5 replies to this topic

#1 dcc0011

dcc0011

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:25 AM

I am interested in why a site that provides info for an outdated console, like the xbox 1, has such strict rules about the mention of piracy. I have been a member since 2007 and have been visiting this site since 2004. Back then I could see a need for these rules because the system was still supported and video rental places still rented games. People also made a living off of making these games. I could see how such chat could get this site shut down. Is that still the case here in the xbox 1 forum? I'm not trying to make waves here, that is not my intention, I'm just searching for a little enlightenment here. Is it illegal for me to download a game that I already own? If not, then why couldn't someone tell me how to do that and still be following the proper educate for dealing with this sort of business? I live in the U.S. and If I walk into a Smoke Shop and ask for a bong I get kicked out. If I say, "I bet that water pipe gives you one hell of a blast" I'm O.K. That is a Hypocrisy even to adhere to such rules in my opinion. This site will tell you so much info on how to do this or that but don't say piracy. I would just like to know the reasons behind that. I'm not talking about the 360 or anything that is still selling. As I said, I understand people make a living designing this stuff so filter out a little bit of piracy by making them read to get it. So only smart guys can do it and leave the rest of the public in the dark. But this is the XBOX 1 forum! This site is dedicated to doing things that Microsoft doesn't want us to do. MODS, please don't close this post. I know a lot of other people are wondering the same thing. Enlighten us will you?

#2 austout

austout

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:01 AM

Ditto, I agree completely.
This site is filled with constipated old farts that have nothing better to do than to monitor and ban people all day.
If you want to ask questions without being censored I suggest you ask the good guys at XS Filter -
They know how to assist you and they are not harsh like the people here. Also, they are very patient and understanding towards newcomers and anyone who is new to modding. They take the time to logicaly troubleshoot your situation.

xs filter- x
censorship box
I thought this was United America hq
nOT COmunist China.com

A little advice dude look for other forums
there are way better ones out on the net

#3 commandersafi

commandersafi

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:25 AM

The reason the discussion of piracy is prohibited is because piracy is ILLEGAL. End of story...there isn't much more to it than that.
X-S has been around since the beginning of the xbox modding scene and is by far the best place for any modding info. You probably dont realize how much work these guys have to do to keep this site up. If you dont like it then you are more than welcome to go to another forum.
And this site isn't dedicated to doing what M$ doesn't want to do. Modding for the sake of fun or functionality is not the same as stealing products (piracy). No matter how old the product.
You claim to know what this site is dedicated towards doing, but that doesn't show when you say we should filter out certain things and only the smart can know how to mod. This site has been and always will be dedicated towards helping others. Not restricting people due to their lack of know-how.

#4 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:26 AM

This site is filled with constipated old farts that have nothing better to do than to monitor and ban people all day.

Yes, and I am one of them.

So where do you want to draw the line? Talking about illegal copiing games for the xbox 1 is ok and for the 360 isn't.
You really think the people who would like to close this forum for legal reasons give a sh*t about what console they are talking about?

People still make money with xbox1 games. Just go to the xbox1 game section on ebay and you will see.

If Microsoft didn't care anymore about the xbox 1. Wouldn't they release the xdk for it for free?
And why don't they release the private key that is needed to sign homebrew xbox executables so that they also run on an unmodded xbox?

Pretty much every aspect of xbox 1 modding is covered already in this Forum. Pretty much 80% of the questions already have their response somewhere written down. It's a lot easier to simply ask the question again instead of taking a bit of time to search the forum. But have you ever seen a person being flamed for asking a question on this forum? No, the same constipated old farts will go trough the effort of giving the same solution again and again.

I do agree with the previous article. If you don't like this Forum, feel free to switch to another one. As you say yourself, this isn't Communist China. Some people are so noob that they don't understand this. That's what the bans are for. biggrin.gif

And why do dogs like to eat game cd's so that they become unusable? Can someone on this forum answer this question for me? I don't think the question was asked already. (Who cares anyhow.)

regards.

#5 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:29 AM

QUOTE(dcc0011 @ Jun 11 2009, 11:25 AM) View Post
Is that still the case here in the xbox 1 forum?

Technically speaking, so long as the copyright holds out on X-Box games (I think there's something like fifty years still to go, given that the final game was released last year - could be more then that for all I know), it'll be illegal to "condone" piracy of such titles here.

QUOTE(dcc0011 @ Jun 11 2009, 11:25 AM) View Post
Is it illegal for me to download a game that I already own? If not, then why couldn't someone tell me how to do that and still be following the proper educate for dealing with this sort of business?

This depends on where you live in the world - I gather that in America, yes, it is actually illegal for you to download content without the license holder's permission, even if it is for the purpose of a "backup".

In the case of X-Boxes (and many modern consoles, as it happens), owning a valid copy of the game and console is all the "special equipment" you require to create backups of your own. Given this, and given that the process of pirating games over the internet is exactly the same as the process of "backing up" games over the internet, you can see why such discussion is not allowed. There's no "need" for it.

QUOTE(austout @ Jun 11 2009, 12:01 PM) View Post
I thought this was United America hq
nOT COmunist China.com

You would be mistaken. X-S is not a democracy. smile.gif

#6 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:19 AM

Strange how the ones that moan are both pirates and have linked warns to confirm this.
Oh how the children cry when they can't have something for free.
Something incidentally which I pay for.
Take into account that some people Mod there stuff just for the sake of doing it and just for the satisfaction of doing it. I am one of those old farts that is more interested in the technological side of doing stuff and not the fact that I can steal shitloads of free games play them for 10 minutes then scurry back to my PC to download the next one.
Fact is if you pay for a game you are more likely to play it to conclusion and enjoy it. If you don't pay where is the incentive to get the most from your game.
Pirates who don't like this and who suggest to use other sites.... I have this question. Why are you here moaning and not on your fantastic other sites with so much "information"?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users