• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:31 AM

'Avatar: The Game' Requires HDMI For 3D Effects
Posted by XanTium | July 31 00:31 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From multiplayerblog.mtv.com:

"Avatar: The Game," based on the upcoming James Cameron movie, is one of the first titles to support fancy 3D effects on specially equipped TVs. Apparently you'll need more than just the TV, though.

Let's say you're a hardcore fan of the Xbox 360, and bought one at launch. Hell, let's say you bought one a year after launch. If you've got one of the early boxes, which don't have an HDMI-out, you're SOL when it comes to playing "Avatar: The Game" in 3D. Luc Duchaine, the game's senior international brand manager, confirmed today that the game will require 1080p resolution to see the 3D effects, and the only way you can get that on a 360 is through the HDMI port.

Full Story: multiplayerblog.mtv.com

#2 skylined

skylined

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:47 AM

well, i havent heard of this game but i'll bite just for the gimmick of it... atleast you could still play the game if you dont have HDMI though. Luckily (not luckily because of this...) but nonetheless luckily I have HDMI on mine.

Havent been in the forums since the prime of the first xbox, i miss it... sad.gif

#3 The_Flash

The_Flash

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:01 AM

I'm a little confused. Did the developer actually say HDMI is required, or is that the conclusion drawn by the article? The 360 is capable of 1080p over VGA for games and movies, and I thought that component was also capable of 1080p for games, but not video.

#4 ccfman2004

ccfman2004

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:02 AM

I have an xbox 360 made in May of 2006. It does not have an HDMI port and I can play games in 1080p through component. Why wouldn't this work? And yes my TV does say 1080p when I want to see what resolution I am playing at.

Edited by ccfman2004, 31 July 2009 - 06:03 AM.

#5 The_Flash

The_Flash

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:07 AM

Yeah, I think the writer's conclusion may be flawed. So while it may be true that 1080p is required for the 3D effects of the game, HDMI isn't the only connection that is capable of providing that resolution.

#6 xc1234

xc1234

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:49 AM

... does that game even run natively at 1080P? doubt it. either way this makes no sense.

#7 WOlfSaviorZX

WOlfSaviorZX

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:31 AM

Actually it had nothing to do with 1080P. Some(okay like 2) tvs support these 3d effects through hdmi. I seen one of these tvs before, they suck and this game will suck too. WHY are we doing completely stupid gimmicks like this I wonder. Either way who cares?

#8 Foe-hammer

Foe-hammer

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, body building, video games
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:27 AM

VGA and component both support 1080p. Most TV's do not support 1080p component, and most (all that i'm aware of) support 1080p vga. It's not a limitation on analog video.

#9 WOlfSaviorZX

WOlfSaviorZX

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:45 AM

QUOTE(Foe-hammer @ Jul 31 2009, 02:27 AM) View Post

VGA and component both support 1080p. Most TV's do not support 1080p component, and most (all that i'm aware of) support 1080p vga. It's not a limitation on analog video.

Actually as far as I know, analog video doesn't support the necessary information needed to use the 3d effects that the TV's use. The resolution has nothing to do with the "3d effects" but I can almost guarantee this game doesn't even support 1080P anyway. If it does then it will suffer because if games like Halo 3 (620P) and Metal Gear Solid 4 (720P) doesn't support 1080P when they have the some of the best developers there are on it then I doubt these clowns can make a decent looking game that also support 1080P unless they use a lot of pre rendered backgrounds and if that is the case, 360 owners better be ready for a multi disk game. Either way I doubt many if even a couple have these special TVs.

#10 vinchenzison

vinchenzison

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:20 AM

To be honest, if you can afford a 3DTV already then paying 100 for an xbox arcade with hdmi isn't gonna break the bank!

#11 Martinchris23

Martinchris23

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:24 AM

Luc Duchaine, the game's senior international brand manager, confirmed today that the game will require 1080p resolution to see the 3D effects, and the only way you can get that on a 360 is through the HDMI port.

Probably the biggest reason why journalists writing on technical articles should have a half-decent level of competency. 1080p is supported over Component and VGA (as others have said) and according to the brand manager if this is the only reason why HDMI is required, the entire article is a non sequitor.

#12 fatvince

fatvince

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:10 AM

Native VGA support was one of the smartest things M$ ever did with the 360. Kudos to whoever came up with the idea.

#13 hamwbone

hamwbone

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE(vinchenzison @ Jul 31 2009, 04:20 AM) View Post

To be honest, if you can afford a 3DTV already then paying 100 for an xbox arcade with hdmi isn't gonna break the bank!

alot of DLP in peoples homes actually support the 3d effect(alot might be an overstatement heh)
anywho, it really is pushed on the product packaging or in the pitch for the tv

#14 Rage2wrath

Rage2wrath

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:42 PM

I used to work for a home theater company and I know what they are talking about. A few DLP TVs made by Samsung and Mitsubishi have the ability to produce 3d Effects like those in the theater. It has nothing to do with the resolution but you do need a digital connection to work. I have actually used the technology before and it is pretty amazing. You need like $300 glasses that wirelessly communicate with a box that plugs into the back of the TV. Other than this game I have only ever heard of the tech being used on PC DVD playback software.

#15 chronno

chronno

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Xbox, Xbox, XBox
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE(Rage2wrath @ Jul 31 2009, 01:42 PM) View Post

I used to work for a home theater company and I know what they are talking about. A few DLP TVs made by Samsung and Mitsubishi have the ability to produce 3d Effects like those in the theater. It has nothing to do with the resolution but you do need a digital connection to work. I have actually used the technology before and it is pretty amazing. You need like $300 glasses that wirelessly communicate with a box that plugs into the back of the TV. Other than this game I have only ever heard of the tech being used on PC DVD playback software.

So, not only do you need one of these fancy TVs and an Xbox 360 with an HDMI output but you also need wireless 3D glasses? Don't those things damage your eyes if you use them long enough? At least it's an Avatar game, it will be played for 5min tops. At this point, I don't think a person who has the TV and the glasses doesn't have a new Xbox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users