• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 trel

trel

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:51 AM

A year or so ago I installed UnleashX using the softmod method that requires the live cable switch. I don't really remember what I did, but it was strictly following a tutorial. I know that I never had to use a game exploit and the UnleashX setup completed with backing up the old dashboard, hiding it, and creating however many new drives it was supposed to. Today I decided to dust the thing off and try to update it. The Live update failed (although it saw a new update was needed) so I had to do it manually.

And then I effed up. I FTP'ed the wrong file to replace default.xbe at E:/dash.

Now whenever I turn the Xbox on using the tray open button the dashboard fails to load and hangs at black. The power button still causes the system to load games correctly, but UnleashX has been broken.

I don't remember what I did during installation to be able to fully understand my options here. I know that the FTP server never initializes, so I can't use the network. I would very much like to fix this problem, so I would appreciate some direction.

Cheers.

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:10 AM

Cold boot with Frosty's rescue disc. It will give you ftp access to copy the correct file across.

#3 trel

trel

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:58 AM

The disc loaded. After failing several times to set up a static IP (necessary for my wireless bridge), I just moved it next to the router and linked them with a CAT5 cable . That enabled proper DHCP and thus the FTP connection. Trying to load the proper file into E:/dash should have worked... but it didn't.

I'm guessing that the original partitioning of E:/ didn't leave much extra space, because UnleashX reported the drive full. It would also explain the "Critical error" I keep getting when I try to transfer the file.

Is there a way to extend the drive? I'm afraid to use Frosty's editor, because I don't know what kind of effects it could have. Is space even the problem?

This sucks. But thanks for the help so far, Heimdall.

#4 trel

trel

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:47 AM

I was able to clear out enough space to allow the new "default.xbe" file to go through, and the problem is now solved.

Now... I feel that I should do more to learn about the status of my drives and possibly even repartition them. I want to add some emulators, and I feel that adding them to the C drive (only option it seems) isn't the smartest idea.

#5 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:58 AM

You can't repartition a stock disk - you're stuck with E at its current size. If you've used a decent softmod the real C is hidden behind a shadow C, and you can put what you like on the shadow C, but there's only ~170 MB spare, hardly enough for any meaningful apps. If you don't have a shadow C you'll have about 320 MB spare, but as you've spotted you need to be careful, because it's really easy to accidentally delete one of the critical softmod files on the real C - and the sensible advice would be to upgrade your softmod to one with shadow C, like Krayzie 1.1.1. or Kingroach 3.1.

Your best bet is a larger disk. Any lockable IDE (PATA) disk should work, and that will get you up to 750 GB - although 500GB seems to be the largest that's easily available.

Edited by Heimdall, 25 June 2009 - 08:59 AM.

#6 trel

trel

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 04:48 AM

I found out that the reason the E: drive was being such a pain was it being overloaded with save files. After cleaning those out I had enough space for Surreal64 and XBMC, pretty much all I'm looking for.

Also, I found a disc labeled "Ndure 3.1 using xboxhdm K:5101", so I guess I figured out the softmod. Thanks for the help, Heimdall. You helped me save a perfectly good UnleashX install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users