PS3Scene

X-S Freak

• Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:13 PM

E3: PS3 motion control confirmed, Video
Posted by XanTium | 3-6-2009 16:13 EST

From

Sony has joined Microsoft in launching its own motion-sensing controller at E3 - a wand-like device for PS3 which will hit stores in spring 2010.

The prototype of the unnamed device was demo'd live on-stage by its creators. The stick-like pad - which has a 'magic ball' on the end that allows the PS Eye to triangulate its position - is held in the gamer's palm.

SCEA boss Jack Tretton called it: "Technology that's much closer to real life than anything you've ever seen."

#2 AngelBallz69

AngelBallz69

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:01 AM

this new ps gadget really sucks, presintation really sucks, the xbox natal really won this one , the graphics stink on there demo and he cant even hit a simple ball, on the xbox natal the demo lady is able to hit the object with no issue and nothing in her hand, so sad so sony , with a very embarrasing presintation,

#3 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:25 AM

QUOTE(AngelBallz69 @ Jun 4 2009, 02:01 AM) View Post

this new ps gadget really sucks, presintation really sucks, the xbox natal really won this one , the graphics stink on there demo and he cant even hit a simple ball, on the xbox natal the demo lady is able to hit the object with no issue and nothing in her hand, so sad so sony , with a very embarrasing presintation,

You base that on what? How have MS won, if anything I would say MS copied Sony and interpreted it in there own way. Just MS beat them to the announcement. I'd rather use Sony's one cuz at least you get to hold something and don't look like a spaz on the 360 one when moving around in the game.

#4 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:32 AM

I dont see how its the FIRST 1:1 motion sensor in the gaming world. have they not heard of the wii motion plus?

#5 openxdkman

openxdkman

X-S Genius

• PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 04 June 2009 - 01:40 PM

Keeping at least one trigger on a physical controller is good because in some circumstances you want to activate a trigger (a precise action) without really showing a different move of your body to the camera.

So MS controller-less solution seems brighter, but won't allow some type of games.

Also, controller-less stuff is pure software calculation, since MS console code can be disassembled at will (all security known and understood) expect to see controller-less stuff copied by both sony and nintendo and homebrewer as well...

In fact I'm sure, for FPS, that MS will create some small controller with a trigger on it, for games that can't work without any controller.

At the end all technics will be a bit the same among console manufacturers, all running around a camera.
(Ubisoft already announcing a camera for the wii)
Sometimes with a minimal controller, sometimes without, depending on game type.

1:1 (or almost) can work with a camera and a controller. The center of colored ball of sony controller gives direction from camera and its size gives distance. Can be pretty precise I think. PS Eye camera can capture 640x480 so ball size measurement can be precise (especially if ball is big enough).

Controller-less stuff can detect motion but may be hard to locate stuff precisely in 3D space. Wii motion plus will be correct I guess but will be relative location displacement detection instead of absolute location detection thru camera.

Edited by openxdkman, 04 June 2009 - 01:47 PM.

#6 HotKnife420

HotKnife420

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:54 PM

The way I see it, is that NATAL would be something that a new game would have to have in mind when developing, wheras this is something that could be implemented into existing games.

#7 openxdkman

openxdkman

X-S Genius

• PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 07:56 AM

It seems there are two cameras in MS sensor bar.
So competitors will have to double the number of camera to catch up with 3D localization with the same kind of software used by MS.

Maybe 1 depth camera = 2 normal cameras

Here is what Hitachi has done :

But it may be actually not just 2 normal cameras. Maybe they light up you with an infrared weak emission and read it back. But definitely something all 3 competitors can achieve... And I think all the patents already belong to non gaming companies.

Edited by openxdkman, 06 June 2009 - 08:04 AM.

#8 openxdkman

openxdkman

X-S Genius

• PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:39 AM

Ok, back to topic (PS eye used for locating an object in 3D space) :

This video shows you how to do the same with any object, on your PC, with any webcam (size, color of object, matters but there is a 'recording phase' allowing pc software to 'remember' any shape)

Edited by openxdkman, 06 June 2009 - 08:44 AM.

#9 Kamasutra318

Kamasutra318

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:As a Computer Engineer, I try to learn as much as I can about electronics and software. Also games.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:01 PM

Ball on a Stick looked very interesting, but ultimately it will be up to the games to convince people whether this is a worthwhile accessory. Natal came across as a more ambitious technology, but I would rather use Ball on a Stick for my gaming. I guess I'll use Natal if I ever feel like befriending a 12 year old boy. I hope someone far more creative than myself can think of something interesting to do with Natal, but until then I'll prefer the BoaS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users