12 replies to this topic

#1 STKD

STKD

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:01 PM

Fairly simple problem. My 360 will not show the NXE menu if I plug the dvd power cable into the drive. Oddly the cable appears to be supplying power just fine (as I can eject/close the drive using the front switch), but if I turn the 360 on with it plugged in, I just get the center light on theLED and nothing ever appears onscreen. If I turn the 360 on and then plug the drive power in, it instantly loses video and the NXE disappears, then again the same light comes on.

I've also tried plugging the drive into a PC sata connection (previously used for backing up the drive firmware/keys) with the same power, and it doesn't seem to show in the BIOS now. This all happened while trying to unlock the drive with JungleFlasher (I basically clicked unlock a few times and one time it just stopped showing up..)
Anyone had this? I could really use some advice on it.

Edited by STKD, 09 June 2009 - 05:02 PM.

#2 reddwarf

reddwarf

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:16 PM

You have a problem with the drive flash, try to flash with the original firmware and see if drive behavior goes normal.

#3 STKD

STKD

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE(reddwarf @ Jun 9 2009, 05:16 PM) View Post

You have a problem with the drive flash, try to flash with the original firmware and see if drive behavior goes normal.

On further trying, the DVD drive now does stay powered on with the 360 just fine. However trying to read a disk only flashes up "reading" for a second then goes back to displaying "Open Tray". The only flashing the DVD drive has ever had was with a working backup of the original firmware and key, and I tested this was fine after by playing a few games. The problem is now that it will not show up under the PC POST/BIOS screens or be detected under Windows... so I cannot flash it as far as I'm aware. I really wonder if the drive itself could be damaged (perhaps the sata port itself?), or could this be flash-related too?

#4 reddwarf

reddwarf

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:17 PM

Could be both or either. If you can't get it recognized at all then you are SOL. Theres only one other way, remove the firmware chip or replace the pcb.

#5 STKD

STKD

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE(reddwarf @ Jun 9 2009, 08:17 PM) View Post

Could be both or either. If you can't get it recognized at all then you are SOL. Theres only one other way, remove the firmware chip or replace the pcb.

Assuming I can't get the drive recognised after some last attempts, would my best option then be to buy a replacement Benq drive and flash that with my copy of the firmware/key from this one..?

#6 STKD

STKD

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:12 PM

Just wanted to add a thanks for the idea of trying to replace the PCB itself. Ordered a replacement one from ebay, seems to make sense that it is either the sata or firmware chips damaged and the soldering doesn't look too tricky for replacing the PCB.

One thing I'm unclear on is once I have replaced the PCB, do I need to flash the firmware on it with the firmware/key from my original Benq so the new PCB/firmware chip will work with my 360?

#7 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:30 AM

absolutely! you have to inject the original key to the new pcb, to pair it with your mainboard's key.

#8 STKD

STKD

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:09 PM

So just to confirm I have this down perfectly, all I would need to do is take the backup firmware .bin I have from the original, and flash it to the new PCB via DOSflash32, or is there some other step needed..?

Edited by STKD, 10 June 2009 - 01:17 PM.

#9 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:22 PM

If it is the same PCB, nope, that's it.. just flash it! But first make backup of the new PCB's firmware.... just in case

Edited by MadMaxGR, 10 June 2009 - 02:23 PM.

#10 STKD

STKD

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:33 PM

Naturally. It was thanks to my slight paranoia that the one time I got my original drive read by the PC the first thing I did was back up everything... otherwise I'd be fairly screwed right now! wink.gif
I bought the same BenQ type PCB on ebay for about 10, hopefully I should have it by tomorrow and be able to get it soldered up.

#11 reddwarf

reddwarf

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE(STKD @ Jun 10 2009, 02:33 PM) View Post

Naturally. It was thanks to my slight paranoia that the one time I got my original drive read by the PC the first thing I did was back up everything... otherwise I'd be fairly screwed right now! wink.gif
I bought the same BenQ type PCB on ebay for about 10, hopefully I should have it by tomorrow and be able to get it soldered up.

Great let us know how it goes. Remember flash the firmware from the original PCB

#12 STKD

STKD

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:11 PM

And the results are in...
New PCB, fine.
New firmware - backed up.
Old firmware - written to drive.
Drive with new PCB... *drumroll*...
WORKING! smile.gif
Thanks for the advice guys - fixed the problem *and* saved me most of the cash I would've spent on a new drive. Good to see xbox-scene is still a great site for helpful technical advice all these years on!

#13 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:39 AM

And we are glad to offer our knowledge too. Great job! I wish you good gaming weekend smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users