Photo

Will A Soft Modded Xbox Allow You To Delete Critical Files?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 17daysolderthannes

17daysolderthannes

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:11 AM

I kind of haphazardly put shit on my soft modded original XBOX (Krayzie's NDure Installer 1.1 with Unleash X) and now I want to delete it all and start fresh. The only problem is, I'm kind of nervous that I will delete something critical and brick the thing.

Therefore, I have 2 questions:

#1 is it even possible to delete critical files for running the XBOX or are they locked for that very reason (to keep you from ruining your system)

#2 Is there anyway to revert my XBOX to "fresh" like re-installing Unleash with Krayzie's or something?

With a PSP, you can almost always just throw in a magic memory stick and a pandora battery and revert all your settings, etc. back, does it work the same way with a soft-modded XBOX?

#2 1hotjob

1hotjob

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:53 PM

You can use CASH Ver 1.1 or Frosty's Rescue Disk to restore the Xbox to original.

If you just want to delete programs and other content, you can do that too. You can format the F drive and it will delete everything on there so you can start fresh with it. Then you don't have to redo the mod.

#3 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:48 AM

QUOTE(1hotjob @ Jun 21 2009, 04:53 AM) View Post

You can use CASH Ver 1.1 or Frosty's Rescue Disk to restore the Xbox to original.

Make that a "and" instead of "or". Frosty does not come with msdash files by itself.

#4 1hotjob

1hotjob

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderator
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:39 PM

Thanks. I have Frosty's D/L but I haven't burned it to a CD yet to check it out. I need to do that to see what features it does have.

#5 XBOXCUSTOMS69

XBOXCUSTOMS69

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:XBOX, PS3, PSP, PS2

Posted 21 June 2009 - 10:17 PM

To answer your question, yes it will let you delete critical files so be careful. Every softmod i have done ended up coming back to me because someone decided they needed more space and stupidly went around deleting EVERYTHING. I have never heard of those 2 disks you guys are referring to, but i may need to check into them, they sound handy.

#6 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:09 PM

If you use a new softmod with shadow C protection it's really hard to mess up a softmod completely.

And if you can wait a couple of days I'll be releasing a new repair disc that combines Frosty's PBL boot with CASH's ability to update broken / partial / old softmods to shiny new ones, plus a whole load more besides. I just need to finish testing, and find somewhere to host it.

#7 1hotjob

1hotjob

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderator
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:08 AM

Can't wait for that release. I have seldom had the need to use CASH, but it has come in handy. Please make sure you incorporate the options in Ver 1.1 to leave the F drive alone when updating the Xbox. The first time I used it I was unaware it would delete everything from the F drive. That was fixed in 1.1. I spent the better part of the night re-ripping games. sad.gif

#8 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:40 AM

It leaves F alone completely, and only makes changes to E that are essential to its operation, so apart from 007, MA and SC you don't lose your gamesaves either. smile.gif

#9 XBOXCUSTOMS69

XBOXCUSTOMS69

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:XBOX, PS3, PSP, PS2

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:10 PM

Could you perhaps host it at xbins? Tons of people are there on a normal basis i would think, should get some use there. I would sure use it, sounds handy. Its good to hear there are still people working on the xbox after all this time. I kinda left the scene for a while and just did it on my own, my last project was creating a gentoo server out of an xbox. Cromwell bios, 2 hard drives, the whole 9 yards, it was a definite learning experience.

#10 17daysolderthannes

17daysolderthannes

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE(XBOXCUSTOMS69 @ Jun 21 2009, 04:17 PM) View Post

To answer your question, yes it will let you delete critical files so be careful. Every softmod i have done ended up coming back to me because someone decided they needed more space and stupidly went around deleting EVERYTHING. I have never heard of those 2 disks you guys are referring to, but i may need to check into them, they sound handy.

see, thats the difference between me and most people: I measure twice (or three times) and cut once, not eyeball it, hack it off with a chainsaw, then hope all is well when the dust settles. Then again, that must be why I'm an engineer (mechanical, don't ask me programming questions, I don't know) torch.gif

#11 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE(1hotjob @ Jun 22 2009, 12:08 PM) View Post

Can't wait for that release.

I second that. biggrin.gif

#12 17daysolderthannes

17daysolderthannes

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:58 AM

well how about this: can I "hide" or "lock" the critical partitions that I shouldn't touch so I don't accidentally or someone else unknowingly delete something important? The real reason I'm worried is because I expect at some point some hot shot will think he knows what he's doing and get on my XBOX and do something stupid and brick it. Granted, they are getting to be worth less than a magazine subscription, but it can be alot of work to get them how you want it (huge PITA right now to shorten ROM titles so they'll transfer, they won't transfer if they are over a certain length).

#13 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:05 AM

can I "hide" or "lock" the critical partitions that I shouldn't touch so I don't accidentally or someone else unknowingly delete something important?
The critical files are all on the C partition, and Krayzie 1.1.1 and Kingroach 3.1 both provide shadowc, so that by the time the dashboard loads the real C is hidden, and you have to take positive action to bypass it.

However, you can't do that for applications and ROMS etc. Just take a backup of E/F/G once you get it set up the way you want.

#14 ascentuk

ascentuk

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Jun 21 2009, 11:09 PM) View Post

If you use a new softmod with shadow C protection it's really hard to mess up a softmod completely.

And if you can wait a couple of days I'll be releasing a new repair disc that combines Frosty's PBL boot with CASH's ability to update broken / partial / old softmods to shiny new ones, plus a whole load more besides. I just need to finish testing, and find somewhere to host it.

hi how did things go with this disk , and if you need some hosting im happy to help

i have 200gb of webspace and 3tb of transfer per month if that helps smile.gif

#15 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:02 PM

Been thoroughly tested, I now have to find time to fix a few problems that were identified. smile.gif

Thanks for the hosting offer. I made the beta available via torrent, and that seemed to work fine. A direct download might be quicker, but I'm a bit nervous of the legality (and the rules here!). However, once it's available, rehosting it might be a perfectly sensible option...... so long as no-one links to it directly.

However, problem fixing is temporarily on hold while I sort out my tax return...... grr.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users