Memba Numero Uno

• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:08 AM

Xbox 360 Dev Kit with 1GB RAM - Exclusive Pictures
Posted by XanTium | July 11 22:08 EST | News Category: Xbox360

We received exclusive pictures of an Xbox 360 development kit with 1GB of RAM (as opposed to the 512MB found into retail consoles and dev kits until now). It was already rumoured/announced a while ago that new development kits would get 1GB of RAM to give developers more flexibility and use all the power of retail Xbox360s while still running debug tools. Today we offer you the first pictures of this 'new' device.
While most might expect the extra RAM would just be higher capacity chips on the motherboard, it's not. The extra 512MB comes in the new sidecar. The sidecar is the addon device for dev kits you've probably seen before used for dvd emulation and pix ports.
What you can see on the pictures below is just the 512MB-addon taken from inside the new devkit sidecar and modified/wired to be connected as standalone to a dev kit without the rest of the sidecar.
The dev kit itself is an XNA prototype with jasper-based motherboard and because it has been modified to work with the 512MB-addon without the rest of the sidecar we'll dub it 'Frankie the 1GB XNA' ;)
Xbox 360 Dev Kit with 1GB RAM
Xbox 360 Dev Kit with 1GB RAM Xbox 360 Dev Kit with 1GB RAM
Xbox 360 Dev Kit with 1GB RAM Xbox 360 Dev Kit with 1GB RAM

#2 gamerfreak1727

gamerfreak1727

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:Isn't it obvious?
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:10 AM

Ah, good ol' frankie!

#3 MTWomg

MTWomg

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:10 AM

Frankie the 1 GB wonder!

#4 LockmanSal

LockmanSal

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:40 AM

blink.gif Its so pretty. i wants me one.

#5 CollinstheClown

CollinstheClown

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:Modding, Computer repair/maintenance/upgrading, LASERs
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:58 AM

Question...

Why did they white out how much free space was left? Dare I start a larger HDD rumor?

-CollinstheClown

#6 XanTium

XanTium

Xanta Powa!

• Admin
  • 3,110 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:05 AM

QUOTE(CollinstheClown @ Jul 12 2009, 04:58 AM) View Post

Question...

Why did they white out how much free space was left? Dare I start a larger HDD rumor?
-CollinstheClown

Dev kits can have any kind of HDD sizes, unlike retails.

#7 K1LLERHORNET

K1LLERHORNET

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:06 AM

QUOTE(LockmanSal @ Jul 12 2009, 03:40 AM) View Post

blink.gif Its so pretty. i wants me one.

+1 biggrin.gif

QUOTE(CollinstheClown @ Jul 12 2009, 03:58 AM) View Post

Question...

-CollinstheClown

oooooo,

well spotted.

500GB HDD?
i can only dream.

#8 gamerfreak1727

gamerfreak1727

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:11 AM

MS doesn't ship the newest kits with 500GB HDD's they're still shipping with 60GB (formatted) hard drives. I know there was a 250GB HDD limit for HDD's so I doubt it's anything larger.

#9 gamesquest1

gamesquest1

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:25 AM

Is it only me that thinks this looks wierdly dodgy, by this i mean why the hell would they just leave ram unprotected and Bolted to the hard drive with about 4 wires coming off it, i mean ram chips have atleast 50 connection points so why could they have extra ram with a few miesly cables, if that was possible wouldnt actual computer ram manufacture's gotten onto it by now also why is there a controller battery pack shoved under the hard drive :S
also TV brand Hidden ahhhhh i mean what could that reaveal that would be secret im sure microsoft could find out what brand tv it is anyways so its kinda pointless
and how about it saying exe/xex only on the machine name part....that looks bizzare to me also
looks like the kind of wired stuff hackers come up with bloody pliers glued to the laser and wierd stuff like that, i mean if microsoft make them im sure they might have managed to get the hard drive case extended to atleast cover the ram.

dont start flaming, ill admit right now im no expert but does it not seem ram with four wires might just be a usb drive and they have enabled some ready booste technology for the 360 to increase usable ram for the dev kits, if so couldnt they have just realesed an updated and provided a special usb dongle thing

Infact from what i can make out on them pics the wires are red black white and green......same a most usb wires

Edited by gamesquest1, 12 July 2009 - 06:29 AM.

#10 Fantasy Star

Fantasy Star

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:14 AM

QUOTE(gamesquest1 @ Jul 11 2009, 10:25 PM) View Post

Is it only me that thinks this looks wierdly dodgy, by this i mean why the hell would they just leave ram unprotected and Bolted to the hard drive with about 4 wires coming off it, i mean ram chips have atleast 50 connection points so why could they have extra ram with a few miesly cables, if that was possible wouldnt actual computer ram manufacture's gotten onto it by now also why is there a controller battery pack shoved under the hard drive :S
also TV brand Hidden ahhhhh i mean what could that reaveal that would be secret im sure microsoft could find out what brand tv it is anyways so its kinda pointless
and how about it saying exe/xex only on the machine name part....that looks bizzare to me also
looks like the kind of wired stuff hackers come up with bloody pliers glued to the laser and wierd stuff like that, i mean if microsoft make them im sure they might have managed to get the hard drive case extended to atleast cover the ram.

dont start flaming, ill admit right now im no expert but does it not seem ram with four wires might just be a usb drive and they have enabled some ready booste technology for the 360 to increase usable ram for the dev kits, if so couldnt they have just realesed an updated and provided a special usb dongle thing

Infact from what i can make out on them pics the wires are red black white and green......same a most usb wires

I agree, the way the RAM sticks out has me dumbfounded as well. I'd like to know more if given the opportunity to.

#11 gamerfreak1727

gamerfreak1727

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:35 AM

QUOTE(gamesquest1 @ Jul 11 2009, 11:25 PM) View Post

The Battery pack is to raise the HDD up without the person's hand being in the picture.
and how about it saying exe/xex only on the machine name part....that looks bizzare to me

That's standard on the new XDK dashes (8276+)

also looks like the kind of wired stuff hackers come up with bloody pliers glued to the laser and wierd stuff like that, i mean if microsoft make them im sure they might have managed to get the hard drive case extended to atleast cover the ram.

Did you read the post at all? I'm willing to bet you just skipped to the pictures.

The board is the " 12MB-addon taken from inside the new devkit sidecar "

Apparently you haven't ever seen pictures of a Beta-1 xbox 360.

#12 imaphaggit

imaphaggit

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:17 AM

Looks like someone glued some random shit on an old xbox.

#13 rickyjb

rickyjb

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 11:35 AM

sure looks cool but what does it mean for gamers ? or what does this mean for devlopers?

#14 Vejita

Vejita

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 12 July 2009 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE(rickyjb @ Jul 12 2009, 09:35 AM) View Post

sure looks cool but what does it mean for gamers ?

Prettier games.

#15 Enkeixpress

Enkeixpress

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Xbox 360
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:49 PM

Frankie FTW !! love.gif

I would have been even more impressed if he was was an Elite model like my very own X360.

Edited by Enkeixpress, 12 July 2009 - 01:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users