PS3Scene

X-S Freak

• Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:24 AM

Rumored PS3 Firmware 3.0 Details Emerge
Posted by XanTium | 26-6-2009 22:24 EST

From 1up.com:

The PlayStation 3 may be receiving a large firmware update this fall, according to a rumor from VG247. The firmware 3.0 update is said to be "a huge overhaul" and was compared to the Xbox 360's NXE in some respects. The new features are said to include a reputation system that will allow users to evaluate each other and view the reps of other players. No doubt aiding in the reputation system will be a "grief reporting system," allowing players to take pictures of offensive users and report them to Sony.

Other features may allow background downloads of game patches, and simultaneous HDMI and digital optical output for audiophiles. The update is reportedly planned to hit before Christmas.

Full Story: 1up.com

#2 Zod5000

Zod5000

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:38 AM

Add MKV container support and SMB network share support. Make it a real media player. Look at how many xbox's sold because you could mod it, and put xmbc on it. Imagine how big the ps3 would be if it they amped up which codecs/containers it can support, and add real networking to it, instead of media player networking.

#3 Fatbeerdrinker

Fatbeerdrinker

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 12:22 PM

2nd MKV support.
The PS3 is so close to being the perfect media centre. Why Sony don't go there is beyond me, it would be an easy way to sell more consoles.

#4 hamwbone

hamwbone

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:03 PM

"simultaneous HDMI and digital optical output"

my ps3 and 360 has done this since day one?

#5 Yappadappadu1000

Yappadappadu1000

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:56 PM

3rd mkv support. I am using PS3 Media Server, but real mkv support would it make easier.

And give us Prologic II support for the XMB menu. I'd like to use it when playing PSX games and watching videos, but since all 5/7 channels are active, no matter which channels are actually used, using Prologic isn't possible. Fix that, Sony.

Edited by Yappadappadu1000, 28 June 2009 - 09:13 PM.

#6 mercury187

mercury187

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:18 PM

ive been using mkv2vob for mkvs, it takes about 1 minute per gb to convert and my computer is at least 4 years old (2ghz with 1gb ram) and then I just store them on a usb hdd, cost me about 70$ for a 500gb, all it does is mux them or whatever, doesnt alter the quality or anything......

#7 HotKnife420

HotKnife420

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE(mercury187 @ Jun 29 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

ive been using mkv2vob for mkvs, it takes about 1 minute per gb to convert and my computer is at least 4 years old (2ghz with 1gb ram) and then I just store them on a usb hdd, cost me about 70$ for a 500gb, all it does is mux them or whatever, doesnt alter the quality or anything......

People aren't asking for mkv support because there's no way to play them, but rather because we can already play what's inside (h.264) and the PS3 just wants to bitch about the container used. Although I, myself, got into converting my mkv stuff to AVCHDs, most people won't want to be bothered with switching containers, let alone reencoding.

#8 man_the_king

man_the_king

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Books, Movies, Video-games, Music, Technology
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE(hamwbone @ Jun 28 2009, 08:03 AM) View Post
"simultaneous HDMI and digital optical output"

my ps3 and 360 has done this since day one?

The PS3 doesn't do that mate. You have to select where your sound will be coming from, and you cannot select HDMI and the Optical output for audio. Currently, you can only select one outlet, though why they put in that restriction is beyond me.

#9 chronno

chronno

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Xbox, Xbox, XBox
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE(mercury187 @ Jun 29 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

Not all MKVs are created equal. I have several that converted in seconds just like yours, but I have quite a few more that take hours on that same PC. Both files were 720p, both were MKV, and both could be played perfectly threw VLC.

XBMC on the PS3 would solve all my problems. Can't play HD on the Xbox1 and can't play MKV (and a few other formats I have) on the PS3. That and I think my XBox is dying. I just had to replace the HDD yesterday after it completely died (error 07).

#10 NineT9mustang

NineT9mustang

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:25 AM

Theres only 1 thing I care about... Lifting RSX Access so we can load XBMC sad.gif

With XBMC, comes everything else...Homebrew, MKV, etc

#11 BecomethemonsteR

BecomethemonsteR

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • Interests:Stuff
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE(man_the_king @ Jun 29 2009, 02:38 PM) View Post

The PS3 doesn't do that mate. You have to select where your sound will be coming from, and you cannot select HDMI and the Optical output for audio. Currently, you can only select one outlet, though why they put in that restriction is beyond me.

I select HDMI for picture and optical for audio all the time. Pictures can be provided though I don't know who they'll help. Maybe it has something to do with the model? I have a 160gb Uncharted PS3.

As far as XBMC on it, that would be sweet. Especially Vision 3... hint hint.

Edited by BecomethemonsteR, 30 July 2009 - 01:25 PM.

#12 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE(BecomethemonsteR @ Jul 30 2009, 01:24 PM) View Post

I select HDMI for picture and optical for audio all the time. Pictures can be provided though I don't know who they'll help. Maybe it has something to do with the model? I have a 160gb Uncharted PS3.

As far as XBMC on it, that would be sweet. Especially Vision 3... hint hint.

I think you misinterpreted the response.
You can not output Audio via Optical and Audio via HDMI at the same time. If you select Optical for the audio out there is no audio via HDMI......obviously the video is there.

#13 Maverick0984

Maverick0984

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE(Chancer @ Jul 30 2009, 02:25 PM) View Post

I think you misinterpreted the response.
You can not output Audio via Optical and Audio via HDMI at the same time. If you select Optical for the audio out there is no audio via HDMI......obviously the video is there.

Spot on.

Acutually, I don't know too many devices that allow audio over HDMI and SPDIF simultaneously. This includes PC's. Honestly, if this were true, the PS3 would be the first I know of.

I suppose some random BluRay player might have the capability, who knows.

#14 hamwbone

hamwbone

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:33 PM

i miss read that myself, i get it now. i never even tried listening to the ps3 thru hdmi on my tv, video is hdmi, but i have tos link going to the surround system. i havnt even heard what the tv's speakers sound like hehe, i turned them off the day i bought it. the reciever is on 24/7 =)

#15 tsantsa

tsantsa

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:09 AM

QUOTE(Maverick0984 @ Aug 11 2009, 08:46 PM) View Post

Spot on.

Acutually, I don't know too many devices that allow audio over HDMI and SPDIF simultaneously. This includes PC's. Honestly, if this were true, the PS3 would be the first I know of.

I suppose some random BluRay player might have the capability, who knows.

I believe the Xbox 360 does this...I know that my HDMI is connected only to my tv and I can just turn up the tv's volume for quiet gaming, or I can use the optical on my AV unit to get sound as well...I have to double check that though.

MY concern with this 3.0 update is two-fold.

#1, the Slim was just announced today at gamescom and they said it will be preloaded with the 3.0 update SANS the Other OS menu item. Ok that's fine, I played with some linux flavors on my phat ps3 but I don't really use it.

#2, Does the 3.0 update REMOVE the Other OS feature on phats as well?

The only reason I ask this, is that if there is much hope for homebrew (XBMC, MKV etc.), wouldn't one of the routes to this be through this ability?

I am simply asking because I don't know. My original thought was to sell my phat for $200 and get a slim for $300 but I don't want to sacrifice future abilities that the community comes up with...Can anyone shed any light on this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users