• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mdjd

mdjd

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:03 AM

I've been trying for days to get my lite-on key, but I keep getting errors...I'm using a homemade key extractor/spear which connects to COM 1. I'm using the 360 for power.

I've read something about inverting/swapping/shorting out Rx/Tx...what exactly does that mean and how do you do it? I've seen it talked about quite a bit, but never explained. Also, how exactly can I test my spear with a multimeter?

Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 majinsoftware

majinsoftware

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:09 AM

Well, First you need to use the TX off the liteon R707. And that goes into the RX on your probe.
You also need your probe to be ttl not just plain serial.

Only test you can really do is a loop back test but joing the TX and RX on your probe then open up hyper terminal and see if you can type any thing.

#3 mdjd

mdjd

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE(majinsoftware @ Jul 20 2009, 02:09 AM) View Post

Well, First you need to use the TX off the liteon R707. And that goes into the RX on your probe.
You also need your probe to be ttl not just plain serial.

Only test you can really do is a loop back test but joing the TX and RX on your probe then open up hyper terminal and see if you can type any thing.

So the probe (RX) goes into the R707 hole (TX)...

Here is a picture from the probe tutorial: http://i40.photobuck...04/probe020.jpg
It's a 9-Position Female D-Sub Connector that plugs into COM 1. Is that ttl? Whats the difference between ttl and serial?

I will try the test in hyper terminal now. Thank you.

#4 mdjd

mdjd

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:08 AM

*Couldn't figure out how to edit previous post*

I tried the HyperTerminal test by connecting pin 2 and 3 on the male 9 pin port on my computer. It worked.

I was unable to do the HyperTerminal test with the key extractor attached to the port. I'm not sure if I was doing it correctly. I also was trying to use RealTerm but I couldn't figure out how to get that to work either...

#5 majinsoftware

majinsoftware

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:54 AM

Yeah that proves that your serial port is working.
Look for some instructions on this site, you need like some resisters and stuff.

#6 mdjd

mdjd

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:41 PM

majinsoftware - I read one of your other posts here

"^that isnt a 83850c, Thats just the old firmware with A0A2 hardware which can be flashed fine but some times misses serial data that has to be taken from the drive stickers."

What is this about missing serial data and taking it from drive stickers? Perhaps my problem is that my drive doesn't have the serial..?

Also, in your last post you said I need resistors and stuff...is that to test my homemade key extractor? If so, how exactly do I do that?

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate the help.

#7 yaywoop

yaywoop

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE(mdjd @ Jul 21 2009, 07:41 AM) View Post

majinsoftware - I read one of your other posts here

"^that isnt a 83850c, Thats just the old firmware with A0A2 hardware which can be flashed fine but some times misses serial data that has to be taken from the drive stickers."

What is this about missing serial data and taking it from drive stickers? Perhaps my problem is that my drive doesn't have the serial..?

Also, in your last post you said I need resistors and stuff...is that to test my homemade key extractor? If so, how exactly do I do that?

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate the help.

did you use the tutorial in my sig? have another look at it, i have added a troubleshooting section at the bottom, this will show you how to test it in hyperterm.

#8 mdjd

mdjd

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE(yaywoop @ Jul 20 2009, 06:18 PM) View Post

did you use the tutorial in my sig? have another look at it, i have added a troubleshooting section at the bottom, this will show you how to test it in hyperterm.

Hey thanks for the response...

HyperTerminal test works when I connect pins 2 and 3 so that means my com port is working.

However, Hyper test fails when testing probe on AA battery. I even tried to just put the wire on positive of battery instead of probe but that didn't work either.

I'm confused with this part from your tut... "- one of the components you used could be dead, usually the transistor is to blame. try another one. also check the resistor values with a multimeter if you have one. while you have the multimeter out, make sure the circuit outputs 5v to the serial port when the probe is not touching anything or touching ground, and 0V when the probe is connected to 1.5V."

This is the 2nd homemade extractor I made...all with new resistors and transistors.
I have a multimeter, but I don't really know how to use it. I turn it on to VDC I think? Then what do I put the red to and what do I put the black to if I want to do the above? Thanks for the help.

#9 mdjd

mdjd

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:15 AM

QUOTE(mdjd @ Jul 20 2009, 06:56 PM) View Post

Hey thanks for the response...

HyperTerminal test works when I connect pins 2 and 3 so that means my com port is working.

However, Hyper test fails when testing probe on AA battery. I even tried to just put the wire on positive of battery instead of probe but that didn't work either.

I'm confused with this part from your tut... "- one of the components you used could be dead, usually the transistor is to blame. try another one. also check the resistor values with a multimeter if you have one. while you have the multimeter out, make sure the circuit outputs 5v to the serial port when the probe is not touching anything or touching ground, and 0V when the probe is connected to 1.5V."

This is the 2nd homemade extractor I made...all with new resistors and transistors.
I have a multimeter, but I don't really know how to use it. I turn it on to VDC I think? Then what do I put the red to and what do I put the black to if I want to do the above? Thanks for the help.

Okay, I figured out how to test the resistors....they are good. Now for the transistor...still don't quite understand how to test that with the multimeter... or this part of the tut: "make sure the circuit outputs 5v to the serial port when the probe is not touching anything or touching ground, and 0V when the probe is connected to 1.5V."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users