Photo

Removing The Power Eject Buttons For Paint.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Quickblood

Quickblood

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 10:17 AM

I recently got hold of a broken second hand PS3 and replaced the lens and have it up and running. I figure while it's open I may as well replace the thermal compound and do a bit of case painting.

But I can't for the life of me figure out how you remove the power and eject buttons. Anyone have any ideas?

#2 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 July 2009 - 03:38 PM

That whole mess up there is held together with more than a few plastic pegs that have the tops melted to hold them in place, them some clips and some double sided adhesive. Ya pretty much have to take the whole front trim and everything off there to get to them.

#3 Quickblood

Quickblood

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:47 AM

Cheers mate but I'd done most of that work already. The vast majority of the stuff came apart pretty easily but this part just eludes me how do I get the buttons out. There's a thin piece of metal there do I prise those out or push them forward?

IPB Image

It's not obvious how this works, I take it the bit of plastic that the Power and eject buttons comes off but I'm not sure how I can get it off without applying force which may shatter it or whether I need to remove that plastic. uhh.gif

#4 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:21 PM

The Power and Eject 'buttons' are metal, and they're really no bigger than that part ya see there and are held in place by the whole top piece that's on the other side, that's the double sided adhesive/tape part of it. That plastic cover piece has to come off (opposite side of your pic) then the 'buttons' can come out. Have a look at the 3rd pic of BIMPtacular's PS3, you can see the rectangle piece over/around the buttons is removed.

You can stick that whole thing in the freezer for 20 minutes or so to aid in breaking the bond, or get out the hair dryer and warm it up and try to gently pry it off (same methods for removing the XBOX 'jewel' piece) but you'll have to use a little force on it either way, just start the prying on the left hand side of it, so if ya make any tool marks they'll be covered up by the other trim piece that sits over it.

#5 Quickblood

Quickblood

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:34 PM

Thanks a lot, now it all makes sense cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users