Photo

New To Modding (apologize For Being The Newbie)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 electricpoet41

electricpoet41

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:32 PM

I just got an Xbox360 from a friend it was just sent back from Microsoft and fixed. I have some questions about modding the 360 to read copied games or games off the hard drive.

1) Is there a difference between Modding and Flashing? What are the advantages? If I won't be using xbox live, does it matter one way over the other?

2) Replacing the HDD, whats the biggest HDD you can put in there, what are the requirements, are there only certain drives that work? When installing it do you have to set anything specific up?

3) If you want to put the games directly on a Drive instead of on DVDs how is this done, are they iso or a certain xbox file format (which im assuming its a special xbox file format just dont know the name). Can the xbox read the files from a portable drive? If not can you copy over the games from a portable drive to the xbox harddrive?

As you can see I am very new to this and any information would be very helpful.

also, if Flashing is different than modding, and you have to mod, what is the best solderless modchip to use? Do they work with all xbox versions? Thanks again!

#2 vb_encryption_vb

vb_encryption_vb

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:10 PM

1) Is there a difference between Modding and Flashing? What are the advantages? If I won't be using xbox live, does it matter one way over the other?

Modding/Flashing is the same thing. Just different terms.

2) Replacing the HDD, whats the biggest HDD you can put in there, what are the requirements, are there only certain drives that work? When installing it do you have to set anything specific up?

120GB It's damn near just as cheap to buy one now days used off eBay.

3) If you want to put the games directly on a Drive instead of on DVDs how is this done, are they iso or a certain xbox file format (which im assuming its a special xbox file format just dont know the name). Can the xbox read the files from a portable drive? If not can you copy over the games from a portable drive to the xbox harddrive?

Still requires you to have the disc. No it can not run games off a portable drive neither.

As you can see I am very new to this and any information would be very helpful.

also, if Flashing is different than modding, and you have to mod, what is the best solderless modchip to use? Do they work with all xbox versions? Thanks again!

Depending on what kind of drive you have depends on if your going to need to buy any additional hardware. (CK3 Pro, Spear/Probe) It just may be cheaper and smarter for you to send it off to a professional.

#3 electricpoet41

electricpoet41

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:59 PM

Thanks for that information, so what tools are required to Flash the dvd-drive? Is there an exact step by step instructions that you know where I can follow to do this?

If you flash the dvd-drive and mess up, anyway to revert back?

I just looked at my xbox and it looks like i have BENQ VAD6038. Mine looks like this one http://www.llamma.co...vd_tray_500.jpg

#4 electricpoet41

electricpoet41

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:21 AM

when flashing the dvd-drive are are you still going to have to solder anything?

#5 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,810 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:21 AM

QUOTE(electricpoet41 @ Jun 28 2009, 06:59 PM) View Post

Thanks for that information, so what tools are required to Flash the dvd-drive? Is there an exact step by step instructions that you know where I can follow to do this?

If you flash the dvd-drive and mess up, anyway to revert back?

I just looked at my xbox and it looks like i have BENQ VAD6038. Mine looks like this one http://www.llamma.co...vd_tray_500.jpg

Download the newest Jungle Flasher and click the tutorial link within the program. IF you have a BenQ there is no need to buy an extractor. However it should be noted that BenQ and Liteon looks the same. You will know if you have a Liteon if your console was manufactured after 6-08.

If you have a Liteon there is no way to revert back from the mod. As long as you make sure you have a proper dump of your drive key before you do any flashing then all hope is not lost. However if you trash your drive before you get the proper dump of your drive key then a new console will be needed.

If you have a Liteon then soldering will be determined on how much money you want to spend on the extractor.

Edited by Ranger72, 29 June 2009 - 12:22 AM.

#6 Mr.RedRing

Mr.RedRing

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:47 AM

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ Jun 28 2009, 07:21 PM) View Post

Download the newest Jungle Flasher and click the tutorial link within the program. IF you have a BenQ there is no need to buy an extractor. However it should be noted that BenQ and Liteon looks the same. You will know if you have a Liteon if your console was manufactured after 6-08.

If you have a Liteon there is no way to revert back from the mod. As long as you make sure you have a proper dump of your drive key before you do any flashing then all hope is not lost. However if you trash your drive before you get the proper dump of your drive key then a new console will be needed.

If you have a Liteon then soldering will be determined on how much money you want to spend on the extractor.

You don't need to solder at all anymore. Just make your own probe for $5 using parts from Radioshack and you can flash Lite-ons after that without any soldering.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users