27 replies to this topic

#1 onlysublime

onlysublime

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 02:05 AM

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out why my games that were advertised as having widescreen options or 720P or 1080i options don't work on my xboxes. For years, I was going with softmodded xboxes that were done with SID 2.0.

the video options work beautifully for xbmc, unleashx, avalaunch, etc. just not in games. people were telling me i should be able to run some of my xbox games in 16:9 and some of them in 720p.

I did a lot of research in these and other forums and some other people said you have to set it in the original MS dash.

But I no longer have access to the original MS dash. When I go to the ms dash option in unleashX, it says the msdash.xbe is not available.

I then read that a newer version of unleashx would work so i updated to Unleashx V0.39.0528a Build 584. still no change in games like halo 2.

then i tried to use the latest AID v4.50 Final and removed the SID softmod and replaced it with the dual boot softmod > Hacked Dash / Softmod Menu > Standard for HD
i still can't boot into ms dash. the splash screens for unleashx and sid are new.

i got another ms dash from ms-dash-mik3h and put it in the apps folder. tried running it from the file explorer and got it to run. then tried running a game. still no change.

i have no clue what to do. can anyone help?

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 July 2009 - 02:21 AM

You have to bypass virtual eeprom before enabling HD. Put a small text file called eeprom_off.bin in E:\NKP11\ (doesn't matter what's in the file, it just has to exist) then reboot your Xbox and change the resolution in MS-Dash. Reboot, delete eeprom_off.bin, reboot again, and you should have HD available.

#3 onlysublime

onlysublime

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Jul 4 2009, 09:21 PM) View Post

You have to bypass virtual eeprom before enabling HD. Put a small text file called eeprom_off.bin in E:\NKP11\ (doesn't matter what's in the file, it just has to exist) then reboot your Xbox and change the resolution in MS-Dash. Reboot, delete eeprom_off.bin, reboot again, and you should have HD available.

Thanks so much for the reply! I tried to follow your instructions. But there's no E:\NKP11 folder. So I created one and then created that eeprom_off.bin text file in that directory. rebooted the xbox. tried to load ms-dash. still can't load it.

i'm so sorry for being such a n00b. but i'm grateful and i'll follow whatever advise you give.

#4 bc54

bc54

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:44 AM

hi, i think i can help.

you have the sid5.0 softmod, right? thats the one in the latest aid. from your description, if you turn on your xbox with the eject button, and leave the tray open until fully booted, you will end up in the sid menu. here you can turn off the softmod, remove it, etc. in this state the eject led will be red.

when you boot this way (eject button and tray open), the virtual eeprom and virtual c drive will be bypassed, from this menu, i think there is a file browser. use that to launch ms dash (C:\xb1xdash.xbe, i think).

from there you can change to hi-def and widescreen mode (i think it automatically changes to widescreen when you put it in HD, but im not sure)

hope i could help.
ps- sid5.0 isnt really "supported" by most people on these forums. most people here swear by krayzies ndure (or kingroach's ndure), so you might want to consider using cash to upgrade to krayzies.

#5 onlysublime

onlysublime

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:56 AM

thanks for the reply!

yes, i have the sid5.0 softmod.
i tried your method and unfortunately it didn't work. i think somehow my ms backup got corrupted or something.
(first. my softmodded xbox has an upgraded hard drive (maxtor 160gb). it was upgraded thru chimps. so i'm pretty sure it doesn't have the eeprom backup because it's not needed with that program. i did use xboxhdm once on my other softmodded xbox and it was a nightmare.)
so i turned on the xbox with the tray open and got to the sid menu.
i then went to the file manager and loaded the xb1xdash.xbe file from drive c:
it then loads, says "update complete. starting updated title. " and then it dumps me back to the softmod installer deluxe V menu.

i've heard of this ndure stuff but never tried it before. you have to pay for it? my first start with softmodding was thru a guide on lifehacker that i've since found out was based on an older guide and it was SID 2.0. worked great for me until i found out there were xbox games in widescreen and games in 720p/1080i.

QUOTE(bc54 @ Jul 5 2009, 03:44 AM) View Post

hi, i think i can help.

you have the sid5.0 softmod, right? thats the one in the latest aid. from your description, if you turn on your xbox with the eject button, and leave the tray open until fully booted, you will end up in the sid menu. here you can turn off the softmod, remove it, etc. in this state the eject led will be red.

when you boot this way (eject button and tray open), the virtual eeprom and virtual c drive will be bypassed, from this menu, i think there is a file browser. use that to launch ms dash (C:\xb1xdash.xbe, i think).

from there you can change to hi-def and widescreen mode (i think it automatically changes to widescreen when you put it in HD, but im not sure)

hope i could help.
ps- sid5.0 isnt really "supported" by most people on these forums. most people here swear by krayzies ndure (or kingroach's ndure), so you might want to consider using cash to upgrade to krayzies.

#6 bc54

bc54

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:10 AM

ok.
that means that xb1xdash.xbe is the live dash, i think.

if i recall correctly, i think you can change to HD from unleashx, and the sid menu is unleash.'

so boot up the sid menu with eject, got to system -> settings (or whatever it is), then select video display. the first two options should be enable 480p and 720p. change these options to yes. then later down you can change it to widescreen, but i think it changes automatically with HD. dont use 1080i because it is hard on your xbox.

i've heard of this ndure stuff but never tried it before. you have to pay for it? my first start with softmodding was thru a guide on lifehacker that i've since found out was based on an older guide and it was SID 2.0. worked great for me until i found out there were xbox games in widescreen and games in 720p/1080i.

lol. no by cash i meant Cereal killas automated softmod helper. to switch to krayzies ndure with cash, boot up to sid menu, so your virtual junk is bypassed. then insert the cash cd/dvd, and upgrade to krazies ndure 1.1.1 from "other softmod". but this will format your c and e drives, so you will lose that data. i personally think that sid5.0 isnt as terrible as previous sids, so its not super important you switch, just that you will find more support here for krayzies/kingroach's ndure.

#7 onlysublime

onlysublime

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:44 AM

okay, thanks for your patience. no dice. i followed your steps. i then stuck in halo 2 in the drive and rebooted. still 4:3. also tried out a couple other games advertised as 16:9. no go.

if i don't get this solved, i'll switch to krazyzies. but i have a question about that too. my hard drive is upgraded. how will i handle the switch or will the helper take care of that? i used the chimps method which cloned my first modded 8GB hard drive to my 160 GB hard drive. no eeprom backup involved. no xboxhdm involved.

QUOTE(bc54 @ Jul 5 2009, 04:10 AM) View Post

ok.

if i recall correctly, i think you can change to HD from unleashx, and the sid menu is unleash.'

so boot up the sid menu with eject, got to system -> settings (or whatever it is), then select video display. the first two options should be enable 480p and 720p. change these options to yes. then later down you can change it to widescreen, but i think it changes automatically with HD. dont use 1080i because it is hard on your xbox.
lol. no by cash i meant Cereal killas automated softmod helper. to switch to krayzies ndure with cash, boot up to sid menu, so your virtual junk is bypassed. then insert the cash cd/dvd, and upgrade to krazies ndure 1.1.1 from "other softmod". but this will format your c and e drives, so you will lose that data. i personally think that sid5.0 isnt as terrible as previous sids, so its not super important you switch, just that you will find more support here for krayzies/kingroach's ndure.

#8 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE(onlysublime @ Jul 5 2009, 08:14 AM) View Post
Thanks so much for the reply! I tried to follow your instructions. But there's no E:\NKP11 folder. So I created one and then created that eeprom_off.bin text file in that directory. rebooted the xbox. tried to load ms-dash. still can't load it.

Hang on - in your original post you said you COULD load MS Dash, from E:\Apps\. Adding E:\NKP11\eeprom_off.bin will make no difference to your ability to run MS Dash. So, add eeprom_off.bin then run MS-Dash as you did originally and use it to set the video modes.

No, you were right first time - xb1xdash.xbe is the stock 5960 MS Dash renamed, in the same way that Kingroach and Krayzie rename it xb0xdash.xbe.

#9 bc54

bc54

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 12:51 PM

Duh!!

I just realized something. You said that you installed your Sid5.0 with hacked dash / Sid menu > standard for HD, right?

That means you have no virtual eeprom or virtual c. It also might explain why you can't boot ms dash.
Tell me, when you installed this softmod, did you reboot, to find a Sid like menu saying it had to fill the virtual c, or something like that?

Here's is a definitive way to check if you have a virtual c and eeprom, boot normally and look at the c drive, it should look completely stock. Now boot. To Sid and look at the c drive, it should look different if you have a virtual setup. There should be a folder named Sid. If the c drive looks exactly the same from both ways, then you DON'T have a virtual c and eeprom.

I can't help much the about the HD issue, but it clears somethings up a bit

#10 onlysublime

onlysublime

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 06:57 PM

I put the whole MS dash folder in apps. I didn't make any changes to the files. I can load this ms dash thru the file explorer by loading xboxdash.xbe

i can't load ms dash thru the unleash menu option. sorry for my confusion.

but i after i added the eeprom_off.bin file to the E:\NKP11 directory that I made, I went to file explorer and loaded the xboxdash.xbe program. i then went to video options and widescreen, 1080i, and 720p were set. i then tried halo2 and a couple others. still no widescreen... sad.gif

this is driving me crazy. the only thing keeping me from giving up is you guys. thanks. smile.gif

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Jul 5 2009, 06:01 AM) View Post

Hang on - in your original post you said you COULD load MS Dash, from E:\Apps\. Adding E:\NKP11\eeprom_off.bin will make no difference to your ability to run MS Dash. So, add eeprom_off.bin then run MS-Dash as you did originally and use it to set the video modes.

No, you were right first time - xb1xdash.xbe is the stock 5960 MS Dash renamed, in the same way that Kingroach and Krayzie rename it xb0xdash.xbe.

hi, i booted normally. i went to file explorer. there is a SID folder and a SID5 folder.
i booted to the sids softmod menu, went back to file explorer and there was no changes.
and i don't remember setting any virtual eeprom or virtual c.

QUOTE(bc54 @ Jul 5 2009, 07:51 AM) View Post

Duh!!

I just realized something. You said that you installed your Sid5.0 with hacked dash / Sid menu > standard for HD, right?

That means you have no virtual eeprom or virtual c. It also might explain why you can't boot ms dash.
Tell me, when you installed this softmod, did you reboot, to find a Sid like menu saying it had to fill the virtual c, or something like that?

Here's is a definitive way to check if you have a virtual c and eeprom, boot normally and look at the c drive, it should look completely stock. Now boot. To Sid and look at the c drive, it should look different if you have a virtual setup. There should be a folder named Sid. If the c drive looks exactly the same from both ways, then you DON'T have a virtual c and eeprom.

I can't help much the about the HD issue, but it clears somethings up a bit

#11 bc54

bc54

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 12:29 AM

ok that means you dont have any virtual c or vitual eeprom.

that doesnt explain why you cant change to widescreen/HD, but it does eliminate the virtual eeprom as the reason why.

ok, so first make sure you have the requirements for widescreen/HD

you HAVE to have a widescreen tv for widescreen mode. (widescreen mode just uses images the are horizontally compressed, so when your widescreen tv strachtes them they maintain proper aspect ratio)

you HAVE to have a Hi-Def tv, Hi-Def a/v cables (red, blue, and green ends), and if your cable is capable of standard def and hi def, there should be a switch or something to switch between the two. set that switchto HD. (i think that if you dont have HD cables connected, ms dash wont let you enable 480p/720p; it will be "greyed out")

if you want, you can pretty easily restore you xbox to a clean softmod with cash. if you do this you will have krayzies ndure and youll find a lot more people will be able to help you here. but if you do, your C and E drive will be formatted (but not F or G), so you will want to back up any apps, music, pictures, whatever to your f/g drive (or computer to be extra safe) until after your done.

#12 onlysublime

onlysublime

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 02:21 AM

LOL. flashbacks to diagnosing problems for my friend who said, my computer won't turn on. and i asked, is it plugged in? and lo an behold, the power cable was loose.

yes. i have a widescreen tv. the xbox is hooked up thru monster component cables. i also have the official microsoft hd component cable pack (the black box with the components coming off it) which i tried as well. i played around with different aspect ratio settings and can definitely tell it's not the aspect ratio issue.

as for using cash, will it allow me to go from the current 160GB hard drive? or do I have to start with my original 8GB? i have no problems formatting it since i've already formatted it recently. i installed the ms dash according to the AID instructions but didn't read the part that i needed to install the sid before restarting, thus ended up at the error 21 screen. had to recopy my 8GB hard drive to my 160GB hard drive. a big mess.

also, I have never heard of these other methods. can you point me in a direction and where to start? when the xbox first came out, i was interesting in modding, but all the high tech talk threw me off. then a few years later, i saw an easy guide in lifehacker and decided to jump in.

the worst part about the internet is everything is kept in perpetuity. so i've read countless guides and methods, only to find out the guide was using was obsolete. like recently, i grabbed a cheap 360 hd-dvd drive for $20 and started buying hd-dvd's for ripping for less than $10 each (Transformers was $2). so i was searching for guides on how to rip to the PC before the drive dies. and i'm using one guide and getting stuck because the arguments weren't working for the CLI program. only to find out the newer version of the program changed all the arguments and it was an outdated guide anyway.

i have another question: can i simply unlock my hard drive, stick it in a pc, copy the files so that i don't have to go the slow ftp route? wait a sec... forgot about the fatx thing... nothing to see here. move along...

QUOTE(bc54 @ Jul 5 2009, 07:29 PM) View Post

ok, so first make sure you have the requirements for widescreen/HD

you HAVE to have a widescreen tv for widescreen mode. (widescreen mode just uses images the are horizontally compressed, so when your widescreen tv strachtes them they maintain proper aspect ratio)

you HAVE to have a Hi-Def tv, Hi-Def a/v cables (red, blue, and green ends), and if your cable is capable of standard def and hi def, there should be a switch or something to switch between the two. set that switchto HD. (i think that if you dont have HD cables connected, ms dash wont let you enable 480p/720p; it will be "greyed out")
if you want, you can pretty easily restore you xbox to a clean softmod with cash. if you do this you will have krayzies ndure and youll find a lot more people will be able to help you here. but if you do, your C and E drive will be formatted (but not F or G), so you will want to back up any apps, music, pictures, whatever to your f/g drive (or computer to be extra safe) until after your done.

#13 onlysublime

onlysublime

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 03:38 AM

Okay, I've downloaded CASH 1.1. is there a newer version out there?

Programs Included with the Full Install

* EvoX 3935
* UnleashX 0.39.0222A
* Avalaunch 0.49.3
* XBMC CVS 2006-09-18 T3CH build
* Dvd2XboX 0.7.7
* boXplorer 0.96beta
* DVDX
* HDDLoader 1.3a
* Emulators
* A2600
* AdamX
* Neogenisis
* Surreal 64
* pcsxbox
* Snes9x

#14 bc54

bc54

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:14 AM

ok. here are some answers.

yes, you can use cash to switch to cash on your 160gb hard drive.

XBMC included with cash is old. you can upgrade the xbmc on the disc, or on your hard drive after the upgraqde. if you want to upgrade the one on disc, get the latest t3ch or latest t3ch stable. then, use one of the xbox iso extraction programs to extract the cash1.1. simply replace the folder Cash1.1/dashs/xbmc/xbmc with the xbmc folder in the t3ch download.

then, build an xbox iso and burn it to a disc that your xbox will read (dvd+rw will usually work for most people).

then, make sure you can ftp to your xbox, you WILL need it. insert the disc into your xbox and coldboot it.

1st backup your eeprom and ftp it to your computer, it can save your xbox,so keep it safe.

2nd select "5)I am softmodded w/Some Other Softmod". then select "B)Stock+Ndure v1.1.1 NTSC Gamesaves" (or pal if its pal)

3rd NOW, VERY VERY IMPORTANT. ftp to your xbox and look at the E drive. i dont know why, but for me the gamesaves never installed correctly, it might be because i messed with files before, but just double check. you need to see the folders "TDATA" and "UDATA". look in "UDATA", and there should be the folders "4541000d", "4d530017", "5553000c", and "21585554". if they are not there, do the following.
a.in the ftp client, go to the d drive, then krayzies > ndure1.1
b. download the contents of the folders "007", M"A", "SC-NTSC" (or "SC-PAL" if your xbox is pal) to your computer.
c. navigate to E:\UDATA and upload the folders you just downloaded.
d. your E:\UDATA should appear like described above.

4th in cash, select "D)Run Ndure v1.1.1 Installer Now". another evolutionx dash will be loaded allowing you to select which save to load. (if the only option you are allowed to select is return to main menu or something, follow a-d in step 3.) if you have one opf the games, select that gamesave, if not it does not matter.

5th you will now be in krayzies installer. you should eject the cash cd/dvd now. it is a super simple installation, you wont need a guide for it. once krayzies is done installing, you will reboot and when your dash loads again, it will talk about filling the shadowc. just follow through and you will reboot again. now you will finally be softmodded with krayzies ndure.

6th now reinsert cash, select "2)I am softmodded w/Krayzies Ndure v1.1.1". then select "C)Install Krayzies Extras". it will install krayzies extras, which will allow you to customize/tweak your softmod. (like change to a .06 setup, so your hard drive is f only, or switch to a dual boot.)

#15 onlysublime

onlysublime

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:44 AM

Okay, I've burned the CASH DVD and run it.

I made an eeprom backup on your PC.
Boot the CASH disc in the xbox.
Selected option “5. I’m softmodded w/some other Softmod”.
chose the option “B. Stock+Ndure v1.1.1 NTSC gamesaves”
chose Krayzies installer
chose the splinter cell exploit.

now i'm stuck. i'm following the cash guide up to the point where it says to continue with krayzie's instructions and then go back to CASH when the softmod is done. i read thru the readme's for krayzie's and am not sure what to do.
i'm at the main screen where it says

1st backup eeprom
copy eeprom
minimum install
basic install
upgraded from 1.0
restore from rescue disc
switch menu
settings

since my xbox seems messy from having first sid 2.0, then sid 5.0, and now trying krayzie's i want a clean setup. plus, right now, my 160 GB hard drive is in the system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users