 AM

Take the tray out and check the open close sensor is working test with a multi meter might just be that sensor is dirty or dislogged. I would try that before messing about with the motor. THe only thing you can try do is help the motor spin aka jump start it that will help the cd pick up if its a bad motor. Also its possible the laser got scratched with two discs in at once new drives are cheap enough to replace these day on flea bay anyway.

Edited by grantie, 18 May 2009 - 02:36 AM.

#3 kaneda_77

kaneda_77

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.1 (opus)

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:10 AM

correct me if i am wrong.
xbox A - working fine
xbox B- laser problem
but you said you switched the PCBs on the drives. The physical drive that was giving you problems in xbox B worked in the xbox A and vice versa? or did you try it one way?

if you didn't test the other one, try that and assuming you get the same issue, switch out the motor/check the contacts.

#4 jorwex

jorwex

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:25 AM

i took Xbox A's now-working drive and swapped out the pcb for Xbox-B's so I could test it in xbox B.

I tested the tray sensor's contacts and all was well.

Is there anything else to try before potentially messing up the good drive by swapping out the motors?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users