R0st3r

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:05 AM

I feel like I've done everything... I am of course using the ovenfix as a last resort but I think if I can just get a good connection on the heatsink to the GPU I could get it my 3 red ring xbox 360 to boot.

I've tightend the screws very tight using a screw and one nylon washer on the top side of the mobo and even used just the 4 screws with no washers on the GPU heatsink.. I tighten them and still cannot seem to get a good connection to the GPU chips. See picture:

IPB Image

Question: See how the arctric silver is not a solid square on the bottom of the GPU heatsink? How can I achieve a better connection there?

Edited by R0st3r, 02 June 2009 - 08:09 AM.

#2 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE(R0st3r @ Jun 2 2009, 10:05 AM) View Post

Question: See how the arctric silver is not a solid square on the bottom of the GPU heatsink? How can I achieve a better connection there?

One way is to put a thermal (or maybe similar) under the board to push it up. It must be positioned just under the GPU center point. It will help to stop your mainboard bending.

#3 R0st3r

R0st3r

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:02 PM

So you're saying I need to reattach the heatsinks with screws and washers and put a thermal compound pad on the bottom of the GPU and put it back into the 360 case and screw in the motherboard to the case?

Would the ovenfix fix this flexing problem??

#4 norite

norite

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:16 PM

You need to add some shims to the edges of the gpu and cpu chips; this will give better and more even support across the chips when the heatsinks are screwed down onto them - have a look at the Team HYBRID x-clamp fix. Shouldn't need to put the whole mobo in the oven tho, a heatgun appplied to the gpu (both sides) is quite effective.

#5 R0st3r

R0st3r

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 03:50 AM

I did a modified version of that fix.. still couldn't get a good connection until i did the ovenfix. Now i have a good connetion but still getting an RRoD... I don't know what to do now..

#6 R0st3r

R0st3r

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:08 AM

Figured it out! Was tightening screws too tight it works great now thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users