3 replies to this topic

#1 Mugo

Mugo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:51 PM

Hello Folks,

Im about to finally finish my Linux multi-distros DVD compilation, thanks to all the help i could find here. So, for this i would like to start with a big thanks for all you helpfull fellows!

Now, my problem is about having Xubuntu and Xebian on the same DVD. Both of them use livefs as the boot image. And both of them look for this file at the DVDs root.

Im totally dummy in Linux matters. That put aside, seems to me that the file "initrd" is the caller of livefs.

I tried to hex edit the initrd file to change livefs names for both, Xubuntu and Xebian. Changed them to livef1 and livef2, but they are still looking for a livefs file. I need ti rename these files to something else so i can have both of them at the DVDs root at the same time.

How can i change the files names, so i can have both distros in the same DVD?

Thanks!

#2 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE(Mugo @ Jun 30 2009, 12:51 AM) View Post

Im totally dummy in Linux matters. That put aside, seems to me that the file "initrd" is the caller of livefs.

I tried to hex edit the initrd file to change livefs names for both, Xubuntu and Xebian. Changed them to livef1 and livef2, but they are still looking for a livefs file. I need ti rename these files to something else so i can have both of them at the DVDs root at the same time.

How can i change the files names, so i can have both distros in the same DVD?

Rebuild the initrd file. You'll need the file command to decipher the file format of initrd - which could be cpio , gz, a loop file of ext2 etc. You'll then invoke the appropriate command(s) to unpack the file and modify the init command or whatever calls the livefs. Repack the initrd after you are done modifying.

#3 Mugo

Mugo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:22 PM

Hey ldotsfan,

Thanks again for trying to help me :-)

In the header of initrd i can see the string "Compressed ROMFS".

Ive sucessfully mounted this image with an ubuntu livecd on my PC. But the file is read only.

After everything ive read, seems this file is a cramfs image?

Now i have two problems: as i told you before, im a totally dummy. I dont know where to look for the file or wherever i must change to load livefs with a different name.

Also, i dont know how to rebuild the initrd file.

Maybe i need to do this directly in the Xbox Xubuntu?

If you can help me here, please be as detailed as you can be. Or if you know where i can read about this process, itll be a great help.

Thank you!

#4 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE(Mugo @ Jul 1 2009, 02:22 AM) View Post

After everything ive read, seems this file is a cramfs image?

Now i have two problems: as i told you before, im a totally dummy. I dont know where to look for the file or wherever i must change to load livefs with a different name.

Also, i dont know how to rebuild the initrd file.

I'll try but this will be challenging.

The rebuilding will be something along the line of this

This post might help too.

ls -R > listing.txt and pastebin of the contents of the initrd file might help too - to identify which file to modify

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users