Rickets06

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:51 PM

Read this whole post before trying this. I'm not responsible for anything. smile.gif

I'm trying to brace the center of the mobo so that it doesn't sag or flex when the 360 gets extremely warm.
When I did my xclamp fix, I, like many others, drilled or punched holes in the metal chassis to [ironically] keep the board from flexing upwards (Because we used hardware that wouldn't fit between the mobo and chassis correctly)

So I thought for a while and I think I found a good method to try out.

You need your bottom plastic shell removed (held only by the plastic tabs)
Some plastic/saran wrap
Some thick caulk
A caulking gun

If your heatsinks are off, you can put the mobo in the chassis and then put it all in the bottom shell and take a pencil and mark where the screws are going to be so you know where to caulk. Do some cooling mods while you're at it.
Otherwise, just look at where I caulked and try to follow.

http://www.imagecabi...8aa9e9db7c9968a

http://www.imagecabi...93a46c33b69f205

Caulk and put the 6 pieces of wrap over it. Try not to get plastic by the air holes.
Give the plastic a little pinch around the glob of caulk to make sure it sticks, but don't pinch to much.
Face the bottom shell away from you, grab the xbox so that it faces away from you too, and then get the back parts aligned, then get the front parts aligned and get it snapped back together and refrain from moving it for 48-72 hours, depending on what caulk you have, I like to play it safe.

Also, don't run your xbox at all during this time and don't push down on the xbox.

IMPORTANT WARNING:
My only concern is that if you don't open your xbox back up and remove the plastic once the caulk is hard and dry the heatsink screws will melt the plastic and cause a bit of smoke... I'm not too worried about it for myself, perhaps someone is about to call me stupid tongue.gif If you think the plastic needs to be removed before running the machine, please let me know. tongue.gif

This practice may also be applied if the screws are small and there is a gap between the screws and the chassis, but that's your call.

Thanks for reading and good luck. uhh.gif laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users