11 replies to this topic

#1 bbkmods

bbkmods

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 03:09 PM

I need some help please. Maybe someone can provide me a source for the MOSFETS I may need. My board is a Falcon. Whats written on the MOSFETS is:

13NHG

This is to try G0t M4xx 21's Idea out.

The replacement of the two MOSFETs at locations Q6F1 AND Q6F2 to resolve a blown 5v supply.

Hopefully this solves my symptoms.

Symptoms of failure:

-Xbox 360 turns on, and flashes 3 red lights IMMEDIATELY (not after a few seconds like on some other failures, such as the dreaded 0102). No picture on the screen.

-Fans do not spin, and PSU may show red or orange light.

-After it shows the 3 red lights, secondary error code will be 0001 or 0002.

-Nothing connected to 12V or 5V works (no measurable voltage on the line).

-Resistance from 12V to 5V is very low (around 1 ohm).

#2 bbkmods

bbkmods

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:23 PM

NEW DISCOVERY!! Checking the resistance of MOSFET Q3f1 by connecting my probes on the "fat" leg to either the left or right leg yeilds the same results. No resistance. I have heard that this is not the proper way to check a MOSFET, but can this be a way to give the MOSFET a "GO or NO GO" status?

Checking all the other MOSFETS on the board, I got some kind of reading.

#3 SphtKr76

SphtKr76

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:33 AM

Unfortunately you need to remove the MOSFET from the board to test it properly. Check this....

http://xbox-experts....c.php?f=8&t=538

#4 bbkmods

bbkmods

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for trying to help me out. Theres another guy watching this post for info on how he can get his box going also.

I understand that the MOSFET should\must be removed in order to test it properly, but properly isn't what I really need right now. I just want a starting point on where to start looking for problems.

The MOSFET that I originally and lastly had my hands is the on the bottom right of the picture, Q2G1. I think this would be the ideal point to start looking of course.

I had read a post by Got m4xx 21 that If you check the resistance of a MOSFET, touch one probe to the fat leg and the other probe to the right leg (the two mosfet legs pointing towards you) then you should get a measurement that would gradually climb.

I do get that gradual climb in resistance with 10 of the 19 mosfets on my board. 8 other mosfets have various readings, but do have a reading. The Q3F1 mosfet has no reading at all from either leg and just so happens to be right next to the one I had touched\messed with in the first place. Q3F1 is the only mofet that doen't have a reading whatsoever.

IPB Image

On the link that you, SphtKr76, sent me to, which is a great link by the way, it was written "Usually when a mosfet short circuits, it shoots the voltage back through the gate into the circuitry, possibly frying other components in the area, including any other mosfets that might be connected in parallel with the one that blew"

Edited by bbkmods, 25 May 2009 - 02:28 PM.

#5 bbkmods

bbkmods

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:44 PM

I think I have located the MOSFET I will be needing. Like I said before the numbers that are written on the mosfet are:

13nh

I believe the mosfet I need is NTD4813NHT4G

There are three versions or similar items to NTD4813NHT4G. The version I need I think is DPAK 4 LEAD Single Gauge Surface Mount.

The picture on the data sheet looks the same as the one in my xbox.

Reading the data sheet, it says that the first number "741" is the date. The other numbers are the important ones.

#6 bbkmods

bbkmods

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:46 PM

Never mind about where to buy the mosfets. I have found some and purchase 10 of the NTD4813NHT4G.

#7 bbkmods

bbkmods

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:07 AM

I solved the problem. It was MOSFET Q3F1 as I suspected. I first replaced the mosfet at closest to the cpu as suggested byG0t M4xx 21 in THIS POST

After removing the mosfet I tested it as suggested in THIS POST

I wasn't sure if the heat from my Wagner heat gun had ruined the mosfet or any other items around it, but I tested it and it tested good.

I should of went with my instincts and started with the mosfet I suspected in the first place, Q3F1. I replaced it, plugged it in, and what do you know, IT WORKED!

So if you have these symptoms: It could be the Q3F1 mosfet NTD4813NHT4G. I have 8 left if someone needs one.

Symptoms of failure:

-Xbox 360 turns on, and flashes 3 red lights IMMEDIATELY (not after a few seconds like on some other failures, such as the dreaded 0102). No picture on the screen.

-Fans do not spin, and PSU shows red light.

#8 thesonandheir

thesonandheir

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE(bbkmods @ Jun 6 2009, 06:07 AM) View Post

I solved the problem. It was MOSFET Q3F1 as I suspected. I first replaced the mosfet at closest to the cpu as suggested byG0t M4xx 21 in THIS POST

I wasn't sure if the heat from my Wagner heat gun had ruined the mosfet or any other items around it, but I tested it and it tested good.

I should of went with my instincts and started with the mosfet I suspected in the first place, Q3F1. I replaced it, plugged it in, and what do you know, IT WORKED!
So if you have these symptoms: It could be the Q3F1 mosfet NTD4813NHT4G. I have 8 left if someone needs one.

Symptoms of failure:

Well done, sure this will help some people out.

#9 buttface96

buttface96

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:35 AM

hmmm interesting. I chucked 2 falcons the other day that were giving me 0002, but the fans would spin for about half a second before rrod'ing.

maybe ill dig em out of the trash and play with em

#10 adrenaline_X

adrenaline_X

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE(bbkmods @ Jun 6 2009, 12:07 AM) View Post

Symptoms of failure:

Hmm I just picked a falcon with the same problem.. Nothing but the firmware has been touched and it has the normal ms x-clamps.

How did you test for resistance?
I'm thinking of doing this myself to see if this is the issue.

0001 - no fans etc etc.

#11 adrenaline_X

adrenaline_X

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:15 AM

I did some testing with the power connected but the xbox turned off and i only get the 5v standby under side of the connector ( to psu)

no 12 volt s anywhere but i assume you only get the 12 volts when the xbox actually turns on.

used this a reference for voltage feeds

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=613160

#12 ozzy_paul

ozzy_paul

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE(bbkmods @ Jun 6 2009, 03:07 PM) View Post

I have 8 left if someone needs one.

I`m interested in 4 if you still have them. I`m in Victoria, Australia 3195.

Pm me matey.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users