• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Creebo

Creebo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 01:17 AM

Hey, first post here but I've done a quite of bit of modding to my Xbox. I have recently acquired a secondary Xbox that I would love to hook up to VGA, since my other Xbox is a 1.6. I took out the motherboard, flipped it over, and took a look at the AVIP connector's soldering points. It seems that there are no visible traces that lead to the pins that output the VGA signal. I tested it with the continuity test with my multimeter, and it seems ALL of the pins are grounded. Are these supposed to be grounded? I have suspicion that the traces that I'm looking for are on the top-side of the motherboard.

Oh, and I'm sure it's an earlier version because it carries a Thomson drive and a USB daughter board.

Thanks
- Creebo

#2 run088

run088

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  • Interests:rebuilding broken xboxes
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:45 AM

This post describes all methods but rgb scart

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=213487

#3 Mjollnir

Mjollnir

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:53 PM

JaredC01's pin outs are great, but personally I preferred to mod the AVIP connector instead, u can easily pull one apart and desolder all the pins.

What pins are you measuring? Pin 18, 19 and 22 are your RGB/YCBCR outputs, u can use a common ground pin for them without problem.

There's also an internal sync mod if u want H-Sync and V-Sync straight from the connexant chip, but personally I just used the LM1881N sync separator circuit

#4 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE(Mjollnir @ Jul 23 2009, 10:53 AM) View Post
JaredC01's pin outs are great, but personally I preferred to mod the AVIP connector instead, u can easily pull one apart and desolder all the pins.

What pins are you measuring? Pin 18, 19 and 22 are your RGB/YCBCR outputs, u can use a common ground pin for them without problem.

There's also an internal sync mod if u want H-Sync and V-Sync straight from the connexant chip, but personally I just used the LM1881N sync separator circuit

You don't need to do any of that "sync" stuff though if your monitor supports "sync on green", right?

- 2 Bunny

#5 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE(2 Bunny @ Sep 21 2009, 08:57 PM) View Post

You don't need to do any of that "sync" stuff though if your monitor supports "sync on green", right?

- 2 Bunny

Correct

#6 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:34 AM

QUOTE(xboxmods2977 @ Sep 21 2009, 04:25 PM) View Post

Correct

All right. So, basically I am using this little guide here:

http://www.xbox-scen...s/vga-cable.php

Since the monitor supports "Sync on Green", I only need the video cable and vga extension, right? Or can I even use a normal VGA cable?

I saw some guide somewhere that made it out of an old computer graphics card. Would that be doable also?

- 2 Bunny

#7 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:08 AM

QUOTE(2 Bunny @ Sep 22 2009, 01:34 AM) View Post

All right. So, basically I am using this little guide here:

http://www.xbox-scen...s/vga-cable.php

Since the monitor supports "Sync on Green", I only need the video cable and vga extension, right? Or can I even use a normal VGA cable?

I saw some guide somewhere that made it out of an old computer graphics card. Would that be doable also?

- 2 Bunny

You can do it any way you like. Just as long as one end plugs into the xbox somehow and the other end connects to your monitor somehow. biggrin.gif

#8 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:13 AM

QUOTE(xboxmods2977 @ Sep 21 2009, 09:08 PM) View Post

You can do it any way you like. Just as long as one end plugs into the xbox somehow and the other end connects to your monitor somehow. biggrin.gif

I know that, its just in diagrams, it shows what cables go where from the perspective of the connector end. How can I know which wires I am working on from the inside of the VGA cable?

I am sorry if this seems difficult to me, and not to you, but I am new to soldering, cables, and all that stuff. laugh.gif

- 2 Bunny

#9 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:34 AM

I see what you are saying. What you can do is use a multimeter, set on continuity, to find the wires that go to the pins you need on your vga cable. Break one of the legs off an LED and use that to stick in the holes on your vga cable end as most multimeter probes won't fit inside them. You should also be able to use a header pin too if you have one of those laying around. They may fit in them holes.

If you don't have a multimeter/continuity tester than you can make one with a battery and an LED.

#10 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE(xboxmods2977 @ Sep 22 2009, 01:34 AM) View Post
I see what you are saying. What you can do is use a multimeter, set on continuity, to find the wires that go to the pins you need on your vga cable. Break one of the legs off an LED and use that to stick in the holes on your vga cable end as most multimeter probes won't fit inside them. You should also be able to use a header pin too if you have one of those laying around. They may fit in them holes.

If you don't have a multimeter/continuity tester than you can make one with a battery and an LED.

So, I can do that with a standard vga cable? Just cut the outer casing of the cable half way, or how would that work?

Also, I've got a Multimeter, but not an extra LED Light Bulb, any alternatives?

- 2 Bunny

#11 xoramos

xoramos

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:30 PM

You could use anything that conducts electricity, and will fit inside the small holes. You could probably use a paperclip, but I'd use a strand of cat5 network cable, or any other small cable, just strip a bit off the end, jab it in, cut off the cord, strip all of the wires, hold one terminal of the meter to the part of exposed metal that is sticking out of the plug end of the VGA, then touch the other end of your meter to each wire that is protruding out of the other end, when they connect, you'll know (after you can see, you'll write down on some paper, a little key like the following, then you'll know what to solder.)

pin 1, colour1
pin 2, colour2
pin 3, colour3

I think that is what he's getting at.

#12 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE(xoramos @ Sep 22 2009, 05:30 PM) View Post
You could use anything that conducts electricity, and will fit inside the small holes. You could probably use a paperclip, but I'd use a strand of cat5 network cable, or any other small cable, just strip a bit off the end, jab it in, cut off the cord, strip all of the wires, hold one terminal of the meter to the part of exposed metal that is sticking out of the plug end of the VGA, then touch the other end of your meter to each wire that is protruding out of the other end, when they connect, you'll know (after you can see, you'll write down on some paper, a little key like the following, then you'll know what to solder.)

pin 1, colour1
pin 2, colour2
pin 3, colour3

I think that is what he's getting at.

Is it doable with just tape and stuff instead of solder?

- 2 Bunny

#13 xoramos

xoramos

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:09 PM

What? You want to use just tape and stuff for the whole circuit? I guess you could, but this would really produce a sub-standard product, prone to faults.

Instead of twisting wires together and putting a square of tape folded in half over it, I would really recommend getting a soldering iron or finding someone who has one (and can use it) to do it for you.

Yeah, the small pads on the back of the component cable would be difficult without an iron.

#14 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:07 AM

QUOTE(xoramos @ Sep 23 2009, 05:09 PM) View Post
What? You want to use just tape and stuff for the whole circuit? I guess you could, but this would really produce a sub-standard product, prone to faults.

Instead of twisting wires together and putting a square of tape folded in half over it, I would really recommend getting a soldering iron or finding someone who has one (and can use it) to do it for you.

Yeah, the small pads on the back of the component cable would be difficult without an iron.

Huh. Oh well. We'll take a look into that.

Thanks for all your help.

- 2 Bunny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users