• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mgchan

mgchan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:45 AM

Just started looking into Xbox 360. What I'd like is to be able to play backups and stream Netflix, playing online would be nice, and avoid any RROD issues, obviously. Preferably this will be outputted as 1080p through HDMI.

I'm planning on getting the following:
1) Xbox 360 Arcade from Dell (says it comes with 512mb memory which from what I gather suggests that it is a Jasper version?)
2) Western Digital 120gb BEVS drive from Newegg
3) Hard drive enclosure
4) Connectivity kit v3; as it seems these new systems will come with a Lite-On drive

I have a PCMCIA SATA card which I think has the correct VIA chipset (as suggested by the site's user reviews).

With these (and appropriate cables/torx screwdrivers), I should be able to flash my DVD drive and hard drive, correct?

I'm considering paying someone to flash my drive for me rather than getting a connectivity kit, but then would I be stuck with whatever firmware they put on my drive unless I pay to have it flashed again?

Thanks in advance.

#2 vb_encryption_vb

vb_encryption_vb

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:17 AM

QUOTE(mgchan @ Jun 26 2009, 10:45 PM) View Post

Just started looking into Xbox 360. What I'd like is to be able to play backups and stream Netflix, playing online would be nice, and avoid any RROD issues, obviously. Preferably this will be outputted as 1080p through HDMI.

I'm planning on getting the following:
1) Xbox 360 Arcade from Dell (says it comes with 512mb memory which from what I gather suggests that it is a Jasper version?)
2) Western Digital 120gb BEVS drive from Newegg
3) Hard drive enclosure
4) Connectivity kit v3; as it seems these new systems will come with a Lite-On drive

I have a PCMCIA SATA card which I think has the correct VIA chipset (as suggested by the site's user reviews).

With these (and appropriate cables/torx screwdrivers), I should be able to flash my DVD drive and hard drive, correct?

I'm considering paying someone to flash my drive for me rather than getting a connectivity kit, but then would I be stuck with whatever firmware they put on my drive unless I pay to have it flashed again?

Thanks in advance.

Why do people order these from Dell are they cheaper? Anyways I sell premodded japers. Latest iXtreme FW. You could get a 120 hd off eGay for around the same price as it would cost to build and buy all the garbage you will need.

#3 mgchan

mgchan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:26 AM

QUOTE(vb_encryption_vb @ Jun 26 2009, 08:17 PM) View Post

Why do people order these from Dell are they cheaper? Anyways I sell premodded japers. Latest iXtreme FW. You could get a 120 hd off eGay for around the same price as it would cost to build and buy all the garbage you will need.

Well they have the Arcade available for $170 shipped. I see I can buy pre-formatted drives for $70 or so which includes the enclosure. So basically I would just get a connectivity kit ($50) and be future proofed for firmware upgrades.

#4 vb_encryption_vb

vb_encryption_vb

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:37 AM

Hmm I just went to Dell.com and found the arcade unit at 179.99 plus shipping. Anyways if you bought a premod from someone then you wouldn't have to have the CK3 or anything like that as you will already have the key and can just dump the iXtreme FW. You might have not just understood what I said there but in noob terms. Once Liteon is modded no need for spear/probe.

#5 mgchan

mgchan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:50 AM

QUOTE(vb_encryption_vb @ Jun 26 2009, 08:37 PM) View Post

Hmm I just went to Dell.com and found the arcade unit at 179.99 plus shipping. Anyways if you bought a premod from someone then you wouldn't have to have the CK3 or anything like that as you will already have the key and can just dump the iXtreme FW. You might have not just understood what I said there but in noob terms. Once Liteon is modded no need for spear/probe.

Understood - I'm just looking to save a few bucks, which I think I would. I see on your site a pre-mod would be $280, while a console from Dell (with a 15% coupon) is $170 + kit is definitely still less, and in the future I'll be able to upgrade the firmware if needed. I'd definitely get a premod if it required soldering on a chip or something (like I did for my original Xbox).

Edited by mgchan, 27 June 2009 - 04:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users