12 replies to this topic

#1 SuperHumanly

SuperHumanly

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:07 AM

Is it possible to set up a system similar to a, say, 25-disk CD changer on a 360? So you could hit a button(possibly wired onto the 360 controller?) and it would swap the disk currently in the 360 with another one?

#2 LootinGraves

LootinGraves

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:30 AM

QUOTE(SuperHumanly @ Jun 13 2009, 03:07 PM) View Post

Is it possible to set up a system similar to a, say, 25-disk CD changer on a 360? So you could hit a button(possibly wired onto the 360 controller?) and it would swap the disk currently in the 360 with another one?

Even if you could why would you want to? Just rip all the discs to either the HDD or your pc and play/stream them lol

#3 SuperHumanly

SuperHumanly

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:36 AM

I was referring to using this for the main xbox drive, to create a 25 or more xbox 360 game changer, you hit(or hold) a certain button on the controller, and it rotates to another game for you to play.

#4 killer skittle

killer skittle

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE(LootinGraves @ Jun 13 2009, 06:30 AM) View Post

Even if you could why would you want to? Just rip all the discs to either the HDD or your pc and play/stream them lol

A. you have to have the game in the dvd drive to play it from the HDD
B. you cant stream games from the pc

ANYWAY...onto the disc changer idea:
if you are serious about this project...it will be a big one! something like this 400 disc changer would be BADASS!
http://upload.ecvv.c...CDG_KARAOKE.jpg
then you could just replace the cd drive in there with the 360 one?! and probably fit the motherboard in there aswell!

MODEDIT: image was huge

Edited by lostboyz, 15 June 2009 - 10:13 PM.

#5 LootinGraves

LootinGraves

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 14 June 2009 - 01:18 PM

You didn't say game changer in your first post you said "25-disk CD changer", which implied that you meant music huh.gif

#6 rapidfire chips

rapidfire chips

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 14 June 2009 - 01:51 PM

Yeah this is a very unique idea I was thinking of doing this before. I mean how many times did we have to get up to switch halo 3 to call of duty.

Edited by rapidfire chips, 14 June 2009 - 01:51 PM.

#7 SuperHumanly

SuperHumanly

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:36 AM

I'm going to get a RROD'd xbox 360 to fix up and also buy a 25 or 50 disk cd changer and attempt to do this....I mean, it really only needs the lens/pcb to be placed into the item with a multi-disk changer, right? I mean i'll have to obviously get the motherboard in there as well, but the multi-disk part is just that much of it.

My plan thus far:

Purchase a RROD console and fix it
Purchase a device that has a multi-disk changer in it
Remove the 360 motherboard and the board for the PCB
Somehow connect the PCB/Lens from the 360 in the spot where the old lens/pcb is from the changer
Place the new setup into a SFF PC case with LED and upgraded fans
Wire up a switch placed similar to the rapid-fire controller mods, with a delay switch that somehow makes you have to hold the button down before it rotates(to stop accidental clicks)
Get the drive to stop spinning the disk before it switches

This will be a difficult task, but i'm determined to get it done, does anyone wanna help me out with this whole process?

Edited by SuperHumanly, 15 June 2009 - 09:37 AM.

#8 lostboyz

lostboyz

Mr. Knowitall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:16 PM

I think it would be best if you actually had a disk changer and looked at how it actually worked. If it is similar enough to a normal disc drive and all you needed was to put the 360 drive board and laser in it, it might work. It is a long stretch and frankly not worth it. How many games do you often switch between? I used to have a multi disc changer for music and I would usually have to get up to see what discs were where anyway.

#9 Beezy

Beezy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:29 AM

wtf... The xbox 360 dvd drive pcb board doesn't have a command to change disks...
You would need to keep the original cd changer pcb on and have some way to add the xbox 360 pcb board to teh drive.
I would do alot of researching before attempting this. Also make sure you make a back up your your drive key because i am 100% certain you will brick your drive..

#10 Mr.RedRing

Mr.RedRing

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:44 PM

If anyone knows how this would work, it would be RDC. In theory it could probably work...but I don't think it would be worth it...

#11 jmusicdigidesign

jmusicdigidesign

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 25 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:07 PM

i dont believe that the disk drive has anything to do with the command for a cd changer to change the disc... most likely you could just slap the internals of the 360 drive into the changer then run the cable from the changer to the 360 system and you should be set....

now as far as the changing the discs i would assume that using the standard remote that comes with the changer would be satisfactory but then again the added button on the controller makes one less remote...

as far as finding out which disc is where inside the changer most changers come equiped with an lcd display that you can flip through the names that you have set to each slot therefore you would be able to cycle through them in alphabetical order then choose which one for it to change too..

personally if i were to go through this kind of hassle i would add more functions to the controller... like for say the ability to hold the tact button and while holding it press left or right with the d-pad to switch through to the game that you want to play.. setup the A button while holding the tact switch down to "accept".. while holding the tact press the guide button to power off the disc changer.

but yea im sure RDC would be able to help with this task!

#12 sprocketme2

sprocketme2

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:49 AM

This is a neat idea. I think if you are delicate enough with the 360 dvd drive's pcb and lens structure, you should be able to simply replace the compents from a multiple cd changer. Once you get all the components physically placed, then start running your esata and making a pinout of the 360 dvd drives pcb so you can wire it up to the enclosure correctly. Best of luck, I wanna see this finished

#13 ricky54326

ricky54326

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 05:43 AM

QUOTE(SuperHumanly @ Jun 15 2009, 03:36 AM) View Post

Sad to say, Xbox-Scene....but i've been "suspended / banned" from X-S for 3 years for piracy discussion, so I won't be updating this thread with any sort of WIP....but I WILL continue on with this project!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users